IGNORED

Lori Alexander, there's an elephant in your room

Yes, Lori again. She's always good for some snark

He said it was because of the culture of guns and they would both be alive if the man didn't have a gun.

Excuse me, Bob! Have you never heard of knives, strangling, or baseball bats.

Anything can be a weapon, but Lori misses the point as usual.

If during those mass killings when some whacko shoots a ton of people, if one of those people being shot at were carrying a gun, many lives could have been saved.

Maybe, maybe not. Personally I'm not too comfortable thinking several people sitting in class with behind me or shopping around me or nearby me in a theatre or anywhere have loaded guns. :shifty:

Instead, they should be asking if this man had a strong father when he was being raised? Did he go to church consistently? Unfortunately, they would never ask these questions. They don't seem to believe in evil except in the case of Christians. They think we are evil because we believe abortion is wrong and marriage should be between a man and a woman, but mostly because we believe in a just, holy, and loving God

I don't think you are evil, Lori. I think you're a self-righteous, hypocritical, arrogant, priviledged asshole. Do you have an empathetic molecule in your body?

The breakdown of the family, throwing biblical values out the window, a huge welfare state that gives many able-bodied people money for free, and self-discipline not being taught is the problem.

I have no response. She can't be reasoned with, but I will say that murder has existed since the beginning of time. Lori surely knows about the Cain and Abel myth, right? Right? It's in the Bible. And I'll also say that I don't get how someone getting welfare has anything to do with the KC Chief player committing murder-suicide.

I think it may be time for all law abiding citizens to buy a gun to protect their families from evil men intent on doing their families harm since this government no longer thinks protecting its citizens is a priority.

The government doesn't think it's necessary to protect its citizens anymore? I must have missed that memo.

Think a little, please!

Funny, everything time I read a blog post of Lori's, I desire to tell her the same thing...

lorialexander.blogspot.com/

Anything can be a weapon, but Lori misses the point as usual.

Maybe, maybe not. Personally I'm not too comfortable thinking several people sitting in class with behind me or shopping around me or nearby me in a theatre or anywhere have loaded guns. :shifty:

The thing is, we don't know that no one had a gun at . For example, I'd be very surprised to learn that no one at the Aurora, CO theater was packing heat. But someone who feels the need to carry a gun to a movie theater isn't the bravest cowboy at the OK corral. What do you expect them to say? "Yeah, I had a gun but I was curled up in a ball, wetting my pants, and crying like a baby while the shooting was going on."

The thing is, we don't know that no one had a gun at . For example, I'd be very surprised to learn that no one at the Aurora, CO theater was packing heat. But someone who feels the need to carry a gun to a movie theater isn't the bravest cowboy at the OK corral. What do you expect them to say? "Yeah, I had a gun but I was curled up in a ball, wetting my pants, and crying like a baby while the shooting was going on."

I had the same thought. In the heat of the moment, it may not occur to someone to pull out their weapon. A lot of the shootings happen rather fast it seems. No one knows what they'd do, but I highly doubt Lori or her husband would pull out a gun and shoot should such a situation arise. As much as I dislike Lori and Ken, I hope they never have to know what to do in such a situation. No one deserves to be in such a situation.

I'd like to posit that a smart person does NOT pull out their gun and start shooting in a situation like the one at the theater. Dark theater, tear gas, confusion, chaos, a smart gun owner does not start shooting shit up at that point. An even smarter one doesn't cop to having a gun at the time either because internet tough guys will be like "well, if I wasn't a pussy like him and I'm not I would have totally got the guy with one shot even when blinded by tear gas in a dark theater!" or whatever.

I have family members with schizophrenia. Do they have strong fathers? Yes. Do they go to church consistently? Yes. Do I believe they are capable of mass murder? YES! Give them a weapon and take their medication away and I believe my relatives would be capable of terrible things.

I'm not claiming that all people that commit mass murder have mental illness nor do I think mental illness is an excuse for doing bad things.

I do think people like Lori need to get it through their heads that having everyone live a fundy Christian lifestyle will not solve all the worlds problems.

In the Gabby Giffords shooting, one of the men in that grocery store had a concealed gun but he didn't fire because there was a crowd. It is hard to tell if someone carrying a gun could save lives if mass shooting occurs in a public place. I'm fine with gun ownership mainly because I grew up with a father and other relatives who were gun owners.

I will never understand why they want to put the blame on something or someone else, not on the person who committed evil. Instead, they should be asking if this man had a strong father when he was being raised? Did he go to church consistently? Unfortunately, they would never ask these questions.

When mass shootings happen, the backgounds/family life of the killers are always questioned by different people. I read Dave Cullen's book Columbine a couple of years ago. He questioned the background of the parents. Both Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris had strong and involved fathers. But with Eric, it has been speculated that his father was too lenient at times. I can't remember if Eric's family was religious, but the Klebolds attended a Lutheran church and practiced some Jewish traditions because Sue was part Jewish. Even way before Dave Cullen's book came out, people were asking about the Harrises and Klebolds. Information about the families were released in articles over the years. Both sets of parents received threats and harassing phone calls. Lori is stupid to say that people don't question the backgrounds of mass shooters.

They don't seem to believe in evil except in the case of Christians. They think we are evil because we believe abortion is wrong and marriage should be between a man and a woman, but mostly because we believe in a just, holy, and loving God.

I guess Lori is crying persecution. As an atheist, I acknowledge that people of various religious and beliefs commit evil acts.

There was almost certainly someone with a gun in that movie theater. It is right near a military base and in a heavily conservative area overrun with TPers with concealed weapons permits. I have a ex-relative who lives near there (also near Columbine High School, as a matter of fact) and carrying weapons is not unusual at all from what I hear.

Someone was smart enough not to brandish a weapon or even mention the weapon, and I commend them for it.

As for strangling etc, it is hard to kill people en masse without the methods she listed.

It's really annoying how people think they would be these super awesome action heroes if THEY were carrying a gun when it just so hapless that Evil Trenchcoat Wearing Schizo du jour opened fire on innocent people. In fact I think its a worse delusion than whatever drives people to kill in the first place. It's victim blaming. That's exactly what it is, victim blaming. As if a woman is going to expect her boyfriend to shoot her, or a classroom full of unarmed college students is going to expect some random guy to burst in and shoot up the joint. Shootings do happen very quickly. The best way not to get shot is to get out of the way, and let cops in kevlar handle the shooter.

The gun nuts' reaction to mass shootings is disgusting. Absolutely fucking disgusting. They are paranoid dumbfucks with an over inflated opinion if themselves. And most of them probably don't even own guns...they certainly shouldn't.

And to blame it all on the so-called decline of Christian values and cry persecution when religion had nothing to so with it? Fuck you, Lori.

I'd like to posit that a smart person does NOT pull out their gun and start shooting in a situation like the one at the theater. Dark theater, tear gas, confusion, chaos, a smart gun owner does not start shooting shit up at that point. An even smarter one doesn't cop to having a gun at the time either because internet tough guys will be like "well, if I wasn't a pussy like him and I'm not I would have totally got the guy with one shot even when blinded by tear gas in a dark theater!" or whatever.

Can you imagine how disastrous it would be if a second person HAD started shooting? There would be twice as many victims! It's just as well that if anyone there did have a gun, they did the right thing and didn't fire it.

Like you've said, darkness, gas, noise, etc. how could they possibly shoot the guy in question amongst all that? Assuming they were an accurate shot to begin with.

And does she seriously not realise that it's easier to commit mass murders with a semi-automatic weapon compared to, um, a rope for strangling, or a bat for hitting? Really? Can you walk into a room and strangle them all without being overpowered or taking half an hour? No! You can spray them all with bullets and have them dead in less than a minute, though. That is such an astounding logic fail. I'm against all guns, but if I had to choose I'd say people should carry a handgun with six shots, and no civilian should have access to anything semi-automatic or automatic with bullets that just feed in or whatever.

I'm in favour of gun ownership including semiautos, if controlled. And fuck you Lori

That was not a situation where a second gunman would have done anything but make it worse. Guns aren't the magic cure for bad situations.

Fucking ballistics 101, Lori. Take a wild guess as to what an extra shooter firing randomly into the dark might achieve.

Here is something that all the "If I was there and had mah gun" wankers miss.....Dude was head to toe in bullet proof armor. No, you would NOT have taken him down, dumbass. Hell, I am positive none of them would be able to take the guy down from 10 feet away in a clearear situation-without harm to anyone else. Idiots who spout off and run their yaps like that are usually the first to cower and hide.

It's really annoying how people think they would be these super awesome action heroes if THEY were carrying a gun when it just so hapless that Evil Trenchcoat Wearing Schizo du jour opened fire on innocent people. In fact I think its a worse delusion than whatever drives people to kill in the first place. It's victim blaming. That's exactly what it is, victim blaming. As if a woman is going to expect her boyfriend to shoot her, or a classroom full of unarmed college students is going to expect some random guy to burst in and shoot up the joint. Shootings do happen very quickly. The best way not to get shot is to get out of the way, and let cops in kevlar handle the shooter.

The gun nuts' reaction to mass shootings is disgusting. Absolutely fucking disgusting. They are paranoid dumbfucks with an over inflated opinion if themselves. And most of them probably don't even own guns...they certainly shouldn't.

And to blame it all on the so-called decline of Christian values and cry persecution when religion had nothing to so with it? Fuck you, Lori.

THIS. 1000xTHIS.

The whole cowboy revenge fantasy that they could have saved the day and the poeple who died where a bunch of sheeple is grossly insensitive to the victims suffering and loss. I am certain that if any of the victims in the the the aurrora attacks had shot back likely there would have been a greater rate of injury and death.

I suspec the psychology of victim blaming is that we don't really want to accept the idea that bad things can happa at random to innocent unsuspecting people and that despite our best efforts we to could be a random victim of some cruelty so we try and find ways to explain why those people deserved to have bad things happen them.

I suspec the psychology of victim blaming is that we don't really want to accept the idea that bad things can happa at random to innocent unsuspecting people and that despite our best efforts we to could be a random victim of some cruelty so we try and find ways to explain why those people deserved to have bad things happen them.

That actually is it, and that's why so many people went nuts with the "what were kids doing at a midnight screening of a violent film?" thing (which incidentally I agree with, it's pretty poor form to take your kids to something like that, but that doesn't mean in any way the kids or the parents deserved to GET SHOT or DIE, nor should they expect that as a risk).

Some people even took it further and tried to say it was violent/Hollywood movies as a whole and people following those things should expect to be shot.

Saying someone should have had a gun to shoot back is a little different though. I mean, surely these people can accept it was tragic without trying to find some sort of justification as to why it wasn't them/couldn't have been them? They just weren't in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Shooting back is a terrible idea, with all of the people running around trying to get out of the way, not being able to see where youre going. Youre more likely to shoot an innocent person, and/or get arrested for being part of it, when the cops come, theyre obviously going to see you with a gun in there shooting at people and think you are the criminal.

I have a concealed carry permit, but I do not carry a gun with me. I took the class because it was interesting and I enjoyed the target practice. The instructor said several times that it's incredibly stupid to pull out a weapon if you aren't completely willing and able to use it at that exact moment. So, let's say there was someone at that movie theater with a concealed weapon. They may not have actually seen the shooter because of tear gas. They may have been unsure of getting a clear shot. They may have put priority on shielding/protecting someone else (as I would certainly do if I had my children with me). There are lots of reasons that people with guns might not whip them out at any given time. If they're willing to brandish any old time, they shouldn't have the permit in the first place, IMO.

I wonder what the criminal implications would be for someone who shoots back and injures/ kills innocents.

Should be close to the main shooter, with extra tossed on for being a dipshit.

Instead, they should be asking if this man had a strong father when he was being raised? Did he go to church consistently? Unfortunately, they would never ask these questions. They don't seem to believe in evil except in the case of Christians. They think we are evil because we believe abortion is wrong and marriage should be between a man and a woman, but mostly because we believe in a just, holy, and loving God

That's some awesome logic. The lack of a father and the lack of a church background when being reared are the reasons? Persecution of Christians (and I am one) are the reasons? Too funny.

When I talk with people about Christianity and other faiths, they don't seem to bring up the reasons she cites. It's more like, ok, if you believe in Christ, put your feet on the ground and employ those Beatitudes...do what you think He is *for* rather than spending so much time railing about what you are *against.* And that makes me remember the verse about doing in private, not standing on a street corner and preaching about it so everyone knows how great we Christians are. When Christ was demonstrative, it was because people were taking advantage of other people. Like the money-changers in the Temple on a feast day; or calling someone out for something, when each of us has our own "sins" in life.

Plank, and all.

I wonder what the criminal implications would be for someone who shoots back and injures/ kills innocents.

Should be close to the main shooter, with extra tossed on for being a dipshit.

Wouldn't the first shooter also take the blame for that if it was proved the second person was doing it in self-defense? I don't know if that counts as felony murder, but...

Wouldn't the first shooter also take the blame for that if it was proved the second person was doing it in self-defense? I don't know if that counts as felony murder, but...

Could be manslaughter if they were reckless about shooting.

So the welfare state and people's fathers' church attendance are deciding factors in whether they become mass murderers, and more people shooting blindly in a crowded theatre would have meant fewer deaths. I see Lori's understanding of psychology and physics is as sketchy as the rest of her knowledge base.

Edited because I know how to spell Lori's name.

Edited again because fuck, this woman's name is in the title of the thread, I must be able to spell it.

I have a concealed carry permit, but I do not carry a gun with me. I took the class because it was interesting and I enjoyed the target practice. The instructor said several times that it's incredibly stupid to pull out a weapon if you aren't completely willing and able to use it at that exact moment. So, let's say there was someone at that movie theater with a concealed weapon. They may not have actually seen the shooter because of tear gas. They may have been unsure of getting a clear shot. They may have put priority on shielding/protecting someone else (as I would certainly do if I had my children with me). There are lots of reasons that people with guns might not whip them out at any given time. If they're willing to brandish any old time, they shouldn't have the permit in the first place, IMO.

Exactly. I get really tired of the whole "Cowboy" attitude with guns. Responsible, trained gun owners don't go around pulling their gun out unless they KNOW they can use it responsibly. I do not have a CNC, but I've been around guns my entire life. I think of TV cops running down the street, shooting at the suspects or exchanging gunfire. That is the STUPIDEST thing. A lot of the gun culture here in the US does not seem to really know/understand the difference.

Wouldn't you also have even more chaos if someone else started shooting in a theatre? There would be gunfire from more than 1 direction, and you'd get people shooting at the guy who was trying to shoot at the shooter.

I will never understand why they want to put the blame on something or someone else, not on the person who committed evil. Instead, they should be asking if this man had a strong father when he was being raised? Did he go to church consistently? Unfortunately, they would never ask these questions.

And Lori contradicts herself right here.

Archived