IGNORED

Article on Bill Gothard and 'mainstreaming' Fundamentalism

Soldier of the One

I love 'Religious Dispatches' in any case, but thought this article was particularly relevant to FJ:

religiondispatches.org/archive/politics/4094/%E2%80%9Ctaliban_dan%E2%80%99s%E2%80%9D_teacher%3A_inside_bill_gothard%E2%80%99s_authoritarian_subculture

The reporter basically discusses how Bill Gothard's ATI is becoming increasingly intertwined with certain Republican candidates and discusses the impact of fundamentalist Christianity on politics as a whole, demonstrating that fundie views are becoming increasingly mainstream.

That was a great article, one that would even be a good one to send to anyone when you're trying to explain this guy and why he's such a nut. Also the site that it was from is pretty darned nifty too, lots of good articles!

Among other things, Eliza said, Gothard would not permit boys and girls to talk to each other, demanded a strict dress code, taught that girls should never run, and demanded that girls style their hair wavy—not straight or curly—because “wavy hair is attractive and becoming—it causes you to focus on the woman’s face instead of her body.†Gothard’s approved wavy hairstyle is meant, she said, “to attract men to your bright eyes, which will attract them to God, instead of your body.â€

No wonder that all the Duggar girls used to all have wavy hair.

After reading Jeff Sharlet's book "The Family," this surprises me not at all.

No wonder that all the Duggar girls used to all have wavy hair.

Yes, the wavy hair bit was probably one of the most bizarre citations of the article. Jaw-dropping, in fact.

Also, any thoughts on why Bill Gothard isn't married?

Also, any thoughts on why Bill Gothard isn't married?

My money is on "because he's a gay man".... of the self-hating variety, of course.

I just sent this article to my sister, who believes the Duggars are just a "nice family with good values". Riiiiiiight.

Well good for you, Angri-la. Whether or not people are nice as individuals does not preclude them from espousing ideas that could be detrimental for the rest of society, or at least, the female and non-hetero half. There are Fundie bloggers I have sympathy for, because they seem like genuinely nice people. And there are Fundie values that I can appreciate and relate to on a case-by-case basis. But the mysogyny, homophobia and Dominionism are very scary, especially when combined.

Well good for you, Angri-la. Whether or not people are nice as individuals does not preclude them from espousing ideas that could be detrimental for the rest of society, or at least, the female and non-hetero half. There are Fundie bloggers I have sympathy for, because they seem like genuinely nice people. And there are Fundie values that I can appreciate and relate to on a case-by-case basis. But the mysogyny, homophobia and Dominionism are very scary, especially when combined.

Exactly. Like, I'm sure most Germans were really nice, friendly people who wouldn't have hurt a fly, but that didn't keep them from supporting people and policies that wound up killing 7 million Jews.

The Christians have the saying "Love the sinner, hate the sin." Well I think we here at FJ should love the fundies, but hate their regressive and horrible theology.

Ah thank you so much for posting this article. I'm bookmarking this for future reference. I live in Arkansas and there are lots of gothard tentacles in state politics--especially in Northwest Arkansas...

SamuraiKatz

OMG!!! Seriously WTF!?!?

"Gothard’s own brother, who worked for IBLP, was dismissed from his organization after it was discovered that he was having sex with students"

Talk about SIN IN THE CAMP!?!

Archived