IGNORED

Philippians 4:8 Gets Misused A Lot

debrand

I was curious, have any of you ever had Philippian 4:8 used against you? Usually, I've heard it used to condemn anyone that does anything that the speaker or writer dislikes. I was curious if there are any bible verses that you've heard/read that are commonly used to disapprove of everything in the same way that Philippians 4:8 is used?

Here either Ray Comfort or one of his cohorts tell his followers not to have negative thoughts based on Philippians 4:8

onthebox.us/2012/01/stop-wrong-thinking.html

gotquestions.org/secular-music.html

My former pastor tried to convince me that I should never listen to anything but Christian music because of Philippians 4:8

Whatever a person allows to occupy his mind will sooner or later determine his speech and his actions. This is the premise behind Philippians 4:8 and Colossians 3:2, 5: establishing wholesome thought patterns. Second Corinthians 10:5 says we should “take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ.†These Scriptures give a clear picture of the kind of music we should not listen to.

Obviously, the best kind of music is that which praises and glorifies God. Talented Christian musicians work in nearly every musical genre, ranging from classical to rock, rap, and reggae. There is nothing inherently wrong with any particular style of music. It is the lyrics that determine whether a song is “acceptable†for a Christian to listen to. If anything leads you to think about or get involved in something that does not glorify God, it should be avoided.

Use it to destroy your music or video collections

preengaged.com/does-it-pass-the-philippians-4-test/

My hope for your relationship is that both of you are seeking to do God’s will in every area of your lives. With that being said, let me suggest that you and your future spouse go through your movies, music, and other forms of entertainment (books, magazines, etc.) and do a Philippians 4:8 cleansing before getting married. Some people just throw the items away while others have bonfires or other ceremonial ways of destroying unwanted materials. Choose to go into your future marriage filling your home with media that brings Him glory. A peaceful, God centered home is worth more than the enjoyment of any movie, TV show or song

Here it is used against Halloween

jeffshort.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/is-halloween-a-healthy-holiday/

First, the themes of Halloween are far from healthy mentally and emotionally. Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.†The Apostle Paul is trying to teach Christians to meditate or reflect on mentally, emotionally and spiritual healthy things, as opposed to dwelling on things that cause us harm. “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he,†says another passage

To convince people not to read Harry Potter

On top of what the Bible says about witchcraft, don’t forget that the Harry Potter movies have become increasingly dark. Having read the book, I’m pretty sure that the next two movies will involve murder, torture, cursing, and things of that sort that Christians should think twice about before viewing. I think that a lot of people (me in the past included) are willing to write off those blemishes in the movies and books because they like the story . Let us never become desensitized. At some point we have to go back to Philippians 4:8.

To conclude this post, I can’t say that I condemn Harry Potter outright. However, due to all of the things I discussed above, I don’t feel comfortable with being involved in the stories anymore. With the evidence against it I don’t want to take the chance. Like I said before, the stories are incredibly well-written and I really enjoyed them, so if anyone can justify it please share. If we can’t justify it by the Book, we shouldn’t do it.

Weird. That's one of our sorority prayers, so that's the only context I've ever heard it in. I've never seen it used to discourage bad thoughts or whatever, but it just goes to show that nothing is ever good enough for these people. You can't even think negative thoughts? Like for real? I guess if you think that deep down we're really all depraved sinners, it makes a kind of sense.

Weird. That's one of our sorority prayers, so that's the only context I've ever heard it in. I've never seen it used to discourage bad thoughts or whatever, but it just goes to show that nothing is ever good enough for these people. You can't even think negative thoughts? Like for real? I guess if you think that deep down we're really all depraved sinners, it makes a kind of sense.

Fundies tend to take good ideas and exaggerate them until they become something negative. It is a good idea to try to be positive but it is impossible to force yourself to only have positive thougths or emotions.

people that think only happy christian thoughts are people that do nothing worthwhile in the world and are sheeple to the leaders. They can't have empathy or understand the poor. they can't have true emotions.

Cherry-picking at it's finest. Philippians 4:8 doesn't have an "or else" attached to it. It is, however frequently twisted around and used with other scriptures to create an "or else".

The only time I've been instructed to use this verse was toward the spouse- that it is better to focus on the good qualities and moments, than to dwell on the negative and nag. When put in this context, I think the verse is very nice and useful! But never would I have used it to point out flaws in something else... isn't that THE OPPOSITE of what the verse is telling us to do?

There are days I wish that nobody had ever had the bright idea of versifying the Bible (centuries after it was first written down, BTW). Quoting chapter and verse is such a convenient way of not thinking about what the Bible writer was actually saying.

So. Let's use that dreaded lukewarm mainstream worldly word, "context."

The letter of Paul and Timotheus to the church in Philippi is a long list of hellos, thank-yous, reminders, recommendations, and prayers. It rambles along sort of like this: I miss you guys, yes I'm in prison but don't worry about me because I am doing missionary work even in here, all y'all are doing well--just keep on doing what you're doing because I am hearing about you from people who visit, take care of each other okay, remember Christ's teachings, I (Paul speaking) am going to send Timotheus your way, also Epaphroditus who is bringing you this letter is solid so rely on him, yes he was sick but he's okay now, BTW he only got sick because he was working like a mule to take care of me because you all weren't helping out hint hint, Chapter 3 is one of Paul's paragraph-long sentences laying out his understanding of salvation with umpteen clauses (bless you Epaphroditus for keeping up with this), so with all this in mind hang in there guys, hey Euodias and Syntyche would you please try to get along, all y'all help them out because they are working hard, a whole bunch of closing thoughts because this letter is about half closing thoughts, seriously, the first time "Finally, brethren" appears is in the middle, aaaand THEN we get to 4:8, which is like the second time the letter tries to end. The part after that is mainly Paul assuring the Philippians that while it took a while for the stuff they sent to the prison to reach him, he did in fact get the care package, and he does remember that they were the only congregation in the area that even how they could help him out that one time. Maybe this is a hasty PS because he dictated the first part of the letter before the care package arrived--? Anyway, then the letter ends for the third time and for real.

In context, then, 4:8 is one of a lot of things Paul wants to say to his friends in Philippi, mostly dealing with how to get along with each other and live as Christians. And it does not, emphatically does not, mean "do not taste, do not handle, do not touch." Paul's recommendations are all positive: rejoice, be moderate, keep in mind the things I taught you, etc.

I like Philippians because it's such a personal letter. It gives the impression that Paul was in a hurry, maybe a little distracted, but really wanting to get the letter done and sent because he cared about his friends.

There are days I wish that nobody had ever had the bright idea of versifying the Bible (centuries after it was first written down, BTW). Quoting chapter and verse is such a convenient way of not thinking about what the Bible writer was actually saying.

The letter of Paul and Timotheus to the church in Philippi is a long list of hellos, thank-yous, reminders, recommendations, and prayers. It rambles along sort of like this: I miss you guys, yes I'm in prison but don't worry about me because I am doing missionary work even in here, all y'all are doing well--just keep on doing what you're doing because I am hearing about you from people who visit, take care of each other okay, remember Christ's teachings, I (Paul speaking) am going to send Timotheus your way, also Epaphroditus who is bringing you this letter is solid so rely on him, yes he was sick but he's okay now, BTW he only got sick because he was working like a mule to take care of me because you all weren't helping out hint hint, Chapter 3 is one of Paul's paragraph-long sentences laying out his understanding of salvation with umpteen clauses (bless you Epaphroditus for keeping up with this), so with all this in mind hang in there guys, hey Euodias and Syntyche would you please try to get along, all y'all help them out because they are working hard, a whole bunch of closing thoughts because this letter is about half closing thoughts, seriously, the first time "Finally, brethren" appears is in the middle, aaaand THEN we get to 4:8, which is like the second time the letter tries to end. The part after that is mainly Paul assuring the Philippians that while it took a while for the stuff they sent to the prison to reach him, he did in fact get the care package, and he does remember that they were the only congregation in the area that even how they could help him out that one time. Maybe this is a hasty PS because he dictated the first part of the letter before the care package arrived--? Anyway, then the letter ends for the third time and for real.

In context, then, 4:8 is one of a lot of things Paul wants to say to his friends in Philippi, mostly dealing with how to get along with each other and live as Christians. And it does not, emphatically does not, mean "do not taste, do not handle, do not touch." Paul's recommendations are all positive: rejoice, be moderate, keep in mind the things I taught you, etc.

I like Philippians because it's such a personal letter. It gives the impression that Paul was in a hurry, maybe a little distracted, but really wanting to get the letter done and sent because he cared about his friends.

This is great! Normally, Paul makes me want to shove scissors through my eye, but I love the jenny_islander version :lol: I would love to see a JIV Bible.

Jenny Islander, that was brilliant and I agree with you that I wish the New Testament had never been versified. Although the chapter and verse references probably make the bible easier to study, it also encourages some fundies to act as though a verse is a complete, binding thought. It isn't. Everything has to be read in context.

Looking back over Philippians, one thing really jumps out at me: Paul's admonishment to practice moderation. He says, "Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I say, Rejoice," but he also tells the Philippians to be moderate. He gives the recommendations in 4:8, but he also tells them to practice moderation. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," he says, but he also says, "Be moderate."

Modern fundamentalists who try to be smiley all the time because of the admonition to rejoice, and try (and fail) not to think about certain things because of the instruction to think about certain other things, and break their health trying to do all things . . . they really ought to read the entire letter.

Debrand, I did a doubletake when I saw you quoted preengaged.com! My husband and I went to college with Eric and Heather Viets. An odd couple for sure.

Wfrenchtoast, we use that verse in my sorority as well! PPL?!

Just wanted to say that I read Philippians today after reading your paraphrase here and I must say that I got a lot more out of it. So, thank you! Paul really knows how to ramble on and on. I like your version! :)

Archived