IGNORED

Are fundies prone to accepting authoritarian gov't?

YPestis

This is not a political statement. I was wondering if fundies are more susceptible or accepting of an authoritarian governmental system. I know that in our the US political system, fundies appear to be very anti-government, but I always thought it was because of the secular nature of our government.

I hypothesize that given the non-questioning and strict hierarchical nature their family structure, fundies are trained to be more comfortable in a nondemocratic system. Take their treatment of women. They are trained to believe it is within women's nature to be a follower and it is man's natural state to lead women. Children, of course, should obey parents unquestioning and eagerly.

Are those attitudes easily translated to how dictatorships work? The idea that some men are born natural leaders and other men are followers? And that the one who follows should do so unquestioningly, and the one who leads should receive unconditioned support of his followers? That's the power dynamic they model on marriages, right? Plus, we know that fundies view the world in black and white, with a bit of fire and brimstone added to it, so it seems a democracy would sit uneasily with them. Those people born to follower (all women, some men) are deciding future leaders! They won't know whom to vote for! Some people are just not born to lead!

Anyway, this post just popped into my head again after reading those threads about how women are evil for choosing college and careers etc.

I'm curious as to what people more familiar with fundies will have to say to this, but I wonder if they'd know they were under an authoritarian government. A lot of them literally believe Obama is a fascist.

Of course they are. They become more gullible and controllable the more they believe. Just look at the duggers and gothard. All it takes us a smooth talker that seems to have the same beliefs. History has shown this.

I think they would be prone to accepting anything if it comes with a pretty Christian label and preferably is presented by a white male.

A lot of what they advocate boils down to an authoritarian government, one that executes people for sexual preference and tells women how they must dress/procreate/etc. The main difference is that they don't want to give up their guns, but the right Christian preacher could convince them once they are in control.

I'm curious as to what people more familiar with fundies will have to say to this, but I wonder if they'd know they were under an authoritarian government. A lot of them literally believe Obama is a fascist.

They believe the pile of shit that their ministers and godly men spoon feed them. Facts no longer matter to some.

I think they would be prone to accepting anything if it comes with a pretty Christian label and preferably is presented by a white male.

A lot of what they advocate boils down to an authoritarian government, one that executes people for sexual preference and tells women how they must dress/procreate/etc. The main difference is that they don't want to give up their guns, but the right Christian preacher could convince them once they are in control.

What about someone like Steve Maxwell? He doesn't strike me as someone who likes being told what to do. I think he'd be happiest running the show. Or is he too much of a cult leader to be representative of fundies in general?

I think i read a while back that the conservative brain is more "fearful" than a liberal brain. Or at least those who self-identify as conservative have brain functions that are more easily manipulated by fear than those who participated in the study who self identified as liberal.

My personal experience would say that it appears to me that the fundies/extreme conservatives are most definitively different, possibly in a molecular, biological way. I don't think it's necessarily nurture or experience vs biology. I grew up in the same neighborhood with a friend for the same length of time, same racial make up, same private school, etc, and she's an uber conservative, anti-choice, anti-muslim, etc and I'm what some people think of as an extreme liberal, although I think I'm more moderate.

What about someone like Steve Maxwell? He doesn't strike me as someone who likes being told what to do. I think he'd be happiest running the show. Or is he too much of a cult leader to be representative of fundies in general?

he thinks he is at the top so he is the leader. god himself on earth.

As long as it fell within mainstream fundie beliefs, he would be down. Imagine if every child was homeschooled, all women wore long skirts or suffered the "consequences" of rape and shaming, divorce and birth control were illegal, alcohol was not allowed at stores, etc. He would put up with a lot of control if it was Christian leaning control. If anything, he would become more extreme so he could feel superior to the masses still. I think he gets off on superiority more than control, to be honest.

Archived