IGNORED

Crazy Jewish Convert getting married

Beeks

Mazal Tov to her! She didn't waste much time, did she? I wonder what her husband's background is - fellow convert? Baal teshuvah?

Guest Anonymous
Link please

crazyjewishconvert.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/somebodys-getting-married-today.html

Good for her!

I know we're supposed to be happy and everything, but I made the mistake of scrolling down. Now I am irked:

What a ridiculous reason to ignore a terrorist attack at the Olympics! We give in to terrorist attacks in order to prevent more terrorist attacks at this event to promote international comraderie? Has that appeasement method worked for you in the past, London?

crazyjewishconvert.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/why-i-wont-be-watching-olympics.html

Never miss an opportunity to make a Godwin! Even though the decision seems to have been made by the IOC and not the British Olympic association. Also, the Olympics is every four years, so literally every Olympics is an anniversary.

She rarely posts anymore as someone got her personal information (home address?) but I keep her blog in my Google reader for just such occasions.

• 2 weeks later...

Quoting from her:

On the 40th anniversary of the murder of 11 Israeli athletes in the Munich 1972 Olympic village, the International Olympic Committee refuses (again) to allow one moment of silence in memoriam. Why? Because apparently "Arab nations" have vowed to walk out.

As is their right. But Arabs don't have a great record on other nations letting them have their rights, do they?

There has never been any Olympic effort to memorialize the victims. These athletes hoped to practice this IOC-recognized "human right" of playing sports, and they were murdered for it.

Yeah, that was it. Those dirty Ay-rabs saw decent Israelis playing sports and, er, hated them for their sporting prowess.

Is it possible to get any more stupid? If so I'd be intrigued to see it.

What a ridiculous reason to ignore a terrorist attack at the Olympics! We give in to terrorist attacks in order to prevent more terrorist attacks at this event to promote international comraderie? Has that appeasement method worked for you in the past, London?

We can spell, though. It's called "cameraderie".

This aside, I strongly doubt the 1938 efforts to avoid war have anything to do with this. Or that the Arab delegations or Middle Eastern delegations (forgetting that tiny PERFECT state, Israel) were prepared to launch suicide bombs because of a memorial. That...tends not to happen amongst Olympic athletes.

I suppose the irony was much stronger in 2002 since we had a moment of silence for American victims of an Islamist terror attack, but not for the victims of an Islamist terror attack at the Olympics itself.

Munich was not an "Islamist" attack. The ideas "Islamist" and "attack carried out by people who happen to be culturally Muslims in pursuit of a political ideal" are completely different.

It's like saying the RIRA carry out "Catholic attacks". Which I noticed with the Provo support in America people were reluctant to do. But then, the people involved weren't brown.

Quoting from her:

As is their right. But Arabs don't have a great record on other nations letting them have their rights, do they?

Yeah, that was it. Those dirty Ay-rabs saw decent Israelis playing sports and, er, hated them for their sporting prowess.

Is it possible to get any more stupid? If so I'd be intrigued to see it.

We can spell, though. It's called "cameraderie".

This aside, I strongly doubt the 1938 efforts to avoid war have anything to do with this. Or that the Arab delegations or Middle Eastern delegations (forgetting that tiny PERFECT state, Israel) were prepared to launch suicide bombs because of a memorial. That...tends not to happen amongst Olympic athletes.

Munich was not an "Islamist" attack. The ideas "Islamist" and "attack carried out by people who happen to be culturally Muslims in pursuit of a political ideal" are completely different.

It's like saying the RIRA carry out "Catholic attacks". Which I noticed with the Provo support in America people were reluctant to do. But then, the people involved weren't brown.

I'll agree that Islamist is the wrong term here. The group responsible for the massacre, Black September, wasn't religiously motivated.

She has some valid points otherwise. The whole idea of the Olympics, according to its own documents, is this idea of having athletes from around the world meeting and competing peacefully. Yes, you could take the cynical view that it's corrupt and totally political, but that ideal is there. The Israeli athletes, like all of the other Olympic athletes, were there to compete in what was supposed to be a forum where the athletes would meet in peace. They weren't politicians or soldiers. Nobody asked them their political views first. No, they weren't killed because of their athletic prowess - they were killed because even in what was supposed to be a peaceful international athletic event, they were killed because of their nationality.

It wouldn't be partisan politics for the IOC to have simply acknowledged a tragedy that clearly violated the spirit of the Olympics. You can say "murdering athletes at the Games is wrong" without having to distinguish which countries' athletes shouldn't be killed. A minute of silence wouldn't have taken a whole lot of effort. The fact that the IOC didn't do it was political, and if they gave into pressure to violate their own ethics, that's wrong.

What pressure was brought to bear, though?

I strongly doubt Arab delegations to any Olympics were prepped to be suicide bombers if anyone mentioned the Munich Olympics. The worst they would have done is walk out.

I do not see how that would not look worse for those delegations. Might it cause a bit of contention, well. Yeah. It might.

However the Olympics is contentious for a number of reasons. One is clearing the homeless off the streets in any town or city it happens in. The Beijing Olympics is notorious for, er, moving everyone off sites they wanted to utilise. Salt Lake City Winter Olympics is another one I remember.

It is a heavily politicised event. There's no escape from that. But I don't see how the Arab states had some superpower here. Please explain if there's something I'm not getting.

I think you're being overly literal.

The criticism is directed primarily at the IOC. WHY did they refuse a simple request to take a moment to mark an atrocity at their own event 40 years ago?

I would have approved it personally (why not)? because it was a very important event and a sad one. If I had the power! :lol:

But I don't like these dark hints about "Moooslims are going to blow things up if we accept this." Some Arab nations may or may not walk out. This is it. (I suspect they will not.)

There are ways round this. As you know yourself, just have a chat with delegations beforehand, and if they couldn't accept the memorial, that doesn't prevent anyone from walking out. And that's OK.

She looked gorgeous in her wedding dress - it has to be one of the most attractive frum wedding dresses I've ever seen (there are publicly available photos on Facebook through friends of hers). Her groom is a born Jew, I believe, and they look really sweet together. I wish them years of joy together.

She looked gorgeous in her wedding dress - it has to be one of the most attractive frum wedding dresses I've ever seen (there are publicly available photos on Facebook through friends of hers). Her groom is a born Jew, I believe, and they look really sweet together. I wish them years of joy together.

Where did you find pics of her in her dress?

Mazel tov to the happy couple!

As I said, if you know which bloggers she's friends with, it's very easy on Facebook since they went to her wedding :) Look for HaDassah Sabo Milner's photographs or Bethany Shondark Mandel's and they'll give you an idea.

Archived