IGNORED

Teri Maxwell's nightmare

thoughtful

I remember being told as a child that aborted fetuses were used in cosmetics and makeup. Yeah--two birds, one stone--No Abortion! No Makeup!

I got older and realized that there would be some serious hygienic and health issues with that, so the likelihood of their being baby parts in my eye shadow were pretty much nil.

(I just realized I never typed out the word nil before. I hope I spelled/used that one right.)

Oh, I also heard that, as a result of the one child policy in China, Chinese people were eating baby soup, and that baby boy soup was favored over baby girl soup. I don't think I really bought that though.

But really, ok, you want to rant about evolution/same sex marriage? I guess I can sort of understand, but I seriously doubt that even an evil multi-national corporation (not saying Pepsi is evil, I think it's delicious) would be mixing human bits into soda. I mean, it doesn't take that much logic to realize that cannibalism (besides being, you know, gross) would pose some serious heath risks, and so wouldn't be attempted by people who wanted to stay in business.

Guest Anonymous
Oh, I also heard that, as a result of the one child policy in China, Chinese people were eating baby soup, and that baby boy soup was favored over baby girl soup. I don't think I really bought that though.

As a kid I was also told in sunday school (Southern Baptist) that Chinese people ate aborted fetuses. Now that I'm an adult the racism of those comments freaking astounds me. Not to mention that is some fucked up stuff to say to a child. I wonder if the people who were saying it actually believed it?

Lissar, I'm researching this now. I remember reading it in World Magazine, so I'm going to see if I can use my Google skills.

But yeah, the racism--I mean, WTF?

Guest Anonymous
Found this:

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-3-29/53482.html

It also looks like there was a World Magazine article about this in 1997--and that James Dobson quoted it, but it's a (disgusting) rumor that's still going around the webs.

The Dobson link does not surprise me. That particular church was all about the Dobson. I think my mother bought all of his books. I can't stand that child beating, dog abusing piece of crap.

I don't like Dobson either.

Slightly OT, but my husband and I went to a Christian book store to get some kind of couple's devotional. I was ok with that idea--I've been re-reading the Bible lately, and I'm interested in what it actually does and does not say. So, we're standing in the Marriage section, and I basically rejected 2/3 of the books right away because I said "No Dobson, No Love and Respect"--that didn't leave much. We didn't buy anything, haha.

As a kid I was also told in sunday school (Southern Baptist) that Chinese people ate aborted fetuses. Now that I'm an adult the racism of those comments freaking astounds me. Not to mention that is some fucked up stuff to say to a child. I wonder if the people who were saying it actually believed it?

Not quite that bad, but my dad believes that it is a provable fact that Philipino people are bad drivers. We'd be driving and he'd see someone driving badly and say "They must be Philipino... They can't drive." I'd say "Really?" and he'd go "Yeah! It's just part of their biology and heritage. They just CAN'T drive!" Never mind that maybe these people had possibly come from areas where people don't drive, so people in their 50s and 60s had only been driving fro a few years, whereas most people that age who drew up in America had been dirivng for decades and had more time to practice.

Jessica, that isn't really funny, but it made me laugh. I mean, humans in general have only been driving cars for what, 100ish years? So I doubt that it's in anybody's biology to be a good or bad driver. Genesis doesn't mention it, and I'm pretty sure that evolution teaches that change happens over a long period of time.

It really makes me sad to hear about trying to break a one-year-old's will, ugh. But the bad driving thing is funny - I know someone who grew up in the Phillippines and said his driving test to get a license consisted of driving 200 feet forward and backing up a little. That was it. So even if it could be proved that people who come from there are worse drivers, it probably has more to do with the drivers ed and driver licensing requirements, LOL.

Huh. Aborted baby parts in pepsi? Let's think about this for 2 seconds. Companies exist to make a profit by selling a product to consumers. In order to gain and maintain consumer trust, the company has to make a tasty, profitable, and safe product.

What would aborted baby parts add? Not taste. I'm pretty sure you can't just go collect dead babies from the hospital they way you can collect dated pastries from a bakery, or something, so aborted baby parts would not be cheap. You would most likely have to purchase them, thus adding to the cost of the product and making consumers unhappy. Finally, there's the safety/health issue...

Soooo, pretty sure our pepsi supply is safe. Wish people exercised their critical thinking skills before posting random shit on the internet.

And holy crap, someone else posted at "a witch" said that the wording of the spells in Harry Potter is basically the same as the spells she used, therefore HP is witchcraft.

Shoot, if it was that powerful, we'd have a world full of wizards, because that would be pretty awesome.

Pretty much all the spells I can think of in HP are just Latin commands.

Relying on the internets and rusty Latin:

Expelliarmus=Comes from the Latin expello -pellere -puli -pulsum, which means to expel, thrust away, drive out, and the -mus ending is a verb conjugation meaning "We"-so, "We Thrust Away!" or "We Dive out!" (I think--I'm sure of the verb, but my memory of the imperative form is a bit rusty)

In any case, I highly doubt just shouting Latin imperative sentences is really of the Devil. If it were, my dog would respond to:

"Canis! Arcesse Fetum Aquam!"

But she just looked at me.

In case any Latin scholars are reading this, it's supposed to be: Dog! You fetch the baby water!--hopefully I did that right.

Edited to remove a stray dog. Ha!

Hmmmmm...my friends and I have been running around with bits of wood or plastic shouting Harry Potter spells for half our lives (we were the same age as the characters for the earlier books...), and have never even gotten Lumos or Alohomora or Accio to work, nevermind the Unforgiveable Curses. Or well, Accio does work if, for example, while watching A Very Potter Musical, you say "Accio Double-Stuff" and your friend chucks an Oreo at you...but I don't think that counts somehow. Maybe our "wands" were missing cores, or didn't chose us and we didn't properly win them....yes, that must be it.

It reminds me of the infamous Chick Tract about the dangers of playing D&D. Supposedly once you hit tenth level, you can cast real spells.

...which immediately has me calling shenanigans, because if that were true, a HELL of a lot more people would play D&D than currently do, and it wouldn't be something to mock and give wedgies over, y'know? :lol:

And now I'm amused, because although I've never played, I've been discussing D&D with my boyfriend all night. I was invited by a classmate so there'd be a GIRL on their team, but I had no time...

Not quite that bad, but my dad believes that it is a provable fact that Philipino people are bad drivers. We'd be driving and he'd see someone driving badly and say "They must be Philipino... They can't drive." I'd say "Really?" and he'd go "Yeah! It's just part of their biology and heritage. They just CAN'T drive!" Never mind that maybe these people had possibly come from areas where people don't drive, so people in their 50s and 60s had only been driving fro a few years, whereas most people that age who drew up in America had been dirivng for decades and had more time to practice.

I totally laughed out loud at the ridiculousness of this! :laughing-lettersrofl:

nutella addict, you should try a D&D encounters--they offer them at various Game stores. It's a fun way to try a "light" version of the game.

And yeah, if I got to cast REAL SPELLS in D&D? That would be AWESOME. :)

Archived