IGNORED

Confessions of a CF Husband - Trisha "close to dying"

2xx1xy1JD

I haven't read the FB note. But I checked his twitter earlier and wasn't surprised that he was bitching about the inauguration. Gwyneth turned 5 last week and I'm surprised he didn't tweet that then.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lilwriter85

• treemom

• Minerva

• 2xx1xy1JD

I recall on his blog, he posted that Tricia's OBGYN told them outright that she had never before recommended termination to a patient until Tricia wound up pregnant right before she was to be listed for a freaking double lung transplant due to CF. I believe the stats they were quoted were >50% chance of losing one or both of them before viability, much less getting to full term. Doctors don't generally push abortion on patients but especially in a case with a serious maternal medical condition which has a high risk of maternal death it's really their responsibility to at least present it as an option. Sure, the Lawrensons were never going to go with that choice but there are plenty of women/couples who would.

Nate's mental disconnect is looking at his 5 year old - even his 5 week old micropreemie whose survival was still uncertain - and transposing that very real and living child on what would have been a 4-5 week embryo at the time the doctors recommended termination. There's no way those doctors would look at that little girl today and say, "Wow, your parents really should have aborted you." :roll: An embryo without even a beating heart yet does not equal a fully grown, living baby or even a micropreemie.

I recall on his blog, he posted that Tricia's OBGYN told them outright that she had never before recommended termination to a patient until Tricia wound up pregnant right before she was to be listed for a freaking double lung transplant due to CF. I believe the stats they were quoted were >50% chance of losing one or both of them before viability, much less getting to full term. Doctors don't generally push abortion on patients but especially in a case with a serious maternal medical condition which has a high risk of maternal death it's really their responsibility to at least present it as an option. Sure, the Lawrensons were never going to go with that choice but there are plenty of women/couples who would.

Nate's mental disconnect is looking at his 5 year old - even his 5 week old micropreemie whose survival was still uncertain - and transposing that very real and living child on what would have been a 4-5 week embryo at the time the doctors recommended termination. There's no way those doctors would look at that little girl today and say, "Wow, your parents really should have aborted you." :roll: An embryo without even a beating heart yet does not equal a fully grown, living baby or even a micropreemie.

When people post things that this I always wonder exactly what the Dr said versus what they heard. It goes along with the old saying, There are always 3 sides to a story. Mine, yours and what actually happened. Did the Dr really sit them down and say "You need to abort now!" or did the Dr say something along the lines of "Here are the risks and odds. If you carry the pregnancy here are the odds, if you terminate the pregnancy now here are the new odds" Some people are so wrapped up in the ideology that if someone even brings up the option of terminating the pregnancy it is turned into ZOMG they insisted that we get an abortion but we'll show them !!eleventy!!

My doctor was uncomfortable with abortion, and when she referred me to geneticists, and others she told me "there are no easy answers in this, whatever you choose to do is the right thing. I respect and support whatever decision you make and it will not interfere with my care of you as a patient in the future.". And the she hugged me.

When I saw her for my follow up after I terminated she hugged me again.

Doctors are human beings, my guess is they compassionately explained the situation and gave the odds and their recommendation based in the medical needs of their patient, who was tricia, not a fetus.

When people post things that this I always wonder exactly what the Dr said versus what they heard. It goes along with the old saying, There are always 3 sides to a story. Mine, yours and what actually happened. Did the Dr really sit them down and say "You need to abort now!" or did the Dr say something along the lines of "Here are the risks and odds. If you carry the pregnancy here are the odds, if you terminate the pregnancy now here are the new odds" Some people are so wrapped up in the ideology that if someone even brings up the option of terminating the pregnancy it is turned into ZOMG they insisted that we get an abortion but we'll show them !!eleventy!!

There was a study recently, in the NYTimes maybe a month ago, about people receiving terminal cancer diagnoses. The majority of patients did not think their or their loved one's illness was terminal even if the doctor had said that. All they heard were their few last-hope options and they took that to mean they were going to get better because there was treatment... again even though the doctors in the study emphasized that these would most likely not be curative treatments. So yeah, people hear what they want to hear. I don't doubt it was the same in this situation.

Nathan makes MLK Jr. Day all about abortion.

Here's a link to his Facebook note, "Why I Cannot Watch the Presidential Inauguration Today"

facebook.com/notes/nathan-lawrenson/why-i-cannot-watch-the-presidential-inauguration-today/10151455153044453

I'm pretty sure that MLK Jr. was at least in favor of birth control.

Because she was a non-sentient ball of flesh at the time that might kill her mother? That's simple enough for a 5-year-old to understand; I don't get why it's lost on Nathan.

I cannot fucking stand him. My tolerance is particularly low today because the freaking March against choice is coming up and i have two facebook friends who won't stop yapping about it. I may have to hide them until the walk is over, but I keep them in my news feed because they post cute pics of their kids, who I happen to really like.

I really get kind of freaked out when this thread comes to the front page. Is she dead? I always think she's died. Not that I even really know who this is. I don't want her child to be motherless. But hey, if she dies, will someone make it obvious?

creaky steel, I always think the same thing and brace myself to click on the thread. I followed Eva Markvoort's blog when she was dying of CF and it was brutally sad to me.

Maybe it would be better to have a thread dedicated to Nathan, since most of the snark-worthy posts are not related to Trisha's condition.

Maybe it would be better to have a thread dedicated to Nathan, since most of the snark-worthy posts are not related to Trisha's condition.

Yes. He's hateful enough to deserve his own thread.

I agree there should be Nate thread. I check his twitter every few days. Some days when he tweets things about Trisha I feel bad for them. His extreme anti-choice attitude and his attitude on gays pisses me off. He and his dad tweeted about how Louie Giglio pulled out of the inuaguaration because of past anti-gay comments. I said this earlier in the thread, but Nate would be the type that would defend his daughter if she got bullied for her hearing impairment, but if a gay kid was bullied, he wouldn't care. I'm not wishing anything bad on Gwyneth, but if she was bullied it could be a wake up call to Nate that nobody deserves to be discriminated against whether they are disabled or gay. Nate's dad is tweeting some anti-choice things and of course he mentions adoption as an alternative. Adoption isn't option in some situations.

• 6 years later...