IGNORED

A big pet peeve - Begging for Charity

Guest LisaM

Guest Anonymous

I don't mean to come across as begrudging a sick kid of help, but it really bothers me when people beg for charity from the rest of us while giving the praise to god. I was sent this website and asked to donate all I could (I've got nothing, so there you go) from an in-law who knows the family personally. The Merricks own the larges surfboard company in the world. On this link prayfordaisy.com/#/daisy-story-part-4/ the parent writing this says,

Daisy and her family are trusting Jesus. But they are also in a battle for Daisy's life. The next steps include chemotherapy and a possible stem cell transplant. Her parents are pursuing both traditional and progressive cancer treatments in America and Israel. The estimated cost not covered by insurance will total close to half a million dollars.

Would you join us in praying that Jesus, the only Healer, would again heal her body?

If they are trusting Jesus so much, then why are they using medical science? Are the doctors doing nothing? People have donated almost $600,000, but if you read around the site and blog, all the praise goes to Jesus for providing and healing. If all it took was prayers, we'd have a lot less dead Christians in America who died because they shouldn't get health care. Daisy is lucky her dad successfully turned her into a cause celebre. That one-armed surfer from the Soul Surfer movie is endorsing the cause. But it's all thanks to Jesus, not thanks to people promoting them, spreading the links, and opening their wallets to an already wealthy family.

Am I the only one who gets really turned off to the idea of sending money to someone who will use it to praise Jesus and claim it's proof of god? I'd rather give money, when I have it, to someone who won't do that. There are so many people who don't have church congregations pooling their resources. (Aside from the surfboard company, Daisy's dad is a church pastor, and that's how my sister-in-law met him. He's been pushing his daughter's cause at church when he's been there.)

I get really bothered by that, too. If they're suck Jesus freaks, you'd think they'd show some humility and thank the many people who have taken up their daughter's cause. Jesus did not make Bethany Hamilton promote their daughter's cause, Bethany Hamilton was generous and caring enough to do it herself.

Sometimes I wonder if they do it to deflect from the fact they're taking in large amounts of money from strangers. Like they're afraid of criticism and by evoking Jesus they're hoping to distract people. It's probably a silly theory, but I do feel that way sometimes.

If they're in my neck of the woods they put all of that in because they don't want people proselytizing them while they're dealing with illness. Praise Jesus enough times = being sick in peace.

If I lived in the States I'd probably donate money to most families with sick kids who came along, but the praise Jesus stuff still annoys the hell out of me. I have to assume they know deep down who's really going to be saving their kid, otherwise they'd just leave it to Jesus, you know?

On a side note, I really get irritated when they interview victims of a natural disaster, like a tornado, and people claim Jesus saved them. What about the dead kid next door? Why would God kill an innocent child like that? Tornadoes are random. I've been through one which skipped over our area, just taking down trees and knocking a big tree on our roof, and then it moved on to massive destruction down the road. We were lucky. That's all it is....randomness.

Guest Anonymous
I Jesus is going to heal this girl, it kind of makes you wonder who made her sick in the first place...

It'e her third time with cancer too.

This is my pet peeve, too. Although mine is more along the lines of "we couldn't conceive so we spent $50,000 on fertility treatments and then got pregnant with octuplets (Praise Jesus!) and it turned out one of them had a heart defect (Pray to Jesus!) but after five in utero surgeries and another $30,000 it was fixed (Praise Jesus) AND we NEVER considered selective reduction because we TRUST GOD and HE NEVER gives you more than you can handle!"

This is my pet peeve, too. Although mine is more along the lines of "we couldn't conceive so we spent $50,000 on fertility treatments and then got pregnant with octuplets (Praise Jesus!) and it turned out one of them had a heart defect (Pray to Jesus!) but after five in utero surgeries and another $30,000 it was fixed (Praise Jesus) AND we NEVER considered selective reduction because we TRUST GOD and HE NEVER gives you more than you can handle!"

EXACTLY

EXACTLY

A blogger I used to follow was like this. She's not quite along the lines of the folks I hear about on here in that she had a degree and a full time job outside of the home, but every single time she talked about their IVF trials or the fact that her kids were both born with life threatening illnesses, it always all "praise Jesus! God is so good!" Um, you had multiple traumatic miscarriages after trying for years to get pregnant, and then found out both of the kids you finally had were critically ill. If that was my story I'd be more inclined to think god was out to get me.

Archived