IGNORED

I'd rather my children be behind academically.....

Wolfie

Maybe I am misreading, but it seems that she is saying she would rather be behind *herself* like on chores and stuff.

Preppers are cray in general though. Like, why spend your savings on chickens that get eaten by mountain lions? I just don't understand why the possibility that our society might fall means you need to live like it already has.

Now that I reread it, I think you're right. But yes, the fact that they throw their money into things that either sit and slowly rot- or the animals that keep getting eaten is insane.

Maybe I am misreading, but it seems that she is saying she would rather be behind *herself* like on chores and stuff.

Preppers are cray in general though. Like, why spend your savings on chickens that get eaten by mountain lions? I just don't understand why the possibility that our society might fall means you need to live like it already has.

That post was from 2006 and some folks were waiting for the impending doom of elections. Well imagine that, it's 2012 and the lights are still on. :roll:

Now that I reread it, I think you're right. But yes, the fact that they throw their money into things that either sit and slowly rot- or the animals that keep getting eaten is insane.

I know how to do a lot of stuff that they seem to be "into". Like, I can aim and fire a gun, I can raise animals, butcher and package them, I am okay at gardening. Etc. But I choose not to live that way. If the shit hits the fan, I will have a decent chance of making it, but until then I will enjoy a clean house and ample stores.

That post was from 2006 and some folks were waiting for the impending doom of elections. Well imagine that, it's 2012 and the lights are still on. :roll:

It actually is from this week, you noticed her join date. (but yeah, there is stuff back to who knows when that these people have been hoarding stuff and sure the world will end in a week or three.)

People have always prepared themselves for the end of the world as we know it, and yet it rarely comes. If it does come, an education is something you can take with you to another place. Medical, engineering, nursing, logistics, these and so many others are fields that are needed in even the most simple society. My great-grandparents were able to uproot their family and flee their home country when their world was ending. I am sure their ability to slaughter a goat also came in handy (my grandfather showed me how, on numerous occasions :lol:), but ultimately it was my great-grandmother's education that kept the family afloat when they reached the Promised Land of the US at roughly the same time the Great Depression struck.

It actually is from this week, you noticed her join date. (but yeah, there is stuff back to who knows when that these people have been hoarding stuff and sure the world will end in a week or three.)

Ach my bad.

But still these folks don't have long, between the elections and the end of the Mayan calendar, they are running out of time.

Ach my bad.

But still these folks don't have long, between the elections and the end of the Mayan calendar, they are running out of time.

And excuses. They're running out of excuses as well.

As for me, I'm screwed if there's a zombie apocalypse. No idea how to shoot a gun, butcher an animal or garden.

I have skills but require daily medication. I'm screwed unless I can find someone who can make it.

Guest Anonymous

I don't have much of a survival instinct, so I honestly don't think I'd care about living in a post-apocalyptic scenario. Surviving just to survive has never really appealed to me.

I don't have much of a survival instinct, so I honestly don't think I'd care about living in a post-apocalyptic scenario. Surviving just to survive has never really appealed to me.

...which is interesting in its own right. Personally I appreciate it if an "end of the world" scenario book (or movie or whatever) devotes some time to at least the concept that some people decide that the best choice is suicide. I liked the mention of it in "fools at the end「 終末ã®ãƒ•ãƒ¼ãƒ«ã€from 伊å‚幸太郎(Isaka Koutarou) and the issue of the government issue cyanide pills in "On The Beach" by Neville Shute (depressing as hell but a good book, if you're into end of the world stories it has it all, I will highly recommend for those of this taste) and even the mention if only in passing of people who decide to suicide in the American (!!!! because I never thought an American entertainment product would go there!) movie "deep impact".

...which I realize now is kinda far off from the topic of the original thread maybe :D

But end of the world stories I have to admit I'm a fan of it. It's a nerd interest. :P

This is the homeschool quote that has me shaking my head:

Comment #20:

Prepping is a lot like homeschooling in that, you set up a plan and hopefully you get 1/2 way there by the end of the school year.

:shock: Homeschooling: You're doing it wrong.

Personally I appreciate it if an "end of the world" scenario book (or movie or whatever) devotes some time to at least the concept that some people decide that the best choice is suicide.

Oh, like in 28 Days Later? I thought it did a pretty good job of exploring the different ways people react to a cataclysmic disaster.

Count me in as having no particular interest in surviving the end of the world as we know it. I mean, I suppose I could use the gardening, cooking, and canning skills to swap for someone who can break into a pharmacy for my meds, but that probably isn't a long term plan, KWIM?

As for practice, I'm going to use indoor plumbing until the bitter end, and then I'm going to go shuffle off.

...which is interesting in its own right. Personally I appreciate it if an "end of the world" scenario book (or movie or whatever) devotes some time to at least the concept that some people decide that the best choice is suicide. I liked the mention of it in "fools at the end「 終末ã®ãƒ•ãƒ¼ãƒ«ã€from 伊å‚幸太郎(Isaka Koutarou) and the issue of the government issue cyanide pills in "On The Beach" by Neville Shute (depressing as hell but a good book, if you're into end of the world stories it has it all, I will highly recommend for those of this taste) and even the mention if only in passing of people who decide to suicide in the American (!!!! because I never thought an American entertainment product would go there!) movie "deep impact".

...which I realize now is kinda far off from the topic of the original thread maybe :D

But end of the world stories I have to admit I'm a fan of it. It's a nerd interest. :P

The Road by Cormac McCarthy deals with suicide at the end of the world as we know it. The boy's mother commits suicide because she just can't take it anymore. And I don't blame her.

Another good post-Apocalyptic series is The Change by SR Stirling. One day in the late 1990s, anything with an internal combustion engine, that is electric and that has to do with ignition under pressure (propane, natural gas, firing a gun) stops working. I found the series interesting and I liked that it was set in my neck of the woods. It was creepy to read about battles taking place in an alternative history, post-apocaplyptic version of The Dalles, OR.

I am not at all sure I want to live in a post apocalyptic society.

-I have a medical condition controlled with meds. Without that medication I think my health would be a real problem. I think lots of people who are alive today would die just because they don't have access to medical care like they do now.

-I think society would rapidly revert to Taliban - like conditions. Women would have the same life options that women today living under Taliban control do i.e. none.

-There would be utter chaos for a long time. It would be a Lord of the Flies like situation.

-It would be a time of loss after loss after loss. I don't think there would be much if any fun for a very long time.

- I love my pets and I think that in a post apocalyptic society most pets would die (owners die, not enough food to feed etc)

It just seems sad to me.

My husband and I were just talking about this yesterday while grocery shopping. My mother is a Mormon and she's all about her year supply of food and the food rotation and cooking with freeze dried food, etc. Why on earth would you want to perpetually eat year old food? In order to keep the year supply of food from going bad, you have to constantly rotate the food out.

If there's ever an end of world whatever, I plan on being the first to step forward and go quickly. That's my plan. In the meantime, I'm gonna eat food that is NOT freeze-dried mush and is significantly less than one year old.

I have a close relative who is a cray cray conspiracy/end of the world type. He literally has a bunker in the middle of nowhere, and he actively works on building up a stock of provisions for said shelter. I lol when he tells me about how he imagines the post-apocalyptic world, which sounds a lot like a Mad Max type world.

I'm generally pretty healthy, so I think I would survive. I have some rudimentary skills in gardening. However, like others I'm not sure I would want to live in that kind of world. I'm afraid in the US we would see a true theocracy emerge.

In a real social collapse, the survivors would have to form a community. The family who isolates themselves and doesn't share won't survive for long. No one can know how to do everything needed for long term survival. Herbs might work for some illnesses, but a trained doctor would be needed for many things. A community would be more likely to attract educated people. Yes, some people like to think that an educated person would be no help at the end of the world but I think that a couple of engineers or other scientist would have some knowledge that would help the community to survive. And a succesful community will attract those survivalist anyway.

How long can the isolated family exist without any outside help? I think that they would quickly die off from accidents, infected teeth, pregnancy related problems and overall craziness. Besides other well armed survivalists will want to attack families with daughters and supplies. A community can protect one another, maybe form nighly watches. A long family can only be vigilant while they are awake.

I admit, I love learning about old fashioned activities like bread baking and herbalism. But I don't have any desire to live off those activities.

I know how to do a lot of stuff that they seem to be "into". Like, I can aim and fire a gun, I can raise animals, butcher and package them, I am okay at gardening. Etc. But I choose not to live that way. If the shit hits the fan, I will have a decent chance of making it, but until then I will enjoy a clean house and ample stores.

Same here. I know how to do all that stuff, but don't want to live a life dependent on them. I will occasionally help a farmer-friend with butchering, and I keep a small garden for entertainment purposes. I go fishing once or twice a year because I enjoy it. If the shit hits, I know enough to hold my own, but I'm going to enjoy the niceties of modern life for now.

I honestly don't worry at all about the complete destruction of modern society and technology, but I do have a healthy amount on concern about short-term disasters. Twice in my life I've gone without electricity for more than a week (one ice storm, one hurricane). I've been through about a dozen other big storms (hurricanes and ice) that caused power outages for 2-3 days. I like to be prepared for those, but it doesn't control life. Now I'm a Red Cross disaster volunteer, and will likely be working in a shelter the next time my community has extended outages, so I know I will have access to the basics and I just have to make sure my home is secure/insured.

This is something my little family of choice has spent way too much time plotting and planning about what we would do in any sort of apocalyptic situation. One of my best friends this is a close to a religion as he gets. To such an extent, a few of us are worried about how disappointed he'll be when the world doesn't end this December. A couple of years ago he gave the husband and I gas masks for Christmas, which is sweet for him to essentially be saying he wants us to survive in a post-apocalyptic wasteland with him. In terms of preparing for disaster, my mom has the best idea. She's vacuum sealed up chocolate and clean socks. I'll be much easier to live with in a ruined society with those important staples. At least within our little group we have people who can shoot guns, hunt and fish, medical and pharmaceutical training and gardening knowledge.

If you want a good read in this genre, check out "The Old Man And The Wasteland" by Nick Cole.

I'm honestly surprised that more fundies aren't into this type of end of the world planning. It always seems like such a gateway crazy to me.

This is something my little family of choice has spent way too much time plotting and planning about what we would do in any sort of apocalyptic situation. One of my best friends this is a close to a religion as he gets. To such an extent, a few of us are worried about how disappointed he'll be when the world doesn't end this December. A couple of years ago he gave the husband and I gas masks for Christmas, which is sweet for him to essentially be saying he wants us to survive in a post-apocalyptic wasteland with him. In terms of preparing for disaster, my mom has the best idea. She's vacuum sealed up chocolate and clean socks. I'll be much easier to live with in a ruined society with those important staples. At least within our little group we have people who can shoot guns, hunt and fish, medical and pharmaceutical training and gardening knowledge.

If you want a good read in this genre, check out "The Old Man And The Wasteland" by Nick Cole.

I'm honestly surprised that more fundies aren't into this type of end of the world planning. It always seems like such a gateway crazy to me.

Because the fundies are going to Heaven when the shit hits the fan. Why would they need to know how to hunt, fish, trap or garden if they're going to Heaven? They're just going to keep shitting on the planet until God calls them home.

Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, but I just don't see society falling apart as much as these preppers think it will.

And if it is that bad, I'm not sure I want to be alive anyway.

Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, but I just don't see society falling apart as much as these preppers think it will.

And if it is that bad, I'm not sure I want to be alive anyway.

I don't either see society ending either. Civilization existed before electricity, so why would civilization be destroyed without it? The human race would figure ways to cope.

Archived