IGNORED

Savories of Life

terranova

Can anyone decipher WTF she is writing about?

savoriesoflife.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/friday-story-distinctive-calling.html

Her entire blog is one big mess of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

WARNING: Your eyes will BLEED.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A purple-prosey tale of a young Mary Sue in an alternate universe where antebellum social elite in the American South live according to modern-day fundie culture, except with loyal slaves. Written with an ignorance of history, racial sensitivity, and the English language that only the SOTDRT can provide.

Guest Anonymous

I found it a little weird that one of the pro-slavery guys was called "Douglass", but I don't suppose that was intentional. The money values also seem off (but I could be wrong about that). Also, the thing about Maryland abolishing slavery in 1810? Unless I've been living in an alternate universe, I don't think that's true.

A purple-prosey tale of a young Mary Sue in an alternate universe where antebellum social elite in the American South live according to modern-day fundie culture, except with loyal slaves. Written with an ignorance of history, racial sensitivity, and the English language that only the SOTDRT can provide.

Thank you, I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Or read long enough to finish the thing.

Oh, this is fun.

She apparently wants an "Itlian house and an Itlian rooster kitchen." Good luck deciphering that one!

***AND*** she homeschools her brothers and sisters! Woot!

*headdesk*

Can someone interpret this line for me?

“Tom! Tom!†bellowed Mr. Moor you are in trouble! “ This is no more Master Mark then my wife! Do you never listen? This is Master Bob! You will go with out dinner.â€

Why has she a picture of my beloved Blue Italian pattern in the story? That's it. I'm eating dinner from the fancy china tonight, or maybe I'll just be completely feral and not put it on a plate at all.

Also, am I correct in reading that the story is set back in the good ol' days, but land was bought 20 years earlier for $210,000? The Louisiana Purchase was around 10 million, but that was for something like a third of the country. I reckon $210,000 would buy you one of the smaller states in those days.

If your writing makes miss Raquel look worthy of a Pulitzer prize, you have no business homeschooling.

Side note, she quotes google as a source. I used to teach intermediate (11-13 year olds) when I was in New Zealand. Within 6 weeks of the year, not one of my students (ok, well, technically ONE) would use google as a reference. That's not because I'm great, it's because it's a basic skill kids understand if you explain it to them. If your cant teach your children basic research skills, don't homeschool them. Please!

Guest Anonymous

Mr Moor is waiting for Mark Douglass to return and give him news about the war. Tom, a slave, announces Mr Douglass's arrival. However, the man who comes in is not Douglass, it's Bob. Tom is punished for his mistake by being made to go without supper.

"Oh Tom!" exclaimed an exasperated Mr Moor. "This is not Master Mark any more than my wife is! This is Master Bob. Try to do your job properly. You need to remember what all our friends look like. Perhaps missing dinner will help to remind you."

Also I was saved by Christ this year and am looking at ways to serve him. I also found out I am allergic to wheat.

What delightful juxtaposition. Has Valerie discovered that she, like Christ, is allergic to wheat? Or was is during the saving and serving that the wheat allergy came forth?

I found it a little weird that one of the pro-slavery guys was called "Douglass", but I don't suppose that was intentional. The money values also seem off (but I could be wrong about that). Also, the thing about Maryland abolishing slavery in 1810? Unless I've been living in an alternate universe, I don't think that's true.

Former Marylander here. Yeah, slavery in my home state wasn't abolished in 1810. Try around 1864. Maryland might of been part of the Union (or forced to be, depending on which accounts you read), but we were a slave holding state throughout the war, as were most border states.

Guest Anonymous

There's also this:

savoriesoflife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/few-facts-from-uncle-toms-cabin.html

The writing is a mess, but I think she's dismissing the entirety of Uncle Tom's Cabin because it does not match up exactly with one guy's racist, pro-slavery polemic. The book she's talking about is actually called 'A South-Side View of Slavery'. (Thank you, Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehemiah_Adams)

It's weird to think that she's using (apparent) historical / factual inaccuracies* to invalidate a work of fiction. Has she even read her own stories?!

*Edited to add this footnote: I've called her inaccuracies historical and factual, but they aren't even that. They're just one man's interpretation of "how things were" in the South. It's bugging me now.

ETA: The wording of this post is really awful. I keep tweaking it, but I can't get it to say what I want to say. I suppose that's karmic payback for calling someone else's writing 'a mess'.

I would encourage all to read her hilariously garbled "What Happened on the Train!" It contains such gems as

All those in the quart worshiped God and there was much rejoicing.

I don't think her writing could suck harder if she was actively trying to make it terrible. SOTDRT strikes again!

I would encourage all to read her hilariously garbled "What Happened on the Train!" It contains such gems as

I don't think her writing could suck harder if she was actively trying to make it terrible. SOTDRT strikes again!

What about those in the pint? Did they worship Satan?

What about those in the pint? Did they worship Satan?

If they did, they were in quite a jam. Or maybe a pickle? Sorry for the terrible puns. I'll show myself out.

My god, it's like a shitty Christian version of My Immortal. Who's going to be the holy Christian prepz and who's going to be the evil Stanist goffs?

From her "About me"...

" Also I was saved by Christ this year and am looking at ways to serve him. I also found out I am allergic to wheat."

I found out I am an atheist this year and am looking for ways to sharpen my critical thinking. I also found out I have explosive diarrhea when exposed to chia seeds!

I started reading her "story" and wow, just wow. Yeah, wow. :? Is their any chance that she just recently learned English?

Miss Raquel seems like a really good writer now.

I started reading her "story" and wow, just wow. Yeah, wow. :? Is their any chance that she just recently learned English?

Miss Raquel seems like a really good writer now.

She moved to the US 19-20 years ago, according to her profile. I haven't found what country she's from, but you'd think in 19-20 years her English would be much better than this.

Archived