IGNORED

Savories of Life

terranova

I wonder if she is using a word processor and letting it pick spellings when she misspells things? Kingsoft has a free word processor but its spell check is not as intuitive as Word spellcheck. Actually, when I'm transcribing I make a lot of mistakes due to speed, missed letters, etc., and I found I can't use that software because it doesn't autocorrect and its spellcheck dictionary is bizarre. Occasionally the word I meant to type is there, but almost always at the bottom of the list of possible words. If I just clicked "correct" and let it put its first choice in the document, my transcriptions would be a horrible mess.

It was "ordure" instead of "order" that made me wonder this. Transferring from a document to a blog sometimes makes it difficult to get the right format, too, which would explain all the crazy text color and highlighting. :/

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $11,000.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $390 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1858 to 2011." -www.measuringworth.com

The tuition is supposed to be $390, so yes, that'd be quite steep. As for the $210k 22 acres?

"A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $5,240,000.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $210000 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1838 to 2011. "

In modern terms, that'd mean he paid $238k/acre for land to grow cotton on... and then... "Because of wanting my 22 acres fertilized we have had to wait." So it wasn't even GOOD land. Given that in modern-day Virginia you can purchase a 30 acre farm complete with farmhouse, barn, and outbuildings for $350k;

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/FAR ... s_-546024/ ;

Mr. Moore must be running some kind of pyramid scheme. The story of a ditzy fundie cupcake abruptly growing up when her father gets lynched by his angry neighbors might be enjoyable. It'd be antebellum 2 Broke Girls.

I think she's still quite young and very naive. She's also been homeschooled and likely isolated. I won't discourage her from writing. The only way to improve to keep writing, but she definitely needs some help. I rewrote the first part of chapter one. I tried to keep her story itself intact. I would advise her to learn to show more and tell less overall. Punctuation and grammar usage needs improved. She needs more description. "Her mother expressed concern." How? What does expressing concern look like? She needs the who, what, when, where and why in her work. She does straight into issues and it's confusing. We go from concern to it's raining, mom's making dough, the name of the protagonist, Rose. Then we get a Mrs. Moore and it's apparently Rose's mother, but she ought to establish the names and relationships first thing as that gets confusing. We know they are in the kitchen and Mrs. Moore's making dinner preparations, but what's Rose doing? With some tips and education and lots of time writing, she could be a decent writer.

Chapter 1 Strange Events

“Dear Rose, you are depressed of late,†Mrs. Moore stated to her daughter as she kneaded dough in preparations for the family dinner.

"Oh…. It’s just….â€

"What is it, dear?â€

Rose glanced out the kitchen window as raindrops pelted the pane.

“Is it all the rain we have had of late that has cast a shadow upon your life or is it something deeper which you should unburden your soul off?â€

"I don't know. What will become of me? Should I except Benjamin’s Proposal even though I have not finished school, but I could say yes and we wait another year, but then I don’t know what to purpose to do?"

Mrs. Moore looked at her thoughtfully. “Have you not prayed about it?"

“Yes I have mother it’s not really that, I was wondering if I should take a job like Amy, not that I really want one, but I don’t see what else to do with life?â€

The mother gave a small smile at her daughter before she heaved a little sigh. “Both of you are 16 years old and running an entirely different course in life and yet the Lord is leading both of you and his will, will be done. You know how Amy never cared to study and was always at the bottom of the class, so helping Rogers mother is good for her, but that soon will end then perhaps she will return to school. "

Rose turned over the piece of paper before her on the table and handed it to her mother, who glanced over the bill for the upcoming school year.

Mr. and Mrs. Sapling owe Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Sheffey for the coming year of 1861

$240 for tuition and board

$60 for piano lessons

$20 for art

$20 for Latin

$50 for pew rent at Trinity Especial church

The cost of $390 will be due the 30th of September.

Just some editing marks, if she comes here, she can take them or leave them.

She is quite young and it's very obvious that she's sheltered and naive (and her siblings are worse off than she is!) but damn, my writing was better at 9. Epic SOTDRT fail!

From her "About me"...

" Also I was saved by Christ this year and am looking at ways to serve him. I also found out I am allergic to wheat."

I found out I am an atheist this year and am looking for ways to sharpen my critical thinking. I also found out I have explosive diarrhea when exposed to chia seeds!

I found the meaning of life when I read Douglas Adams' books 30 years ago, and that grapes gave me the same headache that wine did.

Next?

:D

She moved to the US 19-20 years ago, according to her profile. I haven't found what country she's from, but you'd think in 19-20 years her English would be much better than this.

Here I was thinking she was 13 or 14. :shifty: So she must be in her early 20s then?

She moved to the US 19-20 years ago, according to her profile. I haven't found what country she's from, but you'd think in 19-20 years her English would be much better than this.

I do wonder if she moved to the US and was immediately isolated by her parents, learning English from their broken efforts and what she could cobble together from homeschool textbooks. She's fond of Russian and Greek folk music as well as an Eastern European performance group in the US and has a post on kvass, beet kvass no less - you have to pretty much grow up with that stuff to enjoy it. Which makes me think her family's from is from somewhere in Eastern Europe. Personally I feel very sorry for the girl if she was brought to the US and educated at home by clearly inept parents rather than doing what the children of most immigrants do and integrating via public education.

On the other hand, they could just be English speaking Canadians with low expectations.

I believe her name is Valery, so the Eastern European theory might be correct.

I believe her name is Valery, so the Eastern European theory might be correct.

That's really weird, because she has a sister named Nikola. Both Nikola and Valery are traditionally male names, and I'm pretty sure Nikola is Serbian rather than Russian.

Guest Anonymous
Here I was thinking she was 13 or 14. So she must be in her early 20s then?

I've been doing a little digging and I don't think she's that young. In her 'About Me', she describes herself as the 'oldest of 9 siblings'. In one blog entry, she mentions having two sisters, close to her in age, who are 19 and 23. We can safely assume that she was at least 24-years-old at the time of writing that. That entry is from April 2011. So she must be 25 or 26 now, at an absolute minimum.

This is the entry that mentions the sisters: savoriesoflife.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/what-to-do-after-graduation.html

ETA: My maths is really poor here.

Edited to jig things around.

Guest Anonymous

One final thing from me:

Her sister's blog is more useful for finding out about their ancestry, etc. Apparently, they are of French Canadian and Scottish descent. The remaining Canadian family lives in Ontario. Apparently, the interest in Eastern European cultures is just that, an interest.

I am way too tired to put together links for all the relevant blog entries. This is the general address: mazzoumemories.blogspot.co.uk/

My god, it's like a shitty Christian version of My Immortal. Who's going to be the holy Christian prepz and who's going to be the evil Stanist goffs?

But who will get to shit next to Rose, you bustard?

Who will be the Christina version of Darko/Dracko/Drico Malfoy?

I have nothing to say to a slavery apologist. Nothing printable.

Well maybe that I wish she could spend just one day in the life of a slave and tell me it was so awesome.

Guest Anonymous

Part 2 is up:

savoriesoflife.blogspot.com/2012/10/part-2-distinctive-calling-civil-war.html

Like her mother she opposed slavery but excepted it believing that without education there would be no salvation for the blacks and that would be violating the Constitution which states “ All Men Are Created Equally.â€

This part seems even less coherent than the first. Half the time I can't figure out who is supposed to be saying what to whom. The quote marks are all over the place and the grammar is confusing. In the end, I have no idea what is supposed to be going on.

Part 2 is up:

savoriesoflife.blogspot.com/2012/10/part-2-distinctive-calling-civil-war.html

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? :lol: Somebody needs to take this woman's keyboard and bury it in a deep, deep hole somewhere.

Guest Anonymous

Grrr! I can't seem to get my comments posted. Other FJers seem to be able to, though. Check this out: savoriesoflife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/few-facts-from-uncle-toms-cabin.html

'Anonymous' (presumably, an FJer) has posted a comment questioning Valerie's treatment of Uncle Tom's Cabin. In response, Valerie has block posted some pro-slavery tract from the 1860s, as if that's a reasonable argument. I hate it so much!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? :lol: Somebody needs to take this woman's keyboard and bury it in a deep, deep hole somewhere.

I think she's making a reference to the fundie party line of "slavery, while distasteful, was TOTALLY AWESOME because Black people are too stupid to have found Jesus otherwise."

It's a common theme in homeschool/fundie Christian textbooks.

Guest Anonymous

I thought 'All men are created equal' was from the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. (Don't ask me, I'm British!). Also, the idea that being 'created equally' does not mean being equally free, or having equal access to education or religion, but specifically requires slavery makes me... gah! Speechless with anger!

I think she's making a reference to the fundie party line of "slavery, while distasteful, was TOTALLY AWESOME because Black people are too stupid to have found Jesus otherwise."

It's a common theme in homeschool/fundie Christian textbooks.

Yes, I remember that from my homeschooling days. Fuck A-Beka books is all I can say.

Oh gawd, that grammar and appalling lack of punctuation is making my eyes bleed. I've only read one paragraph and I had to stop for my sanity.

Grrr! I can't seem to get my comments posted. Other FJers seem to be able to, though. Check this out: savoriesoflife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/few-facts-from-uncle-toms-cabin.html

'Anonymous' (presumably, an FJer) has posted a comment questioning Valerie's treatment of Uncle Tom's Cabin. In response, Valerie has block posted some pro-slavery tract from the 1860s, as if that's a reasonable argument. I hate it so much!

That was me. I wonder if she blocked comments so she can't get any more dissenting views about how slavery wasn't awesome.

I tried to read the reply, but to be honest, I just couldn't. Something about how if we go with the golden rule than slaves need to be slaves because they would want to be a master if they were a master? I don't know.

Miss Raquel is looking so smart right now.

Archived