IGNORED

Saving Teens from Obama: When Bible Study Goes Wrong

dawn9476

This article is from Vyckie of NLQ. While she is now an atheist, she apparently has let her kids chose their own path because her 19 year old still attends a salvation army bible study group. This bible group apparently had a teen movie night last month and chose to take the teens, most of whom are disadvantaged Hispanic kids, to the anti-Obama movie from Dinesh D’Souza. Apparently the excuse of the people who chose to do this was that the wanted to get the "kids thinking about politics." :lol:

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... oes_wrong/

This article is from Vyckie of NLQ. While she is now an atheist, she apparently has let her kids chose their own path because her 19 year old still attends a salvation army bible study group. This bible group apparently had a teen movie night last month and chose to take the teens, most of whom are disadvantaged Hispanic kids, to the anti-Obama movie from Dinesh D’Souza. Apparently the excuse of the people who chose to do this was that the wanted to get the "kids thinking about politics." :lol:

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archi ... oes_wrong/

It could be argued that the Salvation Army is risking its tax exemption by providing access to the D'Souza film. Of course, I should state up front that I believe all churches should be taxed (with actual humanitarian/charity work as an offset).

Um.... I don't know much of Vyckie other than the insane drama that went on about her eldest daughter via the interwebs. However, color me confused.

About five years ago, an email correspondence with my long-lost atheist uncle encouraged me to question my “biblical worldview.†In time, the questioning led me to reject my literalist reading of the Bible, and eventually, my Christian faith.

Who has a long, lost relative that emails you out of the blue and immediately starts questioning your religious beliefs? That sounds odd. Has that always been her story?

I think it has been. From what I remember, she mentioned the uncle fairly early on at NLQ.

i think it was that she wrote to him, not the other way around. But i read that part a long time ago.

She doesn't have much family and a lot of what she has is pretty messed up.

Um.... I don't know much of Vyckie other than the insane drama that went on about her eldest daughter via the interwebs. However, color me confused.

Who has a long, lost relative that emails you out of the blue and immediately starts questioning your religious beliefs? That sounds odd. Has that always been her story?

Yes, but it wasn't as immediate as you are making it out to be. She reconnected with the uncle at (I think) a family gathering and they started emailing. After months (or maybe even years) of discourse, questions, challenges etc., she started to change her ideas and views. That coupled with her health issues from giving birth so much, problems with her husband, and problems with her children, and problems within their fundie circles, she decided to get out. You can read her story on NLQ or listen to the Godless Bitches podcast where she goes into great detail about how it all happened.

Archived