IGNORED

What's for dinner?

Koala

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BelieveinScience, don't waste all your olive oil in the Fry Daddy. Just fill it with canola oil. They actually taste better in canola rather than olive.

Or peanut oil. And I've found that (for me) friend foods taste better when fried on the stove, in a few inches of oil in a cast iron pan, using a food thermometer. The fry daddy died on me and i never replaced it.

One of our summertime favorites: Cold creamy cucumber soup (a WW recipe so it's like 30 calories a bowl or something....), vegetable pakoras from TJ's and a giant salad.

Oh, and some chardonnay spritzer.

Or peanut oil. And I've found that (for me) friend foods taste better when fried on the stove, in a few inches of oil in a cast iron pan, using a food thermometer. The fry daddy died on me and i never replaced it.

I have tried every variation of rice balls to find the best one. They are not that great in a couple of inches of oil on the stove. They just don't come the same as they do in a deep fryer.

Some teriyaki chicken breast and a bowl of cereal.

Hah! You eat like me. If I didn't have kids, well before we had them, this was typical. A little of this, a little of that, whatever's left in the fridge or catches the eye. :lol:

Do you put meat in yours?

No I was taught peas and a cube of mozzarella.They were a Lenten food. I was also taught 1/2 white rice and 1/2 cold (plain) risotto. I also form my balls chill them, and then bread them. The woman that I learned from was an old Calabrian woman. I seldom waver from any of Clara's instructions.

ETA: I do know that some folks (Sicilians) will use some meat, usually left over braciole. My DD makes an Asian version with BBQ pork in the center and drizzled with Mae Ploy.

Pizza here too. With peaches, arugula and gorgonzola. I know it sounds weird but it's seriously killer.

Pizza here too. With peaches, arugula and gorgonzola. I know it sounds weird but it's seriously killer.

That sounds delicious, do you cook the peaches at all first?

That sounds utterly gorgeous!

I had toasted cheese with wocester sauce after a long day. But now your Avatar makes me want to regurgitate it :shock:

That sounds delicious, do you cook the peaches at all first?

No cooking first, just thin sliced so they cook along with the pizza. Forgot to mention that you drizzle it with balsamic after you take it out of the oven. It's divine. I'll have to find the recipe and post it (I love to take cooking classes and I think this one's from Sur La Table).

Kung pao tofu, because I bought extra tofu the other day. And forgot that what I was really craving earlier this week was spaghetti africaine. :oops: Oh well, peanuts is peanuts.

No I was taught peas and a cube of mozzarella.They were a Lenten food. I was also taught 1/2 white rice and 1/2 cold (plain) risotto. I also form my balls chill them, and then bread them. The woman that I learned from was an old Calabrian woman. I seldom waver from any of Clara's instructions.

ETA: I do know that some folks (Sicilians) will use some meat, usually left over braciole. My DD makes an Asian version with BBQ pork in the center and drizzled with Mae Ploy.

My mother does half with mozz. Peas repulse me so I don't use them in anything. The Asian version sounds soooo good.

Yep. My best ones have been the inexpensive ones. The worst one I ever had was digital. I hated that thing.

I've been told that too- I've got a few of the less expensive crock pots- a 4.5 qt, one of the little ones for potporri, one of the little ones for dip, it works well for heating up a small amount of soup, and I bought a 2.5 qt at Target on sale this summer. I have some quail and I think it will be good to cook them in. (I have mole sauce in the freezer, and salsa verde in jars, both should be good to throw in with them.)

And since this is about tonight's dinner, I had hot crash potatoes (from the Pioneer Woman's website) with ajvar, homemade yogurt with nutella mixed in, and a handful of cherry tomatoes from the garden. With an upset stomach from antibiotics, everything was pretty comfort food type stuff.

Dinner can't come soon enough! I'm making pesto and having it with wholemeal spaghetti. Plus chicken schnitzel and a rocket (um, arugula!), semi-dried tomato and parmesan salad.

I suspect dinner will actually be lunch. My sleep schedule is so warped.

Today's bargain, approximately 40 chillies for 30p. They are currently roasting in my oven with some good olive oil and Maldon salt. With seared Scallops and Langoustine on a bed of baby spinach and watercress leaves. Hot ciabatta to soak up the yummy.

I love weekends, time not just to cook, but not rush shopping.

Today's bargain, approximately 40 chillies for 30p. They are currently roasting in my oven with some good olive oil and Maldon salt. With seared Scallops and Langoustine on a bed of baby spinach and watercress leaves. Hot ciabatta to soak up the yummy.

I love weekends, time not just to cook, but not rush shopping.

I'm shamed. I figured I would not be cooking tonight due to the defucking of the habitat. I'm having fish sticks tonight, a guilty pleasure.

Dinner tonight will be curried pumpkin soup and crunchy bread. We just ate a large bacon and egg brunch :D Gotta love Sundays.

Tonight had a friend over on the fly and it was egg frittata with potato, cheddar, broccoli and basil. Made baked apples from the first batch gotten at the market from a local orchard. Friend brought a Pinot Grigio, so that made everything taste better. :D

I was at a hippie music festival today. Lunch was a gallette with pesto, cheese, olives, greens and sunflower seeds (going back tomorrow for one of the sweet crepes, either pear and chocolate or coconut and chocolate probably), and dinner was a caprese salad. I'm going to have yogurt when I get out of the shower tonight.

(and I promise you, I'll have some fried stuff tomorrow, maybe garlic fries)

Archived