IGNORED

Yes, the Republican Party Does Hate Women

formergothardite

http://www.religionnews.com/blogs/omid- ... hate-women

Let’s leave aside the usual class analysis and the justification of wealth for another conversation. No, let’s focus on the heart of the matter, the National Review’s comments on gender. So there is no misunderstanding, here is the citation in full:

It is a curious scientific fact (explained in evolutionary biology by the Trivers-Willard hypothesis — Willard, notice) that high-status animals tend to have more male offspring than female offspring, which holds true across many species, from red deer to mink to Homo sap. The offspring of rich families are statistically biased in favor of sons — the children of the general population are 51 percent male and 49 percent female, but the children of the Forbes billionaire list are 60 percent male.

Have a gander at that Romney family picture: five sons, zero daughters. Romney has 18 grandchildren, and they exceed a 2:1 ratio of grandsons to granddaughters (13:5). When they go to church at their summer-vacation home, the Romney clan makes up a third of the congregation. He is basically a tribal chieftain.

Professor Obama? Two daughters. May as well give the guy a cardigan. And fallopian tubes.

From an evolutionary point of view, Mitt Romney should get 100 percent of the female vote. All of it. He should get Michelle Obama’s vote.

You are reading that correctly, having girls means you aren't a good leader. You need to be a manly man and have boys. Just like Mitt.

If it has any hopes of recovering its credibility as a legitimate voice in American politics, Republicans need to take a long and hard look at why and how this kind of hatred for half of American citizens, half of the world’s population, has become so everyday, so accepted, so unchallenged, in their midst.

There is something rotten in the soul of the GOP party. It seems to officially hate the poor, hate the women, hate Hispanics, hate Muslims, hate gays/lesbians, hate environmentalists, hate unions, hate teachers. Who is left unhated?

The only people left unhated by most of the die-hard Republicans that I know are rich, white men.

How do they explain my husband? He doesn't work at all right now and is entirely dependent on me for shelter, food, clothing, etc. And yet, he has a son.

Whoever wrote that article is an idiot and needs to take a science class.

I haven't actually looked this up recently but I remember learning that the reason wealthier people have more boys is that the boy sperm and boy babies are actually WEAKER and less likely to survive. So naturally they do better in families with better nutrition, access to healthcare, etc.

I haven't actually looked this up recently but I remember learning that the reason wealthier people have more boys is that the boy sperm and boy babies are actually WEAKER and less likely to survive. So naturally they do better in families with better nutrition, access to healthcare, etc.

That is really interesting. I think I found the article here: http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... 2491.short

And a Telegraph article here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... -sons.html

I can't even...

I want off. I'm gonna stick out my thumb and get my towel ready.

Good idea. Think I'll join you.

I suppose I shouldn't mention that the state of Virginia has approved regulations that would force the closure of the state's abortion clinics?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vir ... story.html

Evolutionary psychology is psuedo-science and not actual science. I would expect a conservative to understand actual behavioral or social evolution about as well as they understand evolution in general or biology in general, which is not very well. This is as factually incorrect as the idea that rape magically shuts down pregnancy. They make up their facts to suit their agenda.

If this had been written by a liberal the Republicans would be screaming about how horrible liberal evolution is and how God values both men and women equally, so that proves that liberals are evil. But since it was written by a Republican it will, at the very least, be passed off as a "just a joke" and "no big deal".

You beat me to it ... and TWIN daughters, at that

I don't know if it counts, but Laura Bush had a hard time getting pregnant and used IVF. You know, that evil science.

But for the record, I kind of like Laura Bush as a woman. She's pro-choice and as first refused to be formally addressed as Mrs. George Bush when invited to functions.

If there is a correlation between more boys being born and better conditions, it likely has to do with a baby's odds of surviving a premature birth.

More boys are born than girls (51%) but girls born early are more likely to survive than boys born at the same gestational period. Having access to top notch (expensive) health care probably helps give premature boys better odds of survival.

Ever notice that most surviving conjoined twins you see or hear about are girls? That's because infant girls in general are better able to survive tough conditions.

If there is a correlation between more boys being born and better conditions, it likely has to do with a baby's odds of surviving a premature birth.

More boys are born than girls (51%) but girls born early are more likely to survive than boys born at the same gestational period. Having access to top notch (expensive) health care probably helps give premature boys better odds of survival.

Ever notice that most surviving conjoined twins you see or hear about are girls? That's because infant girls in general are better able to survive tough conditions.

The same can be said about some genetic disorders. I used to have a little girl in my class with 18q deletion. I don't know the complexities of it, but it involves one of the X chromosomes and because she had two, she continued gestating while a boy would have been spontaneously aborted (ie, miscarried) since he just has one X chromosome.

The same can be said about some genetic disorders. I used to have a little girl in my class with 18q deletion. I don't know the complexities of it, but it involves one of the X chromosomes and because she had two, she continued gestating while a boy would have been spontaneously aborted (ie, miscarried) since he just has one X chromosome.

Yes, having two X’s is a major advantage with disorders associated with the X chromosome. Take hemophilia for example. If a girl inherits an X chromosome with hemophilia, her other X will prevent it from manifesting. She will still be a carrier, but she will not have any symptoms. A boy who inherits an X with hemophilia, however, will have the disease because he doesn't have that second X to protect him.

It's political satire people! The whole piece is making fun of those who degrade Romney for his wealth.

I do think it's tongue in cheek.

Evolutionary psychology is psuedo-science and not actual science. I would expect a conservative to understand actual behavioral or social evolution about as well as they understand evolution in general or biology in general, which is not very well. This is as factually incorrect as the idea that rape magically shuts down pregnancy. They make up their facts to suit their agenda.

I've got a prof who is very interested in the idea of Evo Psych but who is reluctant to admit it, because there is so much nonsense in the field. He believes our evolution can explain some very basic, very fundamental parts of our psychology (like that we derive pleasure from fatty, sugary foods, or that we are usually driven to be around other people) but that the most you can do with this is speculate. I think that's reasonable and probably true, but it only works on an extremely general, broad basis.

And yet there are so many people out there who say "we have proved that girls like pink because they picked berries in our past!!1" when there is no proof that girls innately prefer pink, that previous women were berry pickers, that there is any mechanism by which this tendency would be passed down, that this would somehow not have shown up in times when pink was considered a masculine colour and then spontaneously re-emerge in the mid-20th century, etc. I've even seen evo psych explanations for why boys like computers so much more than girls! It's a total failure of critical thinking. They start with a conclusion and back it up with rationalizations. Like you said, totally pseudo-science.

Pfft! Minor details!

Women exist to be perks for victorious, manly men. You know, like cars and cufflinks. So obviously, somebody will produce the women to order. One of those invisible worker types. You know.

Archived