IGNORED

The Coghlans may be moving!

tabitha2

I don't know if you've ever been here, Experienced, but there are actually some very liberal pockets in Texas. The town where I live is one. Austin, you're probably aware of its deserved reputation. South Texas is extremely blue and has a predominately Mexican-heritaged population. Houston has an openly lesbian mayor.

We are surely not beyond reproach because we keep exporting so many idiots and the legislature is corrupt as hell, but Kim is not representative of the majority of the state.

I used to spend a bit of time down Austin and Kerrville, I have a lovely ex I see in Texas annually, and my BF from HS was a liberal Presby minister in the Woodlands I visited often. My comments were in the spirit of the forum and generally induced by that special brand of cray cray that is Kim. I do not get all butt hurt if someone comments about the Jersey Shore or any of the myriad of stereotypes my home state of NJ has generated.

Alas I've burned my burger by typing this. Please consider it karma earned.

I can respect that, but can you not see how smug that is to imply what she did and how it could offend people.Texans get the shaft when it comes to stereotypes and assumptions and jokes from people who should know better.

Really. They're the only ones.

I've lived in two states- California and Kansas..

I can respect that, but can you not see how smug that is to imply what she did and how it could offend people.Texans get the shaft when it comes to stereotypes and assumptions and jokes from people who should know better.

Oh please. Texas is not the only state that people mock. I also come from a state that is relentlessly mocked. I suck it up and ignore what people say. Texas has done a LOT to earn its reputation. That doesn't mean all Texans are like that (hell, it's a state with millions and millions of people, of course there are all sorts of people there). But the stereotypes that exist about Texas didn't spring out of nowhere.

Oh please. Texas is not the only state that people mock. I also come from a state that is relentlessly mocked. I suck it up and ignore what people say. Texas has done a LOT to earn its reputation. That doesn't mean all Texans are like that (hell, it's a state with millions and millions of people, of course there are all sorts of people there). But the stereotypes that exist about Texas didn't spring out of nowhere.

Apparently the stereotype needs to be updated to include "completely lacking a sense of humor" now that we've lost Molly Ivins.

Getting back to the Coghlans, I wonder just where in north central SA they're planning to move. Probably north of 1604. The closer to downtown you are, the bluer the map gets, with the notable exceptions of Olmos Park, Alamo Heights and Terrill Hills. But there is absolutely no way they could afford to live in one of those places.

Surely San Antonio has a few not-so-fancy exurbs or former small towns orbiting it? I don't know (drove through Texas when I was 9 years old on a road trip and that was it) but here in the Land of Corruption, uh, Lincoln (yeah we have our stereotypes too!) around any blue city there's usually some small town just at the edge of somewhat affordable commutability that's plenty red, has long since morphed into a bedroom community for the horrible blue city, but whose newer residents will get really really offended if you dare imply that they're suburban commuters and not hearty rural types.

Surely San Antonio has a few not-so-fancy exurbs or former small towns orbiting it? I don't know (drove through Texas when I was 9 years old on a road trip and that was it) but here in the Land of Corruption, uh, Lincoln (yeah we have our stereotypes too!) around any blue city there's usually some small town just at the edge of somewhat affordable commutability that's plenty red, has long since morphed into a bedroom community for the horrible blue city, but whose newer residents will get really really offended if you dare imply that they're suburban commuters and not hearty rural types.

Well, "north central San Antonio" can mean anything from 1930's through 1950's neighborhoods not too far from downtown, through 1970's/1980's neighborhoods between 410 and 1604, to loads and loads of new construction north of 1604. But small towns...there are some around San Antonio but not really on the north side. It's suburbs as far as the eye can see. If you go out northwest, there's Helotes, and even further takes you to Boerne. But nobody considers that "north central."

I used to spend a bit of time down Austin and Kerrville, I have a lovely ex I see in Texas annually, and my BF from HS was a liberal Presby minister in the Woodlands I visited often. My comments were in the spirit of the forum and generally induced by that special brand of cray cray that is Kim. I do not get all butt hurt if someone comments about the Jersey Shore or any of the myriad of stereotypes my home state of NJ has generated.

Alas I've burned my burger by typing this. Please consider it karma earned.

I live very, very, close to the Woodlands. You are correct it's pretty liberal. Houstonians are like New Yorkers. Use some common sense, get out of my way, and don't make your problems my problems. We are well aware of the Texas stereotypes and quite frankly ignore most of them. Just never compare Houston to Dallas "them are fightin words".

I live very, very, close to the Woodlands. You are correct it's pretty liberal. Houstonians are like New Yorkers. Use some common sense, get out of my way, and don't make your problems my problems. We are well aware of the Texas stereotypes and quite frankly ignore most of them. Just never compare Houston to Dallas "them are fightin words".

You are correct. That is because we in Houston are freaking awesome and Dallas is a land of suckage.

Yes.I live in Dallas now and would return to Houston in slit second if i could...What area do you live in?

I'm still commuting in to the Reliant area for now, I'm apartment hunting at the moment.

What will the neighbors think when she births the latest addition on the verandah?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Houston's a fairly live and let live type of town, but surely they would be taken aback at such an event. Especially if there are a bunch

of d@mn chickens on the porch.

You know, KimC's not just a Texan. I'd like to blame some of her unusual behavior on her upbringing in the pacific northwest.

The whole Twin Peaks vibe.

You are correct. That is because we in Houston are freaking awesome and Dallas is a land of suckage.

Oh I don't know about that. We don't have any ocean to worry about here, (no hurricanes), the mosquitoes and cockroaches are mouse and not rat sized, and once in a blue moon you may actually see some snow up here.

Then who's in charge of defunding Planned Parenthood?

That would be the strongly Republican legislature. It was mostly the dumbass caucus that voted them in there, but the strongly democratic areas have been broken up to keep Republicans in power--that's why our primary was moved so far back and the issue is still being battled in court.

That would be the strongly Republican legislature. It was mostly the dumbass caucus that voted them in there, but the strongly democratic areas have been broken up to keep Republicans in power--that's why our primary was moved so far back and the issue is still being battled in court.

Exactly. The Republicans have done a number on the state in terms of re-districting. It was masterfully, if unconstitutionally, done so that there are no moderate Dems anymore. There are no Democrats holding state office. The Republicans are all crazy here. Ted Cruz is insane. BTW, Ted Cruz was born in Canada. Can we give him back?

Oh I don't know about that. We don't have any ocean to worry about here, (no hurricanes), the mosquitoes and cockroaches are mouse and not rat sized, and once in a blue moon you may actually see some snow up here.

You be talking to the wrong girl...I like running fron hurricanes. And I've been all over the south and the bugs are all the same. Gross. And when we get snow they still talk about it five states away a week later.

Archived