IGNORED

Politico and crazy "abortion extremist" opinion

LadyBlue

Article here http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/80013.html

From a strictly down-the-middle, neutral perspective, if one side of a debate is “extreme,†the opposite and countervailing side is equally “extreme.†It would never even occur to the media to apply this standard to abortion. Under the guise of upholding abortion rights, Barack Obama could favor denying legal protection to babies after they are born and the press wouldn’t bat an eyelash. In fact—he did.

What the heck?

And an article to counter the crazy http://www.theroot.com/blogs/barack-obama/there-s-no-such-thing-abortion-extremist

There is always an extreme counterpoint, I agree, but this guy fails to see what it is.

Extreme 1: Abortion is bad. Women should be forced to not have abortions.

Extreme 2: Abortion is good. Women should be forced to have abortions.

Middle ground: Let women decide when to have abortions.

This quote really got to me:

...a Democratic majority that will sooner desecrate the American flag on the Senate floor than restrict abortion in any manner.

Ummmmm... yeah, my body IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN AN INANIMATE PIECE OF FABRIC! I actually would rather desecrate a SYMBOL than tell someone what they are allowed to do with their reproductive organs. GAH!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

There is always an extreme counterpoint, I agree, but this guy fails to see what it is.

Extreme 1: Abortion is bad. Women should be forced to not have abortions.

Extreme 2: Abortion is good. Women should be forced to have abortions.

Middle ground: Let women decide when to have abortions.

Despite what some fundies may claim, I have never actually heard of Extreme 2 as someone's real opinion. And yet Extreme 1 is the standard pro-life position. Go figure. I like to take the sensible middle ground of letting women make their own choices. I never understood how people who want to impose their beliefs on others DON'T see how extreme they're being.

ETA I forgot a few necessary words.

I love that these people are all about preventing fetuses from being aborted but have no interest in lowering our infant mortality rate, which is among the worst in the developed world.

I love that these people are all about preventing fetuses from being aborted but have no interest in lowering our infant mortality rate, which is among the worst in the developed world.

Becuz we have to save the unborn baybeez. Once they're born they can suck it

Archived