IGNORED

What other companies should be boycotted?

NJMom

There's a serious lack of nuance in this thread title. Why not:

What other companies have confirmed racist/sexist/homophobic policies?

What other companies suck and why?

What places will you never support and why?

etc.

As is, it sounds too much like a North Korean government email.

:roll: Please, no one forces you to boycott anyone.

And way to impose your views of what we should post or not on others ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how I feel about boycotting. I suppose in a capitalist society one of the few means of autonomy we have is through consumer power, but I also tend to think that boycotting placates the educated few without changing anything, whereas their ire could have been exercised in protests or strikes in the public eye that actually have a chance of change. Anyone care to chip in? (especially JesusFightClub, our political views seem to be similar)

With Urban Outfitters, you also have to avoid Anthropologie, Free People, Terrain and BHLDN (if you happen to have those nearby).

[link=http://pinkpanthers.tumblr.com/post/618605551/boycott-these-anti-gay-companies-do-not-give-them-your]Here[/link] is another good article with a lot more information on these companies and what they have done, many giving money to certain campaigns, other just have CEO's who advocate certain beliefs, and a few that simply don't have in place any anti-discrimination or partner benefits for workers who are gay. Very Interesting read!

So I guess it all depends where you want to draw your line on who to Boycott. Just people who are monetarily supporting campaigns against equal rights? Or all companies that don't have in place equal rights for workers who are gay or their partners?

A-1 Self Storage Company: Terry Caster is the owner. It is a family (third generation) run company. They have over 40 locations in California. The Californians Against Hate blog reports: “Mr. Caster and his family have contributed $693,000 to the Protect Marriage campaign. That makes the Casters the 2nd largest individual donors to Yes on Prop 8.†[GuyDads]

AutoZone Inc: Does not offer domestic partner benefits to their employees. The company can discriminate against and exclude same-sex couples in ways they can’t do to opposite-sex (married) couples. A Fortune 500 company. [hrC buyers guide]

CBRL Group Inc. (Cracker Barrel restaurants) Operates 579 full-service Cracker Barrel restaurants and gift shops in 41 states. The business has a long history of discriminating against gays and blacks, both as employees and dinners. It had an HR policy from 1991 until 2002 that said “It is inconsistent with our concept and values, and is perceived to be inconsistent with those of our customer base, to continue to employ individuals in our operating units whose sexual preferences fail to demonstrate normal heterosexual values.†Seventeen workers were fired because they admitted or were assumed to be gay after the first few months that the policy was created. [Wikipedia] A spokesperson in 2008 said Cracker Barrel “welcomes all guests, and our equal opportunity employment statement clearly states that we will not tolerate discrimination based on sexual orientation.†However, it does not offer diversity training, domestic partner benefits or any support for their GLBT employees. It has a Corporate Equality Index score of 15/100. [hrC]

Cinemark: Alan Stock, Cinemark’s CEO, gave $9,999 to the “Yes on 8†(Protectmarriage.com) campaign. Cinemark has 2700 movie screens in North and South America. In northern California they mainly operate under Century, CinéArts and Cinedome name. [GuyDads]

Dish Network: Company shareholders recently (6/08) shot down a proposal that would bar the company from discriminating against employees based on their sexual orientation. Dish Network also chooses not to carry LGBT cable networks Logo and Here! [Queers United]

Domino’s Pizza: While Domino’s does not directly contribute to anti-gay activity, founder Tom Monaghan has contributed heavily to initiatives and organizations that oppose the rights of GLBTs. He is a co-founder of the Thomas More Law Center, which is advocating in court to restrict access to domestic partner benefits, and in 2001 financed a ballot proposal in Ypsilanti, MI to remove sexual orientation from that city’s non-discrimination ordinance. David Brandon, the current CEO, also opposes gay marriage.

ExxonMobil: Eliminated domestic-partner benefits for same-sex partners when the two companies merged in 1999. It is the largest Fortune 500 company that does not offer domestic-partner benefits. It also refuses to ban discrimination based on orientation and gender identity. [hrC buyers guide]

Golfland Entertainment Centers: The Kenneys, the family that owns and runs this business, were big donors to the “Yes on H8â€. Together they contributed over $35,000 to take rights away from gays, lesbians and their families. They run a chain of family fun centers in California and Arizona. [GuyDads]

Insure.com (online insurance quote-comparison portal): The Company is a major sponsor of Bill O’Reilly’s radio talk show and Bill gives voice to their commercial. In addition to selling insurance, they provide information about the insurance industry. In an article on the business website entitled “Top five ways to kill yourself and get away with itâ€, They lists the number one way to kill yourself: “1. Being gay.â€

[boxturtlebullentin.com]

Manchester Grand Resorts: Doug Manchester, owner of San Diego’s Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel and Grand del Mar Resort gave $125,000 to Yes on Prop 8 campaign. [boycottmanchesterhotels.com]

Update: 10 month boycott has so far cost the resort about $7 million dollars in lost business. Manchester has offered a $25,000 cash gift to a national organization that supports only civil unions and to make $100,000 in hotel credits to GLBT organizations. Gay groups turned down the blood money.

Meijer Inc. (Retail supercenter) Owns 180 huge grocery and general merchandise stores in the Midwest. It is a family owned business. The only good thing to be said about Meijer is “they don’t engage, that we know of, in any activity that would undermine the goals of equal rights for GLBT people,†said Jay Smith Brown, a previous HRC director for communication strategies. It has a very low Corporate Equality Index score of 15/100. It does not offer diversity training, domestic partner benefits or any support for their GLBT employees. [hrC]

OutsidePride.com: Sounds like gay banner website but, in fact, is an on-line seed and lawn care retailer. Troy Hake, the president of Outside Pride, sent a homophobic manifesto to the participants of his company’s email list, trying to rally them in a full-on campaign against “the whole CBS homosexual cartelâ€. He says he is not a bigot but is tired of homosexuals rewriting history. [The Consumerist]

Salvation Army: This “non-profit†religious organization is anti-gay and actively lobbies against pro-gay legislation in the US and abroad. The money you put in that red kettle is going to anti-gay evangelical Christian lobbyists. They believe that since they’re a “church†they have the right to not hire gay people because they are sinners. Salvation Army reserves the right to discriminate in hiring, promoting, and firing gay people, and in the benefits they provide their employees. And they come right out and admit that “practicing homosexuals†are not welcome in the “church.†[americablog.com]

Urban Outfitters: Richard Hayne, the Chairman of the hipsterish Urban Outfitters, is a notably right-wing Republican who generously supports GOP candidates and causes that vote for legislation against gay marriage. His company also operates stores under Free People and Anthropologie name.

NOTE: Glen Senk, the CEO of the parent company, Urban Outfitters, Inc., is an openly gay man who has been in a committed relationship for over 30 years. However, Richard Hayne is still the founder and current chairman and does indeed have a record for supporting right-wing Republicans who are against abortion and gay rights. [NYMag]

Wal-Mart Stores Inc.: Does not offer domestic partner benefits except in locations required by law. Wal-Mart is the largest retail seller of books but refuses to carry any LGBT titles in their stores. [hrC buyers guide] Wal-Mart CEO Mike Duke and his wife signed petitions to ban adoption for same-sex couples in Arkansas

I don't know how I feel about boycotting. I suppose in a capitalist society one of the few means of autonomy we have is through consumer power, but I also tend to think that boycotting placates the educated few without changing anything, whereas their ire could have been exercised in protests or strikes in the public eye that actually have a chance of change. Anyone care to chip in? (especially JesusFightClub, our political views seem to be similar)

I think it takes both to really get the point across. Boycotts can be very powerful - see the Montgomery bus boycotts. Striking won't do much good with Chick-fil-a, especially with the current unemployment. Open protests might bring attention to the issue, and cause more people to boycott. Ultimately, well publicized boycotting is the most effective way to get a private organization to change their practices.

Personally, I can't really boycott Chick-fil-a because I never really ate there anyway. We have them around here, but they aren't convenient to where I live and I just never think to eat there. If I'm going to drive 20 minutes to get fast food, then I'm going to Bojangles. Instead of boycotting, I just make sure I talk about the issues with friends who aren't as attentive to the news.

I feel pretty uncomfortable with consumer politics in general - a lot of it seems to be centered around feeling good about ones spending habits, or from a place of judging others spending, when the reality is, is most western countries it is pretty impossible to make 100% ethical consumption decisions. Take, for example, fair trade certified products, whose purchase you would assume is a positive consumption decision- farmers often find the restrictions imposed by fair trade certification harmful or incompatible with their lives, and very little additional money is actually received by them - the real profit is in the retail markup. It's also a form of political action that inherently excludes those without large disposable incomes, or without access to a variety of retail options. While obviously we shouldn't be actively seeking to support corporations that donate to hate groups, spending decisions that don't line up with your politics are virtually unavoidable.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, if my method of political activism is in the same vein as Josh Duggar's, I know I'm doing something wrong

Well, you hardly need a new reason to boycott Walmart, and as a New Yorker I feel I should avoid Domino's on general principles. Pizza should be, um, good.

Don't shop at any of those places, actually. That's just frustrating. It doesn't really count as a boycott if you're just continuing to not shop there, does it? What companies should we support, there's a better question. Oh, screw it, I'll just give $5 to the local LGBT center or something.

Philly girl here. I don't eat Pizza unless I am in NY, NJ, Philly, or Chicago. Grease and carbs are special. They need to be worth it.

During my Wally World stint we didn't have enough time to keep up with keeping the store from becoming a disaster area, let alone time for actual customer service. I did the best I could but when you are trying to do the job of at least three people (and are getting written up for not pulling that off!) you're pretty much screwed. To think those assholes claimed we were so well treated we "didn't need a union." BULL. SHIT. I've heard it's gotten way worse in the years since, too.

So, yeah, I won't set foot in Walmart. I don't try to convince other people to go along with me on that though I will totally tell them I won't go there and why if they ask -- I have tried to convince my own mom but even she won't not go there and it pisses me off -- but if I am in the car, say, and the others are going there, I will wait in the car. Or outside, if it's too hot to wait in a car. Fortunately I live 80 miles from one now so this doesn't come up much.

I knew about Chick-fil-A years ago so avoided them even when I was in an area where they were. So they don't get my money.

nooooooooo I just bought stuff from there and that's pretty much the only option apart from crappy weird sleazy kmart in town :(

Aww, Target? They just posted a really great gay wedding registry ad, so I thought they were okay. I know they'd probably do almost anything to tap an untapped market, but really? Conservative asses who donate to anti-gay causes also pander to same sex couples who want a wedding registry? WTF?

I REFUSE to shop at Wal Mart for the reasons everyone has stated. I had a friend whose husband had surgery, and they would not let her off work to attend. Told her that if she didn't show up, she would be fired. She is such a sweet lady, she was too scared not to go in to work. I HATE Wal Mart!

Hobby Lobby is also the only place that has posted on its windows that it reserves the right to search your bags (read = purse). I know why they do this--otherwise they'd have to watch a potential shoplifter until s/he exits to the parking lot. I love how this good "christian" outfit thinks its potential customers are shoplifters.

In the past this wasn't uncommon in some local stores near where I grew up- especially near community college campuses. They'd make you leave backpacks and anything bigger than a smaller purse outside. While I don't like this policy I don't see it as outrageous. There are other issues about hobby lobby that pretty much makes this a non issue.

A couple of the listed stores seem to be listed because they don't offer benefits to same sex partners. Really, how common is that- I am a teacher, and government jobs don't offer benefits for same sex partners, and before that I did work for a company that did only for full time employees, but it was one of the first in the US to offer so.

I can see other things for a boycott, but simply the offering of benefits for same sex partners? If we had socialized health insurance that wouldn't even matter.

A couple of the listed stores seem to be listed because they don't offer benefits to same sex partners. Really, how common is that- I am a teacher, and government jobs don't offer benefits for same sex partners, and before that I did work for a company that did only for full time employees, but it was one of the first in the US to offer so.

I can see other things for a boycott, but simply the offering of benefits for same sex partners? If we had socialized health insurance that wouldn't even matter.

Yeah that's what I was thinking! Where do you draw the line? I can understand boycotting companies that financially support campaigns against equality, but there is lots of companies and jobs where the same sex partner won't get any benefits. Which I guess is why legalizing gay marriage is SO important!

However I feel if a company doesn't have in place an anti-discrimination act protecting the hiring or firing of someone based solely on their sexual preference of the worker or worker to be, then that is wrong! But does that necessarily merit a boycott? Those cases are obviously very hard to prove!

There really is lots of angles for sure and its certainly made me think!

I wonder if that is legally enforceable? Kind of like the "you break, you buy" signs. I'm pretty sure they aren't enforceable. If something gets broken that's the cost of doing business. Your supposed to have insurance to cover it. Either way there is no effing way I'd let them paw through my purse.

I was in a store with a sign like that. They put it on the exit door, which I don't understand. Why not put it at the entrance and actually deter people from stealing stuff?

treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/want-to-boycott-the-koch-brothers-products-heres-where-to-start.html

I personally try to stay away from the koch brothers products/Georgia Pacific.

I think for me, I am just good with boycotting those who actively lobby against gay marriage. If a company doesnt offer domestic partnership benefits, it's sad but more the norm and it's not an active anti-gay statement. Most companies probably will not provide domestic partnership benefits until forced to. It all comes down to money there... Though I do applaud companies who do offer domestic partnership benefits. I work for a company that does not offer them... but as far as I know, my company is not donating money to anti-gay groups. (If they were, then I'd probably start looking for another job.)

I think it is unacceptable that businesses make enough money to donate to political campaigns instead of giving decent benefits to their employees, and decent salaries. If they are funding anything I think it should be clearly stated in their shops and on their websites.

But I also think that we should have more details about where our products are manufactures (by whom, what conditions) and how our produce is produced and harvested.

I'm just sick of living in this capitalist society (and I mean any around the world) where all decisions about economy are made as if we were all rational actors knowing all information beforehand which is an absolute lie.

IIRC, Forever 21 is owned by right-wing wackos.

I'm happy to say that I haven't purchased anything from WalMart in about 20 years. Hate that company.

I wonder if that is legally enforceable? Kind of like the "you break, you buy" signs. I'm pretty sure they aren't enforceable. If something gets broken that's the cost of doing business. Your supposed to have insurance to cover it. Either way there is no effing way I'd let them paw through my purse.

There is a bead warehouse in San Diego that doesn't even allow purses or other bags in the store. You are to lock it in the car or use one of their lockers while you shop. I've never been in a Hobby Lobby but if they have a lot of tiny craft items, they may have had similar problems. Since I'm of the don't like to be treated like a criminal unless I am one, I haven't been back to the bead warehouse since I became aware of the no purse policy. I'll have no problem avoiding Hobby Lobby either as I think the closest one to me is about 100 or 150 miles away. :)

Edited for clarity.

I had a huge response typed out about how consumer action can get rich people to make small gestures, but how they won't willingly give up their wealth or power, or advocate anything that would risk losing them that, and how I don't want my power as an individual to depend on some rich guy's benevolence, when my computer died. Now that it's booted up and I'm done throwing things (PMS from Hell), I'm just going to quote myself from another thread:

I think people take this "vote with your dollar" thing too far, from believing it is the be-all and end-all of activism (even to the point of considering agitating for political change unnecessary because we can just vote with our dollars!) to placing companies in a good-bad binary which totally ignores the fact that they all do bad stuff. I don't have the faith in capitalism necessary to want to direct too much of my energy into shopping ideologically, although I usually can't bring myself to give money to companies once I learn of specific bad things they do.

All of this makes me want to open my own business and be very open about my liberal views.

I have fantasized in the past about opening a coffee shop selling all organic coffee and products... And promoting a green environment and such... So in my dream coffee shop, I'd also advertise that I donate a portion of my proceeds to GLAAD each year.

Don't know if this place donates to GLAAD but I do love them for their support of local and organic

http://www.thegreenbeancoffeehouse.blogspot.se/

The tricky thing about boycotting is knowing the sort of chain-link aspect of it. You may choose to boycott one brand because you know it supports something you disagree with. But what about all the other brands that might be tied to it through a larger parent company? Say you decide to boycott NBC/Universal (I don't know why, it just came to mind as an example) are you then going to boycott G.M. and medical devices? I guess my question is, where do you draw the line in those types of situations. If you decide to boycott Apple because of its shoddy labour practices....well then do you boycott every company that outsources in the same fashion? And the Koch brothers have their fingers in nearly everything so that gets tricky. Yes, some of the things they support are obvious but others less so. I guess what I am saying is that our whole economic system is a giant clusterfuck ethically and boycotting, while useful always feel a little hypocritical and flawed because while you boycott a few things or perhaps many, there are dubious practices everywhere and we're all inevitably a part of them. Unless you've never bought a single new thing in your life.

Not that Chick-fil-a and other bigoted places shouldn't be boycotted. I'm just saying that boycotting as a general principle is a tricky and complicated practice and I doubt if it can ever be done properly.

Also, didn't Citizens United pretty much fuck the idea of boycotting? I mean, I kind of feel like they have legally won in so many ways and a few people boycotting won't do much to stop anything.

I had a huge response typed out about how consumer action can get rich people to make small gestures, but how they won't willingly give up their wealth or power, or advocate anything that would risk losing them that, and how I don't want my power as an individual to depend on some rich guy's benevolence, when my computer died. Now that it's booted up and I'm done throwing things (PMS from Hell), I'm just going to quote myself from another thread:

Both your and bouncyball's responses, really. People who boycott and think it will change stuff are doing the "make capitalism nicer" thing. Doesnae work.

However I totally understand the impulse. I don't go to Maccy D's for multiple reasons and don't go to the Gap because back when I was in high school they said "Any worker who has problems with our policies is free to email us" in response to the criticism of them exploiting sweatshop workers. So I just can't. I couldn't have gone to the Chick-Fil-A on the anti gay marriage day either. But I don't think it will change the face of capitalism. That's not and never will be changeable into a good thing, and we need a socialist revolution.

My father refused to shop at walmart for the longest time for all the reasons mentioned. But they're really the only place that has some of the stuff we need, as we live in a small town. As far as Chick Fil-A goes... I'm vegan, so I'll just...continue to never go there.

But I don't think it will change the face of capitalism. That's not and never will be changeable into a good thing, and we need a socialist revolution.

:dance: Ohhh it's so refreshing to hear someone say this without being told it's naive or immature or isn't how the world works or too idealistic etc etc.

Archived