IGNORED

What other companies should be boycotted?

NJMom

Until the whole Chick Fil A incident came about, I admit that I haven't paid all that much attention to companies and their political views, but I really think I need to start becoming more aware of them. Can anyone share other companies that practice such overt discrimination and that need to be boycotted? If the general public isn't aware of their views, hate will continue to spread in this country. TIA

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Question!

I just did a google, and found these 10 listed in [link=http://www.queerty.com/dont-buy-here-10-companies-that-hate-the-gays-20090224/]this article[/link]:

10. A-1 Self Storage Company

9. AutoZone Inc.

8. Brown-Forman Corp.

7. Cinemark

6. Domino’s Pizza

5. Salvation Army

4.Manchester Grand Resorts

3. Urban Outfitters

2. Walmart Stores Inc.

1. ExxonMobil

PS; Not my opinions just linking the article ;-) Not in the USA so this stuff probably doesn't apply, just figured I'd google

Walmart? Nooooo! I love that store!

How horrific they won't stock LGBT titles! Wtf. And what even defines a book as that anyway?

NJMom are you just asking about gay-related discrimination or others?

No Dominoe's!!!???!!! What do they do? :(

I know the original owner has spent a lot of his own money to fund some very conservative groups, and start up a Catholic college and town. But my understanding is that Domino's itself maintains a fairly neutral policy when it comes to donations and Tom whatshisname sold the company in the late 90's.

ETA: It's Tom Monaghan and he sold the company in 1998.

I know the original owner has spent a lot of his own money to fund some very conservative groups, and start up a Catholic college and town. But my understanding is that Domino's itself maintains a fairly neutral policy when it comes to donations and Tom whatshisname sold the company in the late 90's.

ETA: It's Tom Monaghan and he sold the company in 1998.

So it's OK now? I'm free to enjoy their breadsticks?

Well, you hardly need a new reason to boycott Walmart, and as a New Yorker I feel I should avoid Domino's on general principles. Pizza should be, um, good.

Don't shop at any of those places, actually. That's just frustrating. It doesn't really count as a boycott if you're just continuing to not shop there, does it? What companies should we support, there's a better question. Oh, screw it, I'll just give $5 to the local LGBT center or something.

So it's OK now? I'm free to enjoy their breadsticks?

I wouldn't know, I've never been able to enjoy anything from dominoes... :)

eta: I'm "born to be plaid" now, apparently. I don't get the fundie-related reference but appreciate it on a lesbian fashion level.

I'm just waiting to get out of this damn purity ball and get myself laid!

Curves. Curves owner is very prolife and have read non-Christians have been discriminated against when they go to work out there.

Target.

eta: I'm "born to be plaid" now, apparently. I don't get the fundie-related reference but appreciate it on a lesbian fashion level.

nooooooooo I just bought stuff from there and that's pretty much the only option apart from crappy weird sleazy kmart in town :(

I have boycotted Cracker Barrel for years based on information I've read where they've discriminated against people of non-white races. Also, I've read articles about them discriminating against single mothers and pregnant teenagers who have worked for them.

I refuse to shop at WalMart for multiple reasons... One of the main ones, though, is their deliberate thwarting of employees' attempts to unionize. And, also, they come into a small town and knock out the little guy... I'm all for small businesses and I try to use those as much as possible. Though they cost more, they often have customer service that makes up for it. WalMart does not having shining customer service... (Maybe they would if their employees could have a union and werent treated like crap.)

I dont see it as hurting the business. I feel that my boycott is personal. I chose not to spend my hard-earned money and therefore donate to their cause. That's how I'm seeing the whole Chick-FilA thing for me... They would use my money to donate to anti-gay groups and I wont allow that to happen. As a consumer, I feel I have to the right to chose who gets to profit off my money.

nooooooooo I just bought stuff from there and that's pretty much the only option apart from crappy weird sleazy kmart in town :(

Sorry. :c If it makes you feel better, I just found out that Gloria Jean's is off-limits.

We have one of those 10 min oil change places (can't remember the exact name) and they are offering $10 off your oil change if you bring in your Chick-Fil-A receipt. Makes me so damn mad...

Someone called the place I worked asking if we were giving discounts for Chick-Fil-A receipts. The lady who answered the phone was so disgusted she had to hang up on them. They called back and she let me answer the phone. I told them as politely as possible that we were not offering any discounts for bigots.

Hobby Lobby is big into Gothardism and probably some form of homophobic due to that as well.

Hobby Lobby is also the only place that has posted on its windows that it reserves the right to search your bags (read = purse). I know why they do this--otherwise they'd have to watch a potential shoplifter until s/he exits to the parking lot. I love how this good "christian" outfit thinks its potential customers are shoplifters.

Someone called the place I worked asking if we were giving discounts for Chick-Fil-A receipts. The lady who answered the phone was so disgusted she had to hang up on them. They called back and she let me answer the phone. I told them as politely as possible that we were not offering any discounts for bigots.

Well done. They are all pretty high on this right now. I'm happy to see someone bringing them back down to earth. :clap:

Hobby Lobby is also the only place that has posted on its windows that it reserves the right to search your bags (read = purse). I know why they do this--otherwise they'd have to watch a potential shoplifter until s/he exits to the parking lot. I love how this good "christian" outfit thinks its potential customers are shoplifters.

I wonder if that is legally enforceable? Kind of like the "you break, you buy" signs. I'm pretty sure they aren't enforceable. If something gets broken that's the cost of doing business. Your supposed to have insurance to cover it. Either way there is no effing way I'd let them paw through my purse.

Guest Anonymous

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the story behind this? Who's offering discounts for Chick-Fil-Ass receipts?

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the story behind this? Who's offering discounts for Chick-Fil-Ass receipts?

I guess some businesses are. I saw my favorite little coffee shop was. On their FB they were all "if you bring in a Chick-Fil-A receipt you can get a discount latte. A lot of people commented that they weren't going to get ANY coffee there anymore and suddenly the status disappeared. I think a lot of small businesses misjudged which side of this to come down on.

There's a serious lack of nuance in this thread title. Why not:

What other companies have confirmed racist/sexist/homophobic policies?

What other companies suck and why?

What places will you never support and why?

etc.

As is, it sounds too much like a North Korean government email.

All of this makes me want to open my own business and be very open about my liberal views.

I have fantasized in the past about opening a coffee shop selling all organic coffee and products... And promoting a green environment and such... So in my dream coffee shop, I'd also advertise that I donate a portion of my proceeds to GLAAD each year.

Archived