IGNORED

White Mormon in bright shirt="Woman of color"

Patsy

“I have a hard time with historians... because they idolize the truth. The truth is not uplifting; it destroys. Historians should tell only that part of the truth that is inspiring and uplifting.†-- Boyd K Packer

:shock: I understand being defensive when people call you on the hurtful things you've done in the past. But it's shitty to be more invested in feeling good about oneself than in making amends for the wrong one has done.

False witness is kind of a big deal for Christians, no? And they do consider themselves Christian, right?

One of my faves is the one about the Quaker-looking folks who, according to one of Joseph Smith's writings, live on the moon.

One tenet of Mormon theology is that the dictates of the current Prophet take precedence over those of past Prophets, so LDS church teachings tend to be pretty fluid.

Sunday School a few years ago in Sandy UT, so not from the pulpit or Official Church Teaching but still IN church and no one questioned it. I've heard a few really whacko theories about the lost tribes: They were sent to another planet, they are still on the earth but are in a location that is "protected" and won't be found or revealed until such and such a date, they live under the earth's crust, or they live under the ocean in an air pocket.

...yeah.

edit - here's a gem, thanks to The Almighty Google:

"I remember being taught in Sunday School (14-15 year olds, I think) the theory that the Earth was actually hollow and that it had a hole at the North Pole. The interior surface (of the hollow globe) was also inhabited and at the Earth's core was a light/heat source that allowed the people on the inside to see. This interior world was the location of the Lost 10 Tribes, who would be coming "out of the north" sometime soon, in advance of the 2nd coming. Back then, the theory was that this would happen 25-30 years in the future, which means it should be happening right around now."

That is just nuts. I've never heard that one, either, and I've been a member for all my 36 years.

Yep, these women are an embarrasment.

And yes, some Mormons really ARE this stupid. There are stupid people in every demographic.

QFT. The reason some Utah Mormons are really that stupid is that they've lived in a bubble their entire lives, as Robin Williams once described Utah as "the whitest state in the nation." As for those "lost tribes" beliefs, I never heard of those, and it just shows that Mormonism is crazier than I realized, and is now a close second to Scientology for crazy beliefs.

We all make mistakes. Hers was a pretty stupid one (I mean, shit, I'm not sure that that term is ever used here, but I've still heard of it), but the fact that she would respond to people's incredulity at her naivety with a quick lesson on what racism really is, seems to me to just speak of her complete disregard of any view other than hers. The fact that she would wade into a conversation of thousands and announce "Hold up! I, the person who has never really ever done any critical thinking about race, am about to tell you what's going on in modern America! I think you will find it is you who are racist" shows a complete disregard for anyone else. In the end, the only way she could empathise was to go into a daydream about Mormon oppression:

in a small way, I can understand minority groups feeling misunderstood and misrepresented by the media. I’ve tried to think through an equivalent headline about the minority group of which I’m a part. What if there were a headline reading “Latter-day Saints†with a photo of New Orleans football players? Or that same headline with a photo of another religion wherein the story talked about their “saintly ways†in these current (latter) days?
(p.s. the word 'saint' isn't owned by your group and its use by others isn't co-option/appropriation, but thanks for playing)

Oh, incidentally, she had heard of the term before, she just didn't think that it mattered.

I was fully aware that the phrase “women of color†normally refers to women of ethnic origin.

What bothers me most, though, isn't that she fucked up, it's that she was so indignant that anyone said "that speaks of some stupidity, huh?" In the comments of Bennet's response was a link to the joking response by "Act Classy": http://www.actclassy.com/2012/07/ready- ... ne-editor/

in which they mocked how blithely clueless the caption was. Bennet's response to that, in the comments, is that there's a bit more to the story than that. No, there isn't, you clueless idiot. A choice quote from her original response reads:

For those who assume I’m throwing my head back cackling with delight, you’d be wrong.
Nobody assumed that. They assumed you were utterly clueless. I have seen no responses like "she must be in the KKK." I have seen many that say "wow, she does not get it" The fact that you realised your mistake and fixed it does not change the initial clueless condition that caused the problem. And time after time, in your responses, you have shown how utterly clueless you are.

Surely I'm not the only one who sees the supreme irony of people using the "mentally ill" slur on this particular thread? One more time, I have a mental illness and I would never do something like this. A privileged unsympathetic person isn't automatically mentally ill.

Surely I'm not the only one who sees the supreme irony of people using the "mentally ill" slur on this particular thread? One more time, I have a mental illness and I would never do something like this. A privileged unsympathetic person isn't automatically mentally ill.

Mental illness is something people can't help having and is thrust upon them without their consent. Being willfully ignorant, and feeling that your ignorant worldview makes you superior to other humans is a choice and should be mocked without using the term "mentally ill".

Did someone say mentally ill or insane/crazy/etc?

This is clearly not mental illness, just run of the mill douchebaggery. What editor okayed this? I cannot wait for HuffPo to get a hold of it!

Did someone say mentally ill or insane/crazy/etc?

Why yes, as a matter of fact:

The real goldmine of interesting quotes is Brigham Young, who said he is infallible, that everything he writes should be considered scripture, that Adam was God and if white have sex with blacks God will strike them dead on the spot. Doesn't their religion believe that God is speaking and revealing directly to their prophet? If so, why do most of them say crazy and mentally ill shit?

Because they're mentally ill to believe that the lost tribes live in an air pocket in the Gulf of Mexico!

Wait, what? I'm a former Mormon and I currently live in the Jell-O Belt, and I've never, ever heard this one. Never. I'm thinking wherever you got that from, someone was either yanking your chain or mentally ill, no matter that they're Mormon.

Granted, I don't think anyone said that this particular woman was mentally ill. But yes, it did come up.

Lainey, I love you in a strictly platonic way. It's telling that this stereotype of violent crazy people is so ingrained in our culture that people can use it without even noticing it. When someone is called on it, they can choose to become defensive or they can realize their mistake and use it as an opportunity to become a better person. That choice says a lot about someone.

Thumbs up!

Lainey, I love you in a strictly platonic way.

Back atcha! ;)

I thought I'd heard it all. Jessica, you've blown my mind (here I thought I had exhausted the crazy theories). Meanwhile, the evidence points to the "lost tribes" melding with the two remaining tribes. Some say that the Ethiopian Jews (who practiced pre-Messianic Judaism that many say is the original Judaism) and a few other isolated Jew-like tribs in Africa are also lost tribes. They have the genetic markers unique to Jews and practice rituals that are very much like Judaism from 2000 years ago.

Mormonism has sent archaeologists out for decades to find evidence of Jews having come here 2k years ago and fighting some massive war. So far nada. The genetic markers that characterize Jews have not been found in a single bone in the many native American sites these guys have dug up. I'll give them credit for not faking any evidence at least. I think archaeologists have a high ethical standard (Even if the guy writing the check for their digs is a religious fanatic). Its perfectly possible that a few Jews or Middle Easterners or Europeans did end up in the ancient Americas. There are ancient writings regarding the wind patterns over the Atlantic. But, the idea that enough people came over here to populate wide swaths of this country, and fight a massive war is laughable. Not to mention the fact that they left NO evidence of this.

There are multiple cases of the church excommunicating archaeologists and other intellectuals because they are saying that there is no physical evidence to back up the churches "history" of the 12 tribes.

Mental illness is something people can't help having and is thrust upon them without their consent. Being willfully ignorant, and feeling that your ignorant worldview makes you superior to other humans is a choice and should be mocked without using the term "mentally ill".

*claps

Total approval, as a person who is in the eyes of the United States Government mentally ill, I apperciate this a lot.

Kinda OT: This one reminds me of a short-lived commercial (circa late '60s-early '70s) for a laundry aid (Clorox Two?) that used the tagline "Stark raving colored!" Enormous facepalm. The company changed it to "Stark raving color!", which was hardly any better. I cannot believe that an ad agency OR a national company was clueless enough to sign off on that campaign.

There are multiple cases of the church excommunicating archaeologists and other intellectuals because they are saying that there is no physical evidence to back up the churches "history" of the 12 tribes.

I read an article a while back about one of the LDS scientists who, with financial support of the church, was responsible for doing the DNA tests that would prove that fossils of Native Americans were related to various Middle Eastern groups as the Mormons claim. He was excommunicated when DNA proved the exact opposite.

When I saw the following exchange on FB, I thought of this thread. All of these kids are Mormons living far outside of Utah. The OP, in typical Mormon fashion, speaks out of both sides of her mouth; she thinks what her dad says is funny but when someone calls him out as racist, she agrees. (Then again, maybe she thinks it's totally cool to be racist???):

BTW, "Brett" is a totally smarmy, douchy-looking jerk, whose profile picture is one of him on his mission.

MormonTeens.jpg

Not nearly as nasty as what they did during the "Reformation" and "Blood Atonement" periods, the Mountain Meadow Massacre being just one example.

I'm sorry, but Mormons of Utah are utterly clueless. The live in their own little speshul snowflake (emphasis on the snow white) world of Mormon dominance, and really don't care what happens in the non-Mormon world unless they're forced to.

And as for Romney, let me get out the world's tiniest violin and play a song of sorrow for his rich, privileged, white male ass. :roll:

QFT.

When I saw the following exchange on FB, I thought of this thread. All of these kids are Mormons living far outside of Utah. The OP, in typical Mormon fashion, speaks out of both sides of her mouth; she thinks what her dad says is funny but when someone calls him out as racist, she agrees. (Then again, maybe she thinks it's totally cool to be racist???):

BTW, "Brett" is a totally smarmy, douchy-looking jerk, whose profile picture is one of him on his mission.

MormonTeens.jpg

Please submit that to Failbook so an even wider audience can rip apart her bigotry!

Archived