IGNORED

TX Rep - CO attacks result of attacks on Christian Belief

Alecto

From [link=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/louie-gohmert-aurora-shootings_n_1689099.html]The Huffington Post[/link]

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday that the shootings that took place in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater hours earlier were a result of "ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs" and questioned why nobody else in the theater had a gun to take down the shooter.

During a radio interview on The Heritage Foundation's "Istook Live!" show, Gohmert was asked why he believes such senseless acts of violence take place. Gohmert responded by talking about the weakening of Christian values in the country.

"You know what really gets me, as a Christian, is to see the ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs, and then some senseless crazy act of a derelict takes place," Gohmert said.

"Some of us happen to believe that when our founders talked about guarding our virtue and freedom, that that was important," he said. "Whether it's John Adams saying our Constitution was made only for moral and religious people ... Ben Franklin, only a virtuous people are capable of freedom, as nations become corrupt and vicious they have more need of masters. We have been at war with the very pillars, the very foundation of this country."

Ernest Istook, the host of the show and a former Oklahoma congressman, jumped in to clarify that nobody knows the motivation of the alleged Aurora gunman. Gohmert said that may be true, but suggested the shootings were still "a terrorist act" that could have been avoided if the country placed a higher value on God.

"People say ... where was God in all of this?" Gohmert said. "We've threatened high school graduation participations, if they use God's name, they're going to be jailed ... I mean that kind of stuff. Where was God? What have we done with God? We don't want him around. I kind of like his protective hand being present."

Gohmert also said the tragedy could have been lessened if someone else in the movie theater had been carrying a gun and took down the lone shooter. Istook noted that Colorado laws allow people to carry concealed guns.

"It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?" he asked.

Bullshit. So much bullshit.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From [link=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/louie-gohmert-aurora-shootings_n_1689099.html]The Huffington Post[/link]

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday that the shootings that took place in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater hours earlier were a result of "ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs" and questioned why nobody else in the theater had a gun to take down the shooter.

During a radio interview on The Heritage Foundation's "Istook Live!" show, Gohmert was asked why he believes such senseless acts of violence take place. Gohmert responded by talking about the weakening of Christian values in the country.

"You know what really gets me, as a Christian, is to see the ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs, and then some senseless crazy act of a derelict takes place," Gohmert said.

"Some of us happen to believe that when our founders talked about guarding our virtue and freedom, that that was important," he said. "Whether it's John Adams saying our Constitution was made only for moral and religious people ... Ben Franklin, only a virtuous people are capable of freedom, as nations become corrupt and vicious they have more need of masters. We have been at war with the very pillars, the very foundation of this country."

Ernest Istook, the host of the show and a former Oklahoma congressman, jumped in to clarify that nobody knows the motivation of the alleged Aurora gunman. Gohmert said that may be true, but suggested the shootings were still "a terrorist act" that could have been avoided if the country placed a higher value on God.

"People say ... where was God in all of this?" Gohmert said. "We've threatened high school graduation participations, if they use God's name, they're going to be jailed ... I mean that kind of stuff. Where was God? What have we done with God? We don't want him around. I kind of like his protective hand being present."

Gohmert also said the tragedy could have been lessened if someone else in the movie theater had been carrying a gun and took down the lone shooter. Istook noted that Colorado laws allow people to carry concealed guns.

"It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?" he asked.

So God punishes us by allowing mass shootings in retaliation for our keeping religion out of the public schools. FUCK, FUCK,FUCK, FUCK! I HATE THESE PEOPLE! Talk about descecrating the memory of the dead!

Mr. Gohmert, please hold still while I shake you in frustration. Do these people ever HEAR what's coming out of their mouths?

WTF. I don't even know how to respond to something like this. He killed a bunch of people because America is godless?! That's a very Falwell line of reasoning.

Oh fuck you Gohmert! Innocent people were hurt and killed. Children were hurt (not sure if any died). This has nothing to do with prayer not being allowed in school or some attack on Christianity, you jackass. With regard to the bolded, most people don't take guns to the fucking movie theater just in case someone decides to shoot up the place. Hell, my husband has a permit to carry and only does so rarely (such as when meeting a person to purchase something off of craigslist, especially if it is after dark or in a not so nice area). :angry-screaming:

Never miss an opportunity to desecrate the memory of the dead and rub salt in the wounds of the living. What an asshole.

I live about fifty miles from the Virginia Tech campus and watched that whole tragedy unfold on my local news station before the big networks picked the story up. People from the national right-wing and religious news media were saying the same stupid things then while the libral media was blaming it on people owning guns. None of them seemed to acknowledge it was the act of a lone mentally ill man and the real failure was in our mental health system, because it failed him bigtime. My favorite idiot quote though came from Rosie O'Donnell who suggested that the school should have had everyone congregate outside, um not the smartest thing to do when you have a shooter on a rampage, because having everyone standing close together in an open area makes the shooter's job way too easy. It pisses me off when people take advantage of a tragedy to further their political/religious agenda.

It astounds me that these jackasses take every tragic event as an open invitation to spew their bullshit. How about a little sympathy for the victims and their families. How about some consideration for a community in shock over what happened. These people are fucking vultures with no real concern for those who were harmed or lost their lives in these events all they see is an excuse to further their agenda. Who goes to a movie packing heat because they expect the place to get shot up anyways this guy is an absolute moron.

This makes me so angry I can't even think straight. This asshole has NO idea what the FUCK he is talking about. He's taking a tragedy and spinning it into another judgement from God. If this God he believes in turned his back on all those innocent people in the theater because they don't pray enough, fuck him. He isn't worth worship. If he let a three month old baby be hurt because we want separation of church and state, he's a sadistic, twisted God that I want nothing to do with. I dare this guy to talk to the victims and their families to their faces and say that they caused this. He wouldn't get out unscathed.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-screaming:

No end to the stupidity on that one.

I wondered when one of these idiots would grab a bible and slither out from under their rock to comment. Always klassy for an elected official to belittle the dead.

This makes me so angry I can't even think straight. This asshole has NO idea what the FUCK he is talking about. He's taking a tragedy and spinning it into another judgement from God. If this God he believes in turned his back on all those innocent people in the theater because they don't pray enough, fuck him. He isn't worth worship. If he let a three month old baby be hurt because we want separation of church and state, he's a sadistic, twisted God that I want nothing to do with. I dare this guy to talk to the victims and their families to their faces and say that they caused this. He wouldn't get out unscathed.

That. It amazes me that people like Louie Gohmert get elected!

WTF. I don't even know how to respond to something like this. He killed a bunch of people because America is godless?! That's a very Falwell line of reasoning.

Don't say that too loudly; he'll take it as a compliment, I'm sure.

So if there was a shootout and innocents were shot (big chance of that in a crowd) it all would be fine. Talk about wanting to be persecuted this is so far out of whack it would be funny if not so pathetic. pretty soon anything bad happening will be an attack on Christians. So what happens if it was a christian doing the killing???

Yes, well that's sooooo easy and convenient to say over the radio, huh? But would he have the balls to tell the parent of a dead/injured child, "Well, ma'am, you SHOULD have been carrying a gun. It's your fault. Maybe if you had one, your child wouldn't have been shot." So heartless and ignorant.

Also, let me just add. I'm a Christian. But I have the right mind to know that things like don't happen because there's seperation of church and state. Honestly, God could prolly care less if his name isn't verbally mentioned in a graduation ceremony. These things happen because we live on a earth that has mentally ill people. This will always be the case. We could all be Gothard followers, super Christian, and there will STILL be violence. It's human nature. So DON'T blame this on the victims.

This is what I don't get about these people: If God is omniscient and omnipotent, why does it matter whether people pray or invoke his name at a graduation ceremony (and what does that have to do with a movie theater shooting, anyway--but I digress) or not? You cannot "dismiss" an omniscient, omnipotent being just by "not wanting him around"--his "protective hand" ought to be present regardless.

These people act like God is a moody preteen who stomps off in a huff if not properly appeased. Why is their God so sad, tiny, and weak?

Quick! Before it's gone! :lol:

//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Gohmert

edit to break link

hahaha!!! Did you do that? :lol:

This is what I don't get about these people: If God is omniscient and omnipotent, why does it matter whether people pray or invoke his name at a graduation ceremony (and what does that have to do with a movie theater shooting, anyway--but I digress) or not? You cannot "dismiss" an omniscient, omnipotent being just by "not wanting him around"--his "protective hand" ought to be present regardless.

These people act like God is a moody preteen who stomps off in a huff if not properly appeased. Why is their God so sad, tiny, and weak?

I have heard similar arguments. Apparently, god is punishing us for taking prayer out of the public school and not acknowledging him in EVERY SINGLE thing we do. It's a crappy argument. I challenge anyone that makes that type of argument to tell me one period on history when bad things didn't happen because people worshipped their god.

hahaha!!! Did you do that? :lol:

I don't know what change you made, I think it got reverted...but then there was this:

In a 2012 meeting of the House Natural Resources Committee, Gohmert stated his strong support of a trans-Alaskan pipeline, as a means for caribou to have more sex.[6][7][8]

According to Gohmert, "When [the caribou] want to go on a date, they invite each other to head over to the pipeline. So [his] real concern now [is] … if oil stops running through the pipeline … do we need a study to see how adversely the caribou would be affected if that warm oil ever quit flowing?†Gohmert's comments were not favorably received by the rest of the committee; reportedly, Alaskan representative Don Young was forced to stifle his laughter in response.[9][10]

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

Archived