IGNORED

Modest Mom ,skirts and the gayz...

clibbyjo

Just another liberal feminist wearing an ankle-length skirt, cardigan, top with a modesty-preserving lace panel (don't tell the Rebellution!) and FLIP FLOPS. I've even been doing laundry all day, so I think I'm due some fundy points. Unfortunately, I will then have to hand them back, as I'm going out drinking with a man and talking about politics. Ah well, I'm sure I'll survive... :D

Edit: My soon-to-be-headship has pointed out that I am also wearing a gigantonormous GarlandsofGrace-style headband. Colour-coordinated with my outfit, of course.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In honor of modest mom and all her confused glory, I broke out the kilt today. Black kilt and Batman Teeshirt... yeup, that's how I roll.

In honor of modest mom and all her confused glory, I broke out the kilt today. Black kilt and Batman Teeshirt... yeup, that's how I roll.

Please take a pic (neck down to preserve your anon.)and post it to her blog. Or just post it for us, you know we love men in kilts. :clap:

Please take a pic (neck down to preserve your anon.)and post it to her blog. Or just post it for us, you know we love men in kilts. :clap:

If I had a camera I totally would. My digital bit the dust about 3 weeks ago (and I mean quite literally I dropped it in the dirt and it broke :( ) But once we get a new camera I'll redress and put up an anony pic for you to see.

Long black skirt, round-necked short-sleeved blue top, black and brown blazer, and sensible flat-heeled shoes. For my totally unfeminine wage-earning job.

BTW, go to Deva Lifewear for the best prices on long, voluminous skirts. This is my favorite company for causing cognitive dissonance because their clothes are modest and American made by people working at home . . . but the founders were a bunch of hippies whose premier product used to be known as "chakra pants" (trousers for people who find seams in the crotch area annoying).

Sola, we could almost be twins today! I'm wearing an ankle length skirt, a button up blouse over a couple of white t-shirts and a bright ass pink tichel (like you, to cover the unwashed hair). Let's infiltrate the fundies and pelt them with condoms! :lol:

We should. We can also throw birth control pills and leaflets for Planned Parenthood at them, while waving placards supporting Gay Marriage rights.

I really don't get what the big deal is with Christians and modesty. It's like 'Look how pious I am' - that's hardly modest. I prefer to dress modestly, and pants can be modest, because I want people to see me rather than cleavage with a voice. To me it's more about my dignity than anything else. As for the skirts/dresses-only-cos-the-bibble-sez-so brigade, I wonder how many them have actually looked into what men and women wore in the biblical era. Men didn't wear pants then, take a look at the middle east now and that will give you a bit of a clue as to what men wore. In any case you're hardly modest if you post pictures on your blog which scream LOOK HOW MODEST I AM !!ELEVENTY!!

What are those of us who are bi supposed to be wearing-- skirts over pants? Culottes?

Culottes were originally made for men, so there's no way a WOMAN should ever wear them!! HORROR!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culottes

"Culottes is a word that originated in French. Historically, "culottes" referred to the knee-breeches commonly worn by gentlemen of the European upper-classes from the late Middle Ages or Renaissance through the early nineteenth century. This style of tight pants ending just below the knee was first popularized in France during the reign of Henry III (1574–1589).[1] Culottes were normally closed and fastened about the leg, to the knee, by either buttons, a strap and buckle, or by a draw-string. During the French Revolution of 1789–1799, working-class revolutionaries were known as the "sans-culottes" – literally, "without culottes" – a name derived from their rejection of aristocratic apparel."

THESE are the most un-feminine looking things I have ever seen (You can also wear Culotte Slips in case your culottes are too scandalous.):

http://www.modestapparelusa.com/modest- ... ottes.html

:shock:

The only time I ever wear skirts or dresses, they are scandalously short. I just hate long skirts and dresses, I think they look weird. Not that it's a huge problem anyway because I mostly hate wearing skirts period. No one has ever confused me for a man. In fact, I'm sure it would be a bit of a nasty shock for the person I'm seeing to discover that I'm a man by virtue of wearing jeans.

THESE are the most un-feminine looking things I have ever seen (You can also wear Culotte Slips in case your culottes are too scandalous.):

Culotte slips are actually kinda nice. I have chubby thighs which get chaffed if I wear a skirt with nothing underneath, but leggings/tights are too hot for summer. I used to have a long culotte slip (knee lenth) which prevented chub rub, but was also nice and cool since it was loose. I wish i knew what happened to it.

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Sni ... ctTypeId=1

Following her logic Jesus was gay. Maybe the last supper was one big orgy since none of them wore pants.

:lol:

BTW, one more skirt-wearing lesbian here!

I wish Modest Mom would stop using the term “portray†when she really means “demonstrate.†For her to say she is portraying womanhood in her manner of dress merely means she is acting according a set piece rather than according to some natural inclination.

This term – and I’m pretty sure it’s a root for the word portrait, but I’m too lazy to look it up right now - is usually reserved for works of art or for dramatic acting on stage and screen; the portrayal - the mere depiction - by an actor of a character that does not exist off-set.

It irritates me, like a grain of sand in the eye, when I read sanctimonious fundie blogs where the authors – often homeschoolers who teach their children the same errors – are so sloppy in their use of language that they end up saying the opposite of what they mean.

And then there's this nonsense concerning how so many women are allegedly “confused†about their gender. I'm not sure how women can be charged with gender confusion while at the same time being accused of dressing immodestly with the specific aim of attracting men. ("Modest Mom" - it’s right there in her name, this belief that women who deck themselves out in clothing that too sharply reveals their womanhood are doing something wrong.)

[attachment=0]ziggy stardust.jpg[/attachment]

Not sure if it's a boy or a girl

Hot tramp, I love you so!

[

Hee! I have a mid-calf length wool skirt that has an inverted box pleat deep enough to resemble one of those, so they don't all look heinous to me. The "dazzle" ones, I think, are bizarre (let's take basketball jersey fabric and make a faux skirt out of it!), and I weep a little at the camo-print ones. On the other hand, I'm all for enabling girls to play kickball and whatnot, despite their parents' arbitrary rules about clothing.

So I'm as gay as humanly possibly and I wear skirts almost constantly. Usually flowery, feminine flowy kinds. I'd wear skirt everyday if I lived somewhere with a warmer climate. I also dress fairly conservatively because that's how I'm comfortable. Some days I can pass for a modern-modest fundie in my clothes.

Shouldn't my clothes have turned me straight by now ;) ?Skirts were not an effective protection against turning gay for me:D

Me either! I know, I tried. (Silly me). I wore skirts for 6 years, and I am still attracted to women. Especially red-headed firefighters. :)

I wish Modest Mom would stop using the term “portray†when she really means “demonstrate.†For her to say she is portraying womanhood in her manner of dress merely means she is acting according a set piece rather than according to some natural inclination.

It irritates me, like a grain of sand in the eye, when I read sanctimonious fundie blogs where the authors – often homeschoolers who teach their children the same errors – are so sloppy in their use of language that they end up saying the opposite of what they mean.

To me, it looks like a moment of unconscious honesty. There's nothing natural about priding oneself on how distinct one is from "manliness" in appearance or behavior. She's patting herself on the back for how well she meets cultural norms.

Kilts worn in the traditional style are completely immodest and utterly delightful :dance:

I just can't believe that anyone would think that clothing would make one gay or not.

[attachment=0]ziggy stardust.jpg[/attachment]

Not sure if it's a boy or a girl

Hot tramp, I love you so!

I love you. Bowie is my all time favourite.

Kilts worn in the traditional style are completely immodest and utterly delightful :dance:

I just can't believe that anyone would think that clothing would make one gay or not.

I was in town with a friend of mine the other day and there was a soldier from one of the Scots regiments playing the bagpipes and collecting money for Help the Heroes. My friend, knowing me far too well, grabbed my arm and steered me past him as she knew if she let go of me I'd be looking what was under his kilt :D

Culottes were originally made for men, so there's no way a WOMAN should ever wear them!! HORROR!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culottes

"Culottes is a word that originated in French. Historically, "culottes" referred to the knee-breeches commonly worn by gentlemen of the European upper-classes from the late Middle Ages or Renaissance through the early nineteenth century. This style of tight pants ending just below the knee was first popularized in France during the reign of Henry III (1574–1589).[1] Culottes were normally closed and fastened about the leg, to the knee, by either buttons, a strap and buckle, or by a draw-string. During the French Revolution of 1789–1799, working-class revolutionaries were known as the "sans-culottes" – literally, "without culottes" – a name derived from their rejection of aristocratic apparel."

In modern French "culotte" is how we name our undies :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is a very nice-looking lesbian couple in my neighborhood and while one of them looks more "masculine" with a bleached-blond "Justin Bieber" haircut and t-shirts and bermuda shorts, her partner looks about as feminine as you can get - she has long, layered hair and nearly always wears skirts or dresses (although they show off her figure, and are not dowdy frumper style dresses). I think it's funny that some people automatically assume that a "feminine" looking woman must be straight.

There is a very nice-looking lesbian couple in my neighborhood and while one of them looks more "masculine" with a bleached-blond "Justin Bieber" haircut and t-shirts and bermuda shorts, her partner looks about as feminine as you can get - she has long, layered hair and nearly always wears skirts or dresses (although they show off her figure, and are not dowdy frumper style dresses). I think it's funny that some people automatically assume that a "feminine" looking woman must be straight.

Or that if you loathe dresses, high heels and makeup, you must be gay. I haven't worn any of these things since the early 90s; just find them so much more troublesome than jeans and tennies and a fresh-scrubbed look.

Archived