IGNORED

The essential fallacy of Christian Patriarchy

Hane

I was sitting here on the couch, playing Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook, and it just hit me:

The essential fallacy of Christian Patriarchy is that the patriarchal movement claims to follow and worship the LEAST patriarchal figure in the entire Bible!

Jesus has virtually nothing to say about marriage, other than "Go and sin no more" to the adulterous woman and "In heaven, there will be no marrying or giving in marriage." About family life? He enjoins his disciples to leave their families and follow him. About children? He says, "Let the little children come to me, for such is the kingdom of heaven" and "It would be better for someone to put a millstone around his neck and plunge into the depths than to harm one of these." About women? He had platonic women friends, such as Mary and Martha.

Thoughts?

And he told Martha to stop doing all the housework and cooking and sit down with Mary for awhile.* Don't see too many fundie patriarchs suggesting that to their wives and daughters. :roll:

*although I always wondered why he didn't say to Mary, "Hey, let's both go help your sister finish that meal so we can all sit around and enjoy ourselves." ;)

I snorted when I read the title thread, I actually thought it should have been Phallusy if we were talking about patriarchy :mrgreen:

I think a lot of fundies conveniently forget a lot of Jesus's teachings and also important females in the bible, when claiming patriarchy is biblically the only way etc...

I snorted when I read the title thread, I actually thought it should have been Phallusy if we were talking about patriarchy :mrgreen:

I almost typed it "Phallacy"! Great minds!

That's because it's not based on Jesus, but on the Old Testament.

And Paul. A lot of modern Christianity doesn't seem to have any basis in what Jesus taught. Jesus saidthat the least on earth would be the most important in heaven. So, if a man is the head of the household, doesn't that mean that his wife will be above him in heaven?

When Jesus spoke to the woman at the well, he pointed out her many past husbands/lovers to prove that he was a prophet but he didn't tell her that she was living in sin.

For some reason, Jesus's very clear message to take care of the poor and vulnerable is very difficult for people to follow.

Yep, and he did not have a family of his own and was quite the rebel. No 19 children and counting for him...

And Paul. A lot of modern Christianity doesn't seem to have any basis in what Jesus taught. Jesus saidthat the least on earth would be the most important in heaven. So, if a man is the head of the household, doesn't that mean that his wife will be above him in heaven?

When Jesus spoke to the woman at the well, he pointed out her many past husbands/lovers to prove that he was a prophet but he didn't tell her that she was living in sin.

For some reason, Jesus's very clear message to take care of the poor and vulnerable is very difficult for people to follow.

That's why I hate Paul and Peter. IMHO; they were asshats; preaching the old testament but with the "As long as you believe Jesus was the Son of God you'll be accepted into Heaven! bait." Catholics and fundies seem to focus on what Paul and Peter preached and taught; not what Jesus preached and taught. IMHO; a truly Christlike person would take advice from the words of Christ; aka Jesus; and not Paul or Peter. That is why it's called CHRISTianity; and not Paultianity or Peterianity right?

I'd definitely say it's more OT than anything else. Even the generally patriarchal St. Paul only suggests marriage as an inferior state for people who are really horny and can't be celibate ("it is better to marry than to burn", etc.). Timothy's whole "women shall be saved through childbearing" thing is generally agreed to have been written about 200 years later, and so obviously not by St. Paul.

Ironically, the patriarchal fundy model has a lot in common with the ideal of the family in pagan Rome - particularly the explicit emphasis on the power of the father over every other member and even their hangers-on and the sort of attributes valued in a woman.

Ironically, the patriarchal fundy model has a lot in common with the ideal of the family in pagan Rome - particularly the explicit emphasis on the power of the father over every other member and even their hangers-on and the sort of attributes valued in a woman.

I think that it is ironic that fundies, who are often terrified enough of paganism to ignore Christmas and Halloween, would model such their family structure on pagan Rome.

And Dougie and his fanboys function on a social model straight from classical Greece.

And Dougie and his fanboys function on a social model straight from classical Greece.

OMG, this is perfect.

I couldn't see what was in that link (possibly because I don't have membership?), but is this what you were referring to?

iw263n.jpg

Archived