IGNORED

What Do You Think Of This? - Muslims

theologygeek

The Muslims had a festival in Michigan. The Christians walked through the festival carrying signs. The Muslims shouted and threw bottles of pee at the Christians. This part irritated me. The Christian guy said to the cop "The problem is, when you're not around, that's when they start throwing things." The cop replies "But part of the reason they throw things on someone is because you tell them stuff that enrages them." WTF? That's like a cop telling an abused wife that she deserved being abused because she said something to make her husband hit her. Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/tzVdOtF2g-U

http://youtu.be/tzVdOtF2g-U

Um, here's what I think of this: the subject line just about gave me a heart attack... wasn't that the exact subject title for AD's epic thread?

Um, here's what I think of this: the subject line just about gave me a heart attack... wasn't that the exact subject title for AD's epic thread?

Took the words right out of my mouth! :?

Obviously throwing things isn't a solution, and those who did should be held accountable. At the same time, however, I've no doubt that the protestors were there with malicious intent, hoping to 'stir the pot.' As far as I'm concerned, both groups are guilty of being douchenozzles.

well of course no one should be throwing stuff. But the Christians came there to harass them and there is nothing good about that. so both are in the wrong. but can you imagine if the Muslims did what teh Christians did? there would be blood flying.

It's sad Christians always feel so threatened that they can't stand anyone elses beliefs. The persecution complex at work again.

tzVdOtF2g-U

What is going on here exactly? Christians walked through the Muslim festivals with signs. Muslim people at the festival threw bottles, urine, and water on the Christian sign bearers. The police told the sign holders to leave because they could not spare enough police to protect them. The sign holders left and on their way out they got pulled over by a dozen police officers for no specified reason. And then Obama comes on and makes a speech about change? That last part was kind of random. Anyway, I'm not sure why the Christians with signs were told to leave or they would get arrested. From the video it didn't seem like they were disturbing the peace (which is what the officers were claiming). It seems the more pressing concern in this instance would be people throwing bottles and urine at other people. Was there something else going on there that the video leaves out?

Obviously throwing things isn't a solution, and those who did should be held accountable. At the same time, however, I've no doubt that the protestors were there with malicious intent, hoping to 'stir the pot.' As far as I'm concerned, both groups are guilty of being douchenozzles.

They were. I got into a huge "discussion" online recently with a few of a Christian acquaintance's *very* evangelical friends. They were there to disrupt the Muslims' celebration because, "as you know," (I was informed) Mohammad is a very violent, vengeful historical figure and all Muslims are here to carry out his will. The jihadists are just one very visible example. All Muslims are violent and evil. Therefore, they must be thwarted at every turn. My arguments that the historical Christian God was also very violent and not to be seen as an example of modern peaceful Christian behavior meant nothing to them. Apparently, modern Christians can pooh-pooh their historical (and sometimes recent) violent past and demand to be seen as peaceful and loving (while they picket and harass others), but do not have to afford others the same opportunity. That the Muslims threw disgusting things at them is certainly not to be excused, of course, and should not be allowed, but the sense I got from that discussion was that the Christians there thought they could harass the Muslims simply because they *were* Muslim (and at the Muslims' festival, no less), not just because they were protesting the Muslims' bad behavior in that instance.

First question: why do people even HAVE bottles of urine laying around to be thrown? I want to know WHY people are peeing in bottles here!

I don't think it is like a domestically abusive situation at all. What the policeman is referring to is provocation. These are not people just minding their own business, walking through a festival, and then someone goes "OMG, those aren't Muslims! Let's throw pee on them!!!". No, these are people who came out to a peaceful event WITH THE EXPRESS INTENT to disturb the event. It needs to be taken into account that the Christians, while not technically being the first ones to throw things, ARE the ones who are creating the issue. And yeah, provocation is legally recognized, though I don't know how much in MI.

This is not akin to an abusive situation. This is akin to a family reunion where the crazy uncle has too much to drink and starts calling the new niece-in-law a prostitution whore until her husband gets fed up and decks him. Should the husband have hit? No. But lets be honest, the uncle got what was coming to him.

If you don't act like a dick, people wont treat you like one. But if you act like a dick and someone reacts to that, deal with it. It's life.

**Disclaimer: I'm a Catholic, and our Churches commonly have festivals that are like this one. I would be SO FUCKIN MAD if an anti-Catholic group did that to one of ours.

Michigan has a huge population of Muslims in, iirc, Dearborn (someone once told me it was the greatest concentration of Arabic Muslims outside of the Middle East, though I don't know if that's true) If the Christian protestors were in Dearborn to start trouble at the Muslim festival, the police might have been more sympathetic to the Muslims than the shit-stirrers.

I've been to the annual Pride Parade they have in Michigan's capital and there were Christian protesters there. I've even had heated arguements with said protesters. I've got to be honest, if someone had started pelting those assholes at the Pride Parade... I wouldn't have joined in but I also, definitely, wouldn't be shedding any tears for them either.

ETA: I also don't think the domestic violence situation is a good comparison because of the difference in power dynamics. Christians are the absolute power majority in this country and Muslims are the new punching bags. If anything, this is like a situation where a verbally abused wife (the Muslims) finally gets pushed too far by her abusive husband (the Christians) and hits him.

I suspect there were Christian "plants" that started it all to make the Muslims look bad. I put nothing past those kind of Christians anymore, they are determined to turn this country into their theocracy.

Same here

As for the original post - I have a hard time believing the Christians weren't there to stir up trouble and then scream, "look at the violent Muslims persecuting us!"

Same here

As for the original post - I have a hard time believing the Christians weren't there to stir up trouble and then scream, "look at the violent Muslims persecuting us!"

Seems like a total non-coincidence this came so close to PP's "Viral" video.

What is going on here exactly? Christians walked through the Muslim festivals with signs. Muslim people at the festival threw bottles, urine, and water on the Christian sign bearers. The police told the sign holders to leave because they could not spare enough police to protect them. The sign holders left and on their way out they got pulled over by a dozen police officers for no specified reason. And then Obama comes on and makes a speech about change? That last part was kind of random. Anyway, I'm not sure why the Christians with signs were told to leave or they would get arrested. From the video it didn't seem like they were disturbing the peace (which is what the officers were claiming). It seems the more pressing concern in this instance would be people throwing bottles and urine at other people. Was there something else going on there that the video leaves out?

How on earth did you embed that video? LOL I'm not sure if there was anything missing, but I wondered the same thing you did.

I suspect there were Christian "plants" that started it all to make the Muslims look bad.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if this were true.

Should the husband have hit? No. But lets be honest, the uncle got what was coming to him.

If you don't act like a dick, people wont treat you like one. But if you act like a dick and someone reacts to that, deal with it. It's life.

**Disclaimer: I'm a Catholic, and our Churches commonly have festivals that are like this one. I would be SO FUCKIN MAD if an anti-Catholic group did that to one of ours.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. Who doesn't want to see Shirley Phelps or the PP get the shit kicked out of them? I do. I was at the 9/11 memorial with the kids one day. There was some radical group yelling the most hateful things into a microphone. I said to the cop "I want to kick him very hard." The cop said "So do I. But you'll get arrested and I'll get fired. Even if we don't like it, they have a right to protest." He was right. I agree that the Christians should not have intruded on the Muslim festival. But the ones who threw the bottles should have been arrested, and the cops should not have made excuses for them.

I wonder where the hell did this 'urine' come from or was it made up?

I know. Who pisses in a bottle and then throws it at folks. "He made me mad! So I threw urine on him!" Seriously??

I don't disagree with what you're saying. Who doesn't want to see Shirley Phelps or the PP get the shit kicked out of them? I do. I was at the 9/11 memorial with the kids one day. There was some radical group yelling the most hateful things into a microphone. I said to the cop "I want to kick him very hard." The cop said "So do I. But you'll get arrested and I'll get fired. Even if we don't like it, they have a right to protest." He was right. I agree that the Christians should not have intruded on the Muslim festival. But the ones who threw the bottles should have been arrested, and the cops should not have made excuses for them.

Yup! It ticks me off, and I *am* a Christian, that they showed up there. They were just being troublemakers and what did they expect? That being said, it's never ok to throw your bodily fluids on another person even if they are being a douchenozzle.

Do we know it was actually piss? Not gatorade or something?

Do we know it was actually piss? Not gatorade or something?

I doubt that anyone knows the answer to that except for the parties involved.

Oh, yeah, these guys. The ones who came to an Arab street festival and ignored the cordoned-off free-speech zones so they could walk around with a PIG'S HEAD ON A SPIKE. REALLY. THEY HAD A DEAD PIG'S SEVERED HEAD ON A SPIKE THAT THEY SHOOK AT TEENAGERS. While VERBALLY ABUSING THEM.

Fuck these guys.

Oh, yeah, these guys. The ones who came to an Arab street festival and ignored the cordoned-off free-speech zones so they could walk around with a PIG'S HEAD ON A SPIKE. REALLY. THEY HAD A DEAD PIG'S SEVERED HEAD ON A SPIKE THAT THEY SHOOK AT TEENAGERS. While VERBALLY ABUSING THEM.

Fuck these guys.

Geez! What did they EXPECT! For them to say "I'm saved! I throw away my heathen ways!" I don't get people sometimes.

Archived