IGNORED

What Do You Think Of This? - Muslims

theologygeek

I'm antifa. That means I believe in *physical* confrontations with fascists who dare to demonstrate on our streets. I've charged three lines of police to get at the fash (well attempted to, I was caught in a headlock and rugby tackled to the ground ;) did pass two lines though)

I hate fascists and I don't want them here, and I don't care how they find that out. They are NOT demonstrating on our streets without physical opposition. They're scum.

Why tell you that? To illustrate that no demonstrator can expect to face no opposition. The "Christians" in the video went there to provoke the Muslims. Unsurprisingly, provoking people leads to, um, a robust exchange of views. You know that before you go.

The "Christians" were there to wind people up, not convert. Look at the signs. "Proud to be an infidel"? I've been on demos where we have had...issues...with the police, so it amused me that the "Christians" were OUTRAGED OUTRAGED I TELL YOU that the coppers didn't want to spare a few of their officers to protect good upstanding Christian citizens evangelising Muslims. They obviously had one view of how the world should work, and it didn't involve the police not doing what you tell them. Welcome to my world, and I have far worse stories than "we went to a Muslim festival with signs telling them they were a bunch of wankers and got in a wee bittie trouble".

I think the "christians" got exactly what they wanted. They went to a Muslim festival, being held in the city with the highest muslim population outside of the middle east, and made a big deal about how these people are bad and they should go home and bull bull bull. They incited a reaction and BOOM! they're the victims. Typical so called christian. What do I think of this? I think it's disgusting. I think it's absolutely disgusting that people who pretend to believe in the bible and pretend to love Jesus pervert what could be something beautiful and make it out to be this hellish, hate-fill piece of shit. These people know nothing - NOTHING - about Islam at all. I know more about Islam than a majority of people in this "christian" country and I was raised Catholic by a woman who says "I don't want to read. Well I don't want to know what it says" about the Koran, because she's so damn righteous. Ugh.

The Koran specifically states to respect the people of the book, meaning Jews and Christians. But do Christians get that? Do you even care? NO! Because they don't want to.

And what is with this "Muhammad was violent" and "Muhammad was a child rapist". So let me get this straight, the god who KILLED THE ENTIRE PLANET WITH A FLOOD wasn't violent. The god who routinely killed children and women and men of neighbouring tribes wasn't violent. The god who accepted human sacrifice in exchange for winning a battle wasn't violent. Okay, sure, Muhammad married his cousin when she was 13 or 14. They seem to forget that Mary - ya know, the MOTHER OF JESUS - was pregnant at 14. They also seem to forget that in biblical times, it wasn't terribly uncommon to have children at that age.

"Christians" and their lack of respect for and ignorance of Islam - all while demanding everyone else respect them - is so fucking absurd. "Christians" are the most self righteous assholes on the planet.

ETA: I recall the first episode of American Muslim where the girl is talking about how people tell her to go home and she says "I don't know where I'm supposed to go. I was born here. I'm an American." and laughs it off. She seemed like one of the coolest people. I think she married a christian. I wonder what he thought of all this and if he was as embarrassed as I would have been.

Sounds like both sides fulfilled their respective stereotypes admirably. They're all arrogant idiots.

If you break into someones house and their dog attacks you, whose fault is it? Yours for breaking in. Same thing, not comparable to domestic violence at all.

To my knowledge, the festival is a carnival-type atmosphere that occurs every year, and protestors/screaming preachers are also there every year. This has been going on a long time. There's an infamous crazy guy around Dearborn who also shows up to pretty much every public place to yell Bible verses at everyone; he showed up at the community college campus one day in the rain, and I really wanted to skip my class just to sit back and observe since that was the one and only time I've ever seen a street preacher. Eventually there were about 20 kids surrounding him; they just had a conversation with him, and I don't think there was any anger there. They were just talking to each other. So, while I don't condone throwing things or any kind of aggressive behavior, I do understand their perspective. It's a very family-friendly environment at the festival; there are tons of little kids everywhere, and while the protestors may have been peaceful in that video, I do know that in past years there was more harassment and yelling than just holding up signs. Also, I don't remember the video, but aren't a lot of the people reacting teenagers? Kids, you know, at their sometimes most obnoxious phase. I think, when I was a teenager, if anyone showed up at our local cheesy parking lot festival in the summer protesting us, it wouldn't have been met with grace, either.

If you break into someones house and their dog attacks you, whose fault is it? Yours for breaking in. Same thing, not comparable to domestic violence at all.

Muslims are as responsible for their actions as dogs? Being obnoxious is the same as (what is, in a dog's mind) a legitimate threat to the family? Really?

is this the same Michigan fest where Christian protesters stood outside with a pig's head on a stick?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/06/17/c ... -michigan/

According to the Detroit Free Press, several Christian missionaries protested the Arab International Festival, shouting at attendees and holding signs which read, “Islam is a religion of blood and murder†and â€Muhammad is a … liar, false prophet, murderer, child molesting pervert.†One missionary also carried a pig’s head on a staff—an antagonistic gesture because Muslims do not eat pork.

How on earth did you embed that video? LOL I'm not sure if there was anything missing, but I wondered the same thing you did.

You just put the last part of the YouTube link (this part: tzVdOtF2g-U ) in between the YouTube tags and... voila!

You just put the last part of the YouTube link (this part: tzVdOtF2g-U ) in between the YouTube tags and... voila!

Well I'll be. lol Thank you.

I think these so called Christians are taking a page from Fred Phelps book of how to get their names in the press.

I have no sympathy whatsoever with the Christians trying to prosyletize during the festival. If they wanted protection, they should have stayed on the peripherial sidewalks or just stayed home. But those options don't get you much exposure for those you're trying to save. It's not called persecution if you're being stupid and choosing to risk limb or life walking through the festival grounds.

It's hilarious how the group of Christians think that the police would automatically side with them in protecting them in the festival claiming that the festival was held on public grounds. They choose to walk through the festival, begging for touble and call their outcome "persecution" They don't understand that they are provoking the crowd with their signs and clothes that contain scripture in Hebrew (not just throwing stuff back at their audience) and they are vastly outnumbered in a city known for its Muslim population. You can't be expected to be protected if you'll be provoking people in grounds reserved for a festival (even if it's public space any other day).

I"m not giving the festival goers a free pass either. Most of the people hurling stuff and shouting slurs were kids. Kids are stupid and they do stupid things. They might meet Christians someday who really reflect Christ's true teachings and demeanor and might change their minds about most Christians. From what I can tell, I couldn't see any real adults among the crowd, uless they were just walking around.

These videos remind me of volunteering at the Twin Cities Pride Fest. I don't know if there were protesters around for the parade, but my sister was surprised on how peaceful the whole event went with there being no protestors or other harassers in sight. I told her that the city probably put out an order saying that participants be left alone or be faced with a huge fine. There were thousands of people milling around in a public park that weekend and the police will want to take whatever precautions necessary to prevent the events in the video from happening in the first place. Granted that the twin cities are a pretty awesome place for the LGBT community, I can imagine some country bumpkins or some church coming to stage something and thank god that didn't happen. Chaos is the last thing people want in a festival and I wish that the Christians in Dearborn would understand what the police were doing were for their own good and the good of others.

Chaos is the last thing people want in a festival and I wish that the Christians in Dearborn would understand what the police were doing were for their own good and the good of others.

These particular asshats don't live in Dearborn, nor in Michigan. They're part of the Official Street Preachers, a bunch of asshat "christians" that go around with big banners on poles telling everyone they're going to hell. They usually make a practice of showing up at Gay Pride marches around the country. (They showed up here in Phoenix this year and were basically broken up by an organized flash mob performing "Born This Way.")

This is a link to an article with pictures about the pig's head they showed up with (warning, dead pig on pole):

http://www.dearbornfreepress.com/2012/0 ... d-on-pole/

I find it highly ironic and offensive these guys would wear a t-shirt with Jesus' name on it and Hebrew, and be toting around a pig's head. I'm also getting a "Lord of the Flies" vibe, dating back to high school, when we had to read that book.

These particular asshats don't live in Dearborn, nor in Michigan. They're part of the Official Street Preachers, a bunch of asshat "christians" that go around with big banners on poles telling everyone they're going to hell. They usually make a practice of showing up at Gay Pride marches around the country. (They showed up here in Phoenix this year and were basically broken up by an organized flash mob performing "Born This Way.")

This is a link to an article with pictures about the pig's head they showed up with (warning, dead pig on pole):

http://www.dearbornfreepress.com/2012/0 ... d-on-pole/

I find it highly ironic and offensive these guys would wear a t-shirt with Jesus' name on it and Hebrew, and be toting around a pig's head. I'm also getting a "Lord of the Flies" vibe, dating back to high school, when we had to read that book.

I'm not surprised that the group is not from Dearborn or even Michigan. I think the username of the user who uploaded the video was something like "AustralianNeoCons". It's very easy for Christians to criticize the fact that so many Muslims live there, like looking at a goldfish in a bowl. I still remember people in my church and even Christian shows critizing why so many Muslims would be living in the United States, even though it's only one city. I don't get why all the Abrahamic religions can't get along based on their common religious father; the history, behavior, stereotypes of one another since then probably rule out peace any time soon. That's sad because "All American Muslim" was a great show that shed light on average Muslims living in the United States. Muslims are some of the nicest people I've gotten to know during college and afterwards.

As for the Hebrew shirts and the pig's head thing, I find it ironic that they aren't shunning the pigs' head themselves since pork and other pig flesh was forbidden in the Bible. I guess they don't really read it as much as they would like to think...

I'm not surprised that the group is not from Dearborn or even Michigan. I think the username of the user who uploaded the video was something like "AustralianNeoCons". It's very easy for Christians to criticize the fact that so many Muslims live there, like looking at a goldfish in a bowl. I still remember people in my church and even Christian shows critizing why so many Muslims would be living in the United States, even though it's only one city. I don't get why all the Abrahamic religions can't get along based on their common religious father; the history, behavior, stereotypes of one another since then probably rule out peace any time soon. That's sad because "All American Muslim" was a great show that shed light on average Muslims living in the United States. Muslims are some of the nicest people I've gotten to know during college and afterwards.

As for the Hebrew shirts and the pig's head thing, I find it ironic that they aren't shunning the pigs' head themselves since pork and other pig flesh was forbidden in the Bible. I guess they don't really read it as much as they would like to think...

Another thread was/is talking about siblings fights. (I think one about Lori) When I think about this, is seems like the ultimate sibling fight. "Well I'm entitled to father's stuff because I'm the eldest" "Well I'm entitled because I'm the legitimate one". Thats pretty much what this all boils down to: two brothers (and now their descendants) fighting over who's the favourite, more entitled child. It's really all quite juvenile and immature.

Archived