IGNORED

Bates Family Part 8

Coconut Flan

Doesn't Gil preach at his pop-up church at a Holiday Inn?  If that's the case, I can see the kids getting married shopping around for a church (since a Holiday Inn does  not exactly scream 'religious wedding.")

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the norm for religious weddings to be preformed in churches/houses of worship and civil/secular weddings to be performed in other venues (outdoor, hotels, etc)?  I know that you can't have a Catholic ceremony outside of the Catholic church, but I'm not sure about other forms of Christianity (or other religions).  

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

it will be interesting to see how far Lawson's single goes up the charts.  Anyone know a rough estimate of how much an artist gets out of a 99 cent single?  

Of course we have no idea how much he had to pay the recording studio & backup musicians. Or if UP network chipped in at all.

Based on the Instagram comments, I assume that there are a lot of fangirls out there throwing their contact information at him. Wonder how Gil and Kelly control that?

It costs A LOT to master a professional quality single.  5 grand for a track is cheap.  He'd have to sell 20K on itunes to break even.  And that's assuming he is an independent artist AND registered as a distributor and is getting that portion of the cut.  Selling records is a losing game for artists.  Most with a recording contract get like ten cents out of that 99 cent download, and that is AFTER their record company recoups recording costs!  Artists do not make money off recordings.  I've had to turn so many artists wanting to sue record companies away.  They sign terrible deals and NEVER get paid from recording.  Artists make money from PERFORMING.  

11 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I watched the rerun, thinking I'd try to keep track of the number of times Gil said he wanted to cry, was going to cry, was about to cry, etc.  Lost count though.  Such a sensitive man.

Hey Gil - when you heard the accusations of all those young women against Gothard...did you cry?

He did probably cry when he thought of how they could get all the IBLP money if the lawsuit is successful.

So Jill Rod didn't make it on to television? I know she is SEVERELY disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Doesn't Gil preach at his pop-up church at a Holiday Inn?  If that's the case, I can see the kids getting married shopping around for a church (since a Holiday Inn does  not exactly scream 'religious wedding.")

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the norm for religious weddings to be preformed in churches/houses of worship and civil/secular weddings to be performed in other venues (outdoor, hotels, etc)?  I know that you can't have a Catholic ceremony outside of the Catholic church, but I'm not sure about other forms of Christianity (or other religions).  

I think this varies greatly among protestants. My church allows weddings in other places but they would probably kindly suggest a church if one of ours was close by. I think that individual ministers have the right to say no to a wedding so I assume that if one of the ministers felt very strongly that a marriage should happen in a church that he/she could say no. 

5 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I've seen both secular couples and non-Catholic Christians have outdoor ceremonies. At least two of the married Botkin brothers had their weddings outside a church. I'm guessing it's more of a space issue. I was just thinking a perfect location for Michael's wedding would've been the Museum of Appalachia. The Bates always seem to visit it and the museum's outdoor area would've worked well with Michael's theme. Maybe Gil (or UP) didn't want to pay the extra money for a more secular venue?

Lots of protestant Christians have religious ceremonies outside/not in a church. I would personally choose to get married in a church, but that's because I'd like a traditional ceremony and I'm paranoid about bad weather, not because I think it's necessary.

2 minutes ago, MissBitters said:

The Bates always seem to visit it and the museum's outdoor area would've worked well with Michael's theme. Maybe Gil (or UP) didn't want to pay the extra money for a more secular venue?

They may have worried about the possibility of bad weather and decided going indoor is a lot easy from the get go than informing your 1000s of guest of a last minute venue change

I'm watching it off the DVR now. Jana and Joy Anna were at the nail salon. And I think I see duggar boys in the background at the rehearsal.  

I just saw Derrick Dillard and his brother with some duggars at the rehearsal. 

I have a fairly fundie (grew up in ATI) friend who got married outside. I have several other fundie-lite friends who had outdoor weddings as well.

:hello:

"I Wanna Front Hug Like an Animal" should be a post count!

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the current country charts on iTunes.  Lawson is #47.  His album has 22 reviews.  I thought I'd compare that with another relatively up and coming country act, so I focused on Old Dominion.   In comparison, Old Dominion's song "Snapback" (which is actually... ahem... good) is at number 16.  I think that song is their second or third release from their current CD which has 173 reviews compared to Lawson's 22.  Old Dominion has been working the circuit hard for at least a year and a half and has a lot of money behind them.  So, the fact that Lawson is on the chart, and almost in the top 40 at all, speaks volumes.  HIs song is obviously doing well, riding on the coattails of BUB and UpTV promotion, so good for him.  I hope he does well.  There is certainly a decent living to be made in Christian music ministry, if you can stomach the politics, and there are decent jobs to be had in music ministry for mega churches.  (I actually dated a Berklee educated musician/singer/songwriter for a while, and he worked in music ministry for years to pay the bills, even though he is pretty much agnostic.)  The problem is, the followings and fandoms don't last, so he really would have to jump on his current popularity (such that it is) and promote himself through touring and performing in order to get anywhere with this.  For now, I'd say that his music is little more than a vanity project if he is not using his recordings to promote himself and book gigs.  (Not that I am an expert.  I have just enough music insider knowledge to sound like an idiot.)

My problem with Lawson's "music career" is that he seems to rarely perform. [And if he is performing, but not advertising it on social media--he's an idiot] People who really want to have a music career perform any chance they can get. How often does he perform--once a month (not counting at church)? He doesn't seem to have any interest in teaching music,  or being in musical theater, or performing in weddings of non-relatives, or taking a music related job (there are a few music theaters  in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, for example)

Yes, its a vanity project. And I predict the leg humpers will finish downloading his new song in a few days and he will slip down several notches down the charts by next week.

Yep. exactly.  If he's not gigging, he isn't serious about succeeding.  

And there could be a good reason he isn't gigging.  He's not exactly the best singer out there.  

1 hour ago, OnceUponATime said:

They may have worried about the possibility of bad weather and decided going indoor is a lot easy from the get go than informing your 1000s of guest of a last minute venue change

A few episodes ago Kelly's sister got married in what appeared to be a religious ceremony and one that was outdoors, and of course it rained.  It's a lot easier to amass an army of volunteers to set up a venue for hundreds of guests indoors a few days before a wedding than setting one up outdoors the day before or day of.  Also, she was married in August which can be brutal in the South, so holding a wedding, especially when nearly all of the wedding party are wearing layers and long sleeves, made sense.

I was married in August years ago in the Midwest and the church wasn't air conditioned but  the hotel where we had our reception of course was.  Fortunately it wasn't a brutally hot and humid day, but it could have been - in fact it started thundering and pouring just as we got to the reception.  Our Protestant minister would have married us at our hotel if we had chosen to do an outdoor ceremony there on a patio, but considering the potential weather we decided not to.   It also was because we had attended a small outdoor wedding at an inn in June the previous year.  It was so hot and sunny that day, the metal folding chairs set out for the ceremony were literally burning hot, and the inn had to put placemats on the chairs just so we could sit down.  That sort of cemented our desire to get married indoors in comfort.

Someone I went to high school with has a son who is a professional Christian instrumental musician who travels from church to church and conference to conference playing contemporary Christian music, mostly in the south.  He is a promotional machine and uses social media to promote himself and his recordings.  I wouldn't be surprised if he and Lawson had worked with some of the same musicians at some point as a lot of Christian musicians travel in the same circles - just look at the reach that Amy Grant and her now-husband Vince Gill have had and everyone they've been associated with between the contemporary Christian, pop, and country worlds.  I think the hardest part of being a Christian musician (which Amy Grant was subjected to after her divorce and she was not allowed to be part of the Billy Graham crusades anymore) is that while you may be a very gifted musician, your personal life and your testimony and beliefs are often more important than your music, and are the ticket to success.  I could never handle being under that much scrutiny, but then again I would never be the poster child for Jesus. :)

16 minutes ago, Snarkle said:

Someone I went to high school with has a son who is a professional Christian instrumental musician who travels from church to church and conference to conference playing contemporary Christian music, mostly in the south.  He is a promotional machine and uses social media to promote himself and his recordings.  I wouldn't be surprised if he and Lawson had worked with some of the same musicians at some point as a lot of Christian musicians travel in the same circles - just look at the reach that Amy Grant and her now-husband Vince Gill have had and everyone they've been associated with between the contemporary Christian, pop, and country worlds.  I think the hardest part of being a Christian musician (which Amy Grant was subjected to after her divorce and she was not allowed to be part of the Billy Graham crusades anymore) is that while you may be a very gifted musician, your personal life and your testimony and beliefs are often more important than your music, and are the ticket to success.  I could never handle being under that much scrutiny, but then again I would never be the poster child for Jesus. :)

Amen. No pun intended.

And actually, the personal life under potential scrutiny thing isn't exclusive to Christian music. The Jewish liturgist and songwriter Debbie Friedman (if you've been to an American Reform, Conservative, or Modern Orthodox service, you've probably heard at least a couple of her songs and arrangements) was gay, but did not discuss her sexuality publicly because even though the Reform types (generally quite liberal) wouldn't care at all, she did get a lot of her bread and butter from more conservative branches of the faith.

And now I have Miriam's Song stuck in my head.

3 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Gil currently preaches at a local Junior Achievement's BizTown location.  I used to work with JA around the time they were rolling these out and basically local chapters have these places where kids can go to do a simulation of what it's like to be an adult with a budget.  Local businesses pay for "stores" where kids can bank, buy things like popcorn, and more.  It's pretty cool.  But definitely NOT a place you'd want to get married.  It's only used on weekdays for field trips usually, so they probably rent it out on Sundays to Gil and his followers.  A "real" church is a much better bet for a fundie royalty wedding!  And here's more about where they meet, for those who are curious...

knoxnews.com/news/local/students-try-out-real-world-ep-410774185-359712631.html

3 hours ago, socalrules said:

I get the church thing. Nearly every wedding I have been to has been in a church but most of those weddings were for regular churchgoers who wanted to be married in their church.  I would not be married outside the church because I have always wanted to be married in church. I would rather change my decor to fit the church than find a location outside of a church just to fit the decor.  For some, it is just important to be married in the church. I just have never understood the whole church shopping for a venue. It just screams that your church is good enough for pretty wedding pictures but not good enough to regularly attend. 

Of importance: for people who are so religious, you'd think that they would be connected to A church and A congregation, and therefore, they would all get married in THAT church. I know many people venue shop, but I think those tend to be people who do not fly a religious flag at every opportunity possible.

Now maybe this is the Catholic (at least at some point) in me speaking out.

Part of religion is about coming together and being part of a community.

If you're not religious and just venue shopping, that's a different issue.

Where do these people worship and why are the weddings not held in those places????

From what are you saying about weddings it seems catholic church its diferent here in spain, because here its very common for couples to choose a diferent church than their parish for the wedding, there are some that are so popular(usually the most beautiful and old churches)that you have to wait years to get married there. Also i have never seen a religious wedding outside the church building, here the church doesnt allow it.  Civil weddings on the outside arent possible either, they have to be done on the council or court. So since lately more people is wanting to get married on the beach or the country or whatever(thanks to romantic movies) what they do is going first to sign the papers on the official wedding and then they do a "fake" wedding with the guests and all that.

5 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Here are Brandon's parents.  For more pictures from the wedding you can go to http://duggars.tumblr.com/ or http://bates-family-photos.tumblr.com/bates-304-gallery-7.jpg

This is the first time I've seen Brandon's mother and it's mostly a side view, but  she has Michelle beat in the wedding clothes battle. Tasteful, it fits,  can't see the shoes but the length of the skirt makes them unimportant. She even seems a better fit with her husband.

I felt sorry for Alyssa and how she was treated when she arrived.  What they showed was Gil not recognizing her and he didn't even greet John until after he had ribbed Alyssa about her hair.  When he did greet John,  he didn't even give him a hug ... side hug or bro hug ...   just an awkward handshake. Seemed like some tension there. 

I pray that this scene was recreated and not really now Gil welcomed his daughter and SIL.   I hope Gil really greeted Alyssa and John warmly with hugs and then had some kisses and tickles for Allie Jane too. 

Periodically I become signed out on all of my devices at once. Then it becomes a question of what is the most compelling reason to log back in. Celebrity crushes. I liked Leo when he popped up at the end of Growing Pains. It's especially nice to have him there now, in light of what's become of Mr. Cameron. *shudder*  And, 41 stops being old when you realize that technically you could have been in high school at the same time. (I just had this exact conversation with a guy I've started to see. I was in 8th grade when he graduated, but close enough) *resigned sigh*

Oh Paul Rudd. And John Cusack. And Christian Slater (he hasn't aged so well). And River Phoenix. And Winona Ryder. I just wanted to be her. And Patrick Stewart. Those were my early ones.

3 hours ago, Diana said:

From what are you saying about weddings it seems catholic church its diferent here in spain, because here its very common for couples to choose a diferent church than their parish for the wedding, there are some that are so popular(usually the most beautiful and old churches)that you have to wait years to get married there. Also i have never seen a religious wedding outside the church building, here the church doesnt allow it.  Civil weddings on the outside arent possible either, they have to be done on the council or court. So since lately more people is wanting to get married on the beach or the country or whatever(thanks to romantic movies) what they do is going first to sign the papers on the official wedding and then they do a "fake" wedding with the guests and all that.

From my experience, those who are connected to a parish, usually marry in that church. Sometimes, they might wander to another church if that church has special meaning. For example, my SIL was married in the same church where her ILs were married, and not her parish church.  Also, sometimes church availability necessitates moving to a different venue.

I finally finished the episode. I saw Bin and Jenny\Jordan a couple times as well as JoyAnna and of course plenty of Jana. Michael was irritating me by the end but if I was raised in that environment and I spent 5yrs dreaming about kissing my first crush I'd probably be saccharine and giddy at the thought of finally getting married.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived