IGNORED

Jihadi John targeted in drone strikes

Whoosh

The preliminary report I just heard is that Jihadi John was killed, but it was a bit unclear. A Pentagon spokesman reportedly said they wanted to send a message that actions have consequences. I can totally get behind that and do hope they got the target with no or at least minimal collateral damage. I was curious to hear thoughts from FJ.   I am on my phone and have few phone skills, but I am including a CNN article  

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/13/middleeast/jihadi-john-airstrike-target/

There was someone from the FBI or CIA or something on the Today Show. He explained that they don't know if Jihadi John was killed yet - what they usually do is go radio silent and just listen to see what they can find out.

This guy sounds like an asshole of titanic proportions and he needs to be taken out - but I do really honestly hope no innocent civilians were harmed or killed as a result of the strikes.

If he is dead (sorry not sorry), do I think it will make a difference? No. Cut off one head of the Hydra, two grow back in its place. Much like Vietnam, this is a different kind of warfare and a different kind of enemy.

While I agree that air strikes against terrorists fall under self-defense, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are without risk to civilians.

I learned about little Marya's story when we did a fundraiser for Alyn Hospital: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/world/middleeast/31children.html?_r=0

These are not easy decisions.  The only thing that is clear is the tremendous human toll of the conflict (which, despite the obvious failings of the Syrian and Iraqi governments, is clearly being waged by ISIS for evil purposes, by evil means.)

There was someone from the FBI or CIA or something on the Today Show. He explained that they don't know if Jihadi John was killed yet - what they usually do is go radio silent and just listen to see what they can find out.

This guy sounds like an asshole of titanic proportions and he needs to be taken out - but I do really honestly hope no innocent civilians were harmed or killed as a result of the strikes.

You are referring to Jeremy Bash who was brought in as an expert as he was a previously the Chief of Staff at the DoD and CIA. Not that what he said isn't valid or insightful. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-uncovered/jihadi-john-airstrike-incinerated-two-people-u-s-official-n462716

COL Warren spoke about the drone strike, which was a "routine" drone strike. Of course we hope innocent civilians were harmed in anyway because of the strikes. 

Mohammed Emwazi (Jihadi John) is propaganda for ISIS. We have know he is an asshole for awhile now. 

You are referring to Jeremy Bash who was brought in as an expert as he was a previously the Chief of Staff at the DoD and CIA. Not that what he said isn't valid or insightful. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-uncovered/jihadi-john-airstrike-incinerated-two-people-u-s-official-n462716

COL Warren spoke about the drone strike, which was a "routine" drone strike. Of course we hope innocent civilians were harmed in anyway because of the strikes. 

Mohammed Emwazi (Jihadi John) is propaganda for ISIS. We have know he is an asshole for awhile now. 

Thanks! I was running around trying to get ready for work and only caught about half of what was being said. I knew he worked for the Government, just couldn't remember his name or the Agency he worked for.

I'm really torn on this use of drones to be honest. On the one hand, I hate the idea that innocent people get hurt or killed because of a mistake. On the other hand, I don't want to see our troops being put in harm's way either. There doesn't seem to be a good solution, but I guess that's to be expected during war.

He was a vicious human being and a psychotic killer but he was not a key ISIL operative.  So, even if he was killed, this is little better than a propaganda move. 

Stay braced for reprisals.

Picking off individuals with drones (and drones haven't proven terribly reliable in avoiding civilian deaths) isn't a good long term strategy.

He was a vicious human being and a psychotic killer but he was not a key ISIL operative.  So, even if he was killed, this is little better than a propaganda move. 

Picking off individuals with drones (and drones haven't proven terribly reliable in avoiding civilian deaths) isn't a good long term strategy.

ISIS is going to kill innocent people regardless. Drone strikes have killed higher level operatives, people simply don't pay attention to that. I don't think NOT killing Jihad John is the better answer...but I am not an expert in Military Strategy. Apparently they felt it was worthwhile. Also, more drone strikes have happened under Obama than anyone else....

Does anyone have any sort of idea about ISIS' organizational structure? It seems to be a bit of a mystery, no surprise, since it's probably impossible to get a mole in there. Jihad John was probably good for media purposes, because his English was so good, but at the end of the day, his only significance was that he "fit the suit" ISIS needed for its media rep. There will probably be a new Jihad John doing the exact same thing by the end of the week.

ISIS is going to kill innocent people regardless. Drone strikes have killed higher level operatives, people simply don't pay attention to that. I don't think NOT killing Jihad John is the better answer...but I am not an expert in Military Strategy. Apparently they felt it was worthwhile. Also, more drone strikes have happened under Obama than anyone else....

One of the main problem with those drone strikes, along with the fact that people get just killed without even getting a trial, is that they also kill a lot of innocent people. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/24/-sp-us-drone-strikes-kill-1147

I'm not even against killing a known terrorist, even without a trial, I'm pragmatic like that. But the fact that innocents get killed is simply unacceptable. The worth of the life of a person isn't less just because someone happens to live in, for example, Asia instead of North America. Imagine the outrage if uninvolved people in the US were just randomly killed by another nations "war against terror".

One of the main problem with those drone strikes, along with the fact that people get just killed without even getting a trial, is that they also kill a lot of innocent people. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/24/-sp-us-drone-strikes-kill-1147

I'm not even against killing a known terrorist, even without a trial, I'm pragmatic like that. But the fact that innocents get killed is simply unacceptable. The worth of the life of a person isn't less just because someone happens to live in, for example, Asia instead of North America. Imagine the outrage if uninvolved people in the US were just randomly killed by another nations "war against terror".

It isn't that I am advocating for drone strikes. That wasn't my point. I think that is a tough question to answer and it happens to be the way things are being done at this point in time. 

Does anyone have any sort of idea about ISIS' organizational structure? It seems to be a bit of a mystery, no surprise, since it's probably impossible to get a mole in there. Jihad John was probably good for media purposes, because his English was so good, but at the end of the day, his only significance was that he "fit the suit" ISIS needed for its media rep. There will probably be a new Jihad John doing the exact same thing by the end of the week.

The last reports about him, before he was killed, was that he had become a liability to IS as a wanted target and had fled because he feared for his life.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/25/jihadi-john-allegedly-flees-islamic-state-fears-te/

Archived