IGNORED

Uh Oh.

Lainey

It means that 23andMe needs FDA approval before they can make any medical claims. It's potentially harmful because someone could make health decisions based on incorrect results. The ancestral results are not regulated by the FDA and they aren't concerned about that part of the test.

I saw it too. I literally mailed my testing kit in yesterday. I hope this won't affect those who have already received their kits.

Hmmm...not sure if we have based on health decisions on what came back for my husband. Though, I will say his came back positive as a carrier of the CF mutation, and part of the reason I'm taking my test is to see if I'm a carrier too. If I were to be a carrier as well and we wanted kids I would probably use the 23andme test as more of a motivator to get further testing from my doctor than just relying on a commercial kit. That is at least how I understood the purpose of the testing from the get-go.

The commercial implies that the results are accurate. Somebody could make life-changing medical decisions that cannot be reversed based on faulty results.

I doubt someone can walk into a clinic and demand chemo. It seems like FDA overkill to me.

And not happy with 23andMe...no response as to whether my kit will get processed, or if I will get my money back. Ugh

True, but there are a lot of other medical decisions one can make: taking unnecessary medications and supplements or make family planning decisions based on the results (tubal ligations, vasectomies). Believe it or not, there are people who would do that. Yes, there are people who are dumb enough not to do further testing under the care of medical professionals. It is a valid concern.

Archived