IGNORED

Hobby Lobby has a special 4th of July message for you.

Glass Cowcatcher

I went to check the mailer and see if sewing patterns were going to be on sale and was treated to this nice and big, on the front page: hobbylobby.com/assets/pdf/holiday_messages/current_message Thought I'd post this because it's pretty headbangy in its own right, and since a troll challenged us to find proof of Chik-Fil-A's specific ideology in a recent thread.

It's not news to me that Hobby Lobby is a Christian company. The "You Need Jesus" holiday adds don't really bother me, I jsut wish they would be open on Sundays.

I notice that they used this image also in 2008, and the images for non-election years were tamer. I wonder if HL will be joining the Super PAC happy fun ball.

Also, you can leave them your comments on the ad: hobbylobby.com/customer_service/contact_us_form.cfm?company=1&addr=19&dept=19

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could never spend a dime with those people.

I'm guilty of occasionally supplying the enemy. My town is just shit for other fabric and craft stores. :?

Another place I won't spend my hard earned dollars on craft supplies. We don't have them up here anyway so the point is moot but if they do come up to Canada I'm going to avoid going there.

Dear Hobby Lobby:

Thank you for letting me know so clearly that you don't want my money.

Sincerely,

A Jewish crafter

Hobby Lobby's stuff is such overproduced cheap crap that spending money there for me isn't a problem. Seriously maybe they ought to go be good Christians and travel over to China and see what the living conditions of their factory slaves - sorry, workers - are really like and do the Christian thing and not support industry like that. Considering they mark up the prices on those cheeseball decor items at least 10 times what they're paying (and the craft supplies are always more expensive than Joann, Michaels, AC Moore, etc) and buy SOOOO much of their inventory from China, I can't imagine why they believe they're doing such Christian things.

No Hobby Lobby stores around here. I'm safe!

No Hobby Lobby stores around here. I'm safe!

I think they also own Mardel.

I wish I could boycott them, but there is one right next to the store I work at and I need supplies from them frequently. Somehow I think my boss would frown upon me going across town to Michaels on company time.

No hobby lobby in Oregon so I dont have to worry about the now. I have shopped there but I prefer other stores. Their specials seem to be is home decor not craft items. I also dont like any store that postalizes to me while I shop.

No hobby lobby in Oregon so I dont have to worry about the now. I have shopped there but I prefer other stores. Their specials seem to be is home decor not craft items. I also dont like any store that postalizes to me while I shop.

This is a personal gripe of mine over all. SO hard to find craft stores that are actually dedicated to crafts!

I've only been to a Hobby Lobby once, the one in St. Cloud, MN. I did spend some money but not much. I just felt overwhelmed with all the products available. I am a scrapbooker. I could have spent a fortune but my brain truly was just too over stimulated. I don't like big box stores anyway. I don't even shop Michaels much. I buy at small, local independent stores.

I get most of my yarn and related craft supplies at misc. places online. On the occasion that I run out of something, someone will pick up some stuff from a LYS or big craft store that is not Hobby Lobby. How disgusting. I'm so glad there aren't any around here.

I've never seen a Mardel store either. :)

I've never seen a Mardel store either. :)

I've never even heard of it. Time to google.

What's with the chunk labeled "foreigners"? :shock: I can't really think of a better way to put it, but just putting FOREIGNERS in big black letters like that makes it look like a pejorative.

What's with the chunk labeled "foreigners"? :shock: I can't really think of a better way to put it, but just putting FOREIGNERS in big black letters like that makes it look like a pejorative.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

I know, I know, I guess for some stupid reason I'm just surprised they even used that word. It's just so... blunt.

And the quote they use for FOREIGNERS was written by a foreign visitor. De Toqueville toured the US in the early 1800s, went home to evil France and wrote about his travels.

PS: Poked my head in Hobby Lobby once. I had no idea what they were but did notice the sales clerk wrinkled her nose when I asked her if they stocked any secular kids' crafts, particularly crafts for boys. Okay, I may have used the term "Jesus free crafts" but you get the idea...

Hobby Lobby does own Mardel.

I see sales on craft items all the time in HL. Beads half price, etc. I don't do much crafting anymore, but I was in there recently to buy some vinyl tablecloth material. Lots of stuff on sale.

I knew hobby lobby was christian.. I had no clue they espoused this shit publicly. I am fine with shopping at places that are Christian, just as I am with places that are Muslim or Jewish or whatever... what i'm not fine with is when you make up shit statements like this. I looove chik-fil-a. I ate there until about a year or so ago when they started spouting off at the mouth about gays. It broke my heart.

Now Hobby Lobby is off the table. Good thing the only one is clear across town and there is a Michael's right down the road. I'm just sad cause they happen to carry a brand of yarn I love to make wool soakers out of. Now I must find that yarn online and order it... blah.

Either way... I love when people/places take statements out of context to fit their agenda. (please note the sarcasm)

I just do not even....

Aside from the horrible lack of any attempt at actual graphic design or typography in the ad, I wouldn't shop at Hobby Lobby for the same reason I generally avoid shopping at stores that have Jesus fish plastered on their TV or print ads. I don't care if you're Christian unless I'm buying some kind of Christian ritual item, like a rosary (and maybe not even then). All that does is tell me that, as a Jew, I'm likely to be proselytized and/or otherwise made uncomfortable should I find myself in your business. You want me to shop at your store, have good customer service, deal honestly with your customers and fellow business owners and conduct your business in an ethical fashion. I don't care what religion you are. When someone makes a big point out of broadcasting how very Christian they are, aside from not wanting to give money to an organization that I think will subsequently use it to proselytize to me or my own coreligionists, it makes me wonder what they're trying to hide. Besides, I seem to remember some very pointed verses in the New Testament about the sins of excessive public piety, et cetera.

Archived