IGNORED

Hobby Lobby has a special 4th of July message for you.

Glass Cowcatcher

I've never even heard of it. Time to google.

Mardel's is even more Christian than Hobby Lobby, at least with the stuff they sell. In Little Rock there sits a HUGE Hobby Lobby with a Mardel's next to it. When I was younger, we would go to Hobby Lobby for something, and check out Mardel's afterwards. I had no idea about Hobby Lobby's viewpoint until recently, and until this thread no idea Mardel's was theirs too.

At least here, the Jesus stuff isnt very pronounced in Hobby Lobby... unless its around the holidays when they like to sell giant crosses with whatever the theme of the holiday is stamped on it. Walk into Mardel's, and it. Is. EVERYWHERE.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not have known that Hobby Lobby was Christian had I not learned it here. I didn't see anything in the store that would lead me to know that. The fellow scrapper who introduced me to the store is Jewish, she shops there a lot.

Wow, talk about misinterpretation of a court ruling. The Church of the Holy Trinity vs. US case was about immigration and labor laws. In fact, the justice who wrote the decision, including the "Christian nation" part, was so bothered by the misinterpretation that he went on to write an entire book about it.

Also, quoting Benjamin Franklin? One of the greatest philanderers in American history... That's some good family values!

The Hobby Lobby here blasts Christian music, so that is how I figured out they were Christian. I'm not crafty in the least bit, so I haven't been there often.

The christian music in the stores and the note on the hours sign about why they're closed on Sundays were my first clues.

Any notice to all the quotes being before 1900's? It's like they want to step back 150 years. I'm sorry, if someone is going to try to convince me of something, they better have something better to bring to the table than "As it was said 200 years ago by someone who is now dead and is irrelevant to the current social issues of today..."

Any notice to all the quotes being before 1900's? It's like they want to step back 150 years. I'm sorry, if someone is going to try to convince me of something, they better have something better to bring to the table than "As it was said 200 years ago by someone who is now dead and is irrelevant to the current social issues of today..."

Yeah that's what I thought too.

I'm not savvy enough to counter those quotes point by point, though.

There is a shopping center here that has not just a Joann's, but also a Michaels and most recently a Hobby Lobby. I stopped by the latter on Thursday to see if they had anything interesting. Nope. The place is just chock-a-block with tons of cheap imported Chinese crap.

In addition to the over-the-top Christianness plus the right wing politics (hello, Jesus was not a Republican or a Democrat), Hobby Lobby is the only place I have EVER been to that has a sign on the front window asserting the right to search your bag if you're on their property. My response would be, "Great, would you like a strip search with that as well?" in my loudest outside voice.

The christian music in the stores and the note on the hours sign about why they're closed on Sundays were my first clues.

If there was music playing at the one I was at I didn't hear it. I didn't notice any sign but I wasn't looking either. If I ever go back (not likely) I'll pay more attention. Some of our local independent scrap book stores close on Sunday so that's not unusual.

I knew they were Christian but never thought of them being obnoxious about it until this. I haven't really seen any Christian propaganda there or heard religious music, but I haven't been there too often. My parents' Hobby Lobby is a bit far compared to Michael's and JoAnn's.

I'm okay with a store being whatever religion as long as they are not obnoxious about proselytizing. The purpose is to sell your products, not your religion - it could alienate people. I don't eat at Chik-fil-a because I think they are too vocal about issues I don't agree with, but the one in my new town is packed daily. And I am sure part of that is that we have a huge Evangelical Christian population. Somewhere like Forever 21 that puts "John 3:16" on the bags is a bit iffy to me. I will still shop there, because it's not in-your-face, but I would prefer that they didn't proselytize, period. (Don't tell me if Forever 21 gets worse than that, I like their clothes too much!)

There is a shopping center here that has not just a Joann's, but also a Michaels and most recently a Hobby Lobby. I stopped by the latter on Thursday to see if they had anything interesting. Nope. The place is just chock-a-block with tons of cheap imported Chinese crap.

In addition to the over-the-top Christianness plus the right wing politics (hello, Jesus was not a Republican or a Democrat), Hobby Lobby is the only place I have EVER been to that has a sign on the front window asserting the right to search your bag if you're on their property. My response would be, "Great, would you like a strip search with that as well?" in my loudest outside voice.

Ugh I wish we had a JoAnn's in town.. but alas, the closest one to me is over an hour away!

However, because of this thread, I found a wonderful small yarn shop in the next town over that sells hand spun yarns. The owner raises most of the sheeps, sheers, spins, dyes.. everything. They are a bit more expensive, but hell I'll pay for quality. So thank you Hobby Lobby for helping me find a yarn store close by that lets me support my local community.

Hobby Lobby isn't just Christian. It's full on Gothardite. The owners of Hobby Lobby provided a good portion of the purchase price for the Big Sandy TX, ATI/Alert facility from the Worldwide Church of God.

I don't shop at Hobby Lobby. I go to Joann's or Hancock fabric for sewing notions and craft supplies.

That speshul 4th of July message was pretty in your face arrogant.

PS: Poked my head in Hobby Lobby once. I had no idea what they were but did notice the sales clerk wrinkled her nose when I asked her if they stocked any secular kids' crafts, particularly crafts for boys. Okay, I may have used the term "Jesus free crafts" but you get the idea...

Hahaha :lol: I would have loved to see that.

I don't like opening PDFs (I know...!), so what does the ad say?

It has "In God We Trust" in giant letters in the middle, surrounded by groups of quotations from famous people in American history...presidents, congressmen, courts, etc. I would guess that many of the quotes have been taken largely out of context.

Hahaha :lol: I would have loved to see that.

It has "In God We Trust" in giant letters in the middle, surrounded by groups of quotations from famous people in American history...presidents, congressmen, courts, etc. I would guess that many of the quotes have been taken largely out of context.

How awfully rude!

(And honestly, I find the "In God We Trust" thing to be terribly irreligious. Did everybody miss the sermon on the moneylenders?)

Why can't these companies just keep their religion in their pants? I don't really care what they believe, but I don't want to be exposed to it while I'm doing my shopping.

Hobby Lobby isn't just Christian. It's full on Gothardite. The owners of Hobby Lobby provided a good portion of the purchase price for the Big Sandy TX, ATI/Alert facility from the Worldwide Church of God.

This. Daily Kos covered some of the Hobby Lobby ties to Gothard, AoG, and Dominionism a few times:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/02/0 ... -with-guns

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/7/23 ... 843/361219

I felt so dirty when I had to buy drafting supplies at Hobby Lobby for school. Sadly, they were the only place in town that had the specific stuff I needed. I've been ordering refills via Amazon, though.

I was just thinking, I get a lot of yarn from Annie's Attic which is based out of Big Sandy. I never really thought about it before. I did an internet search using some keywords and nothing immediate popped up and I don't want to discriminate against them simply based upon their location. They have some lovely yarns, deals, and patterns. Anyone else get yarn from them? I've never seen anything religious at all.

I wrote them saying something to the effect that "I guess you don't want my atheist dollars" . I got this response:

We would like to thank you so much for your comments about “In God We Trustâ€. The Green family appreciates any and all feedback.

If you would like to view our past message ads, they may be found on our website at http://www.hobbylobby.com/holiday_messa ... ssages.cfm. It is their sincere prayer that all would be touched by the gift of Salvation that Christ has so freely given to us.

Thank you for visiting our website.

Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

I've only been to a Hobby Lobby once, the one in St. Cloud, MN. I did spend some money but not much. I just felt overwhelmed with all the products available. I am a scrapbooker. I could have spent a fortune but my brain truly was just too over stimulated. I don't like big box stores anyway. I don't even shop Michaels much. I buy at small, local independent stores.

DUDE, St. Cloud? Why go to Hobby Lobby when you could go to CRAFTS DIRECT? Crafts Direct is my favorite, giant, independent craft store, walkable from the humble apartment I shared with my truelove in Waite Park. It's AMAZING. I still know the jingle, 6 years and two moves later. ;)

I wrote them saying something to the effect that "I guess you don't want my atheist dollars" . I got this response:

Fantastic. They respond to complaints about them shoving fundy Christianity down people's throats by shoving fundy Christianity down people's throats.

Well, bless their black little hearts!

and :text-+1: 000000000 to you for that comment.

Dear Hobby Lobby,

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-Treaty of Tripoly, article 11 John Adams

Sincerely,

Someone who actually knows their history.

Ugh. I wish their house-brand acrylic yarn wasn't pretty much the best acrylic out there. I will say that I do my best to only get that yarn there and only when I specifically need it.

Archived