IGNORED

Safeguard Your Heart! JW Conventions

mockingbird

Anyone know anything about these? I was just driving along the main road in my new town and lo and behold the "Safeguard Your Heart!" convention was being advertised at our auditorium/arena. All I can find online is that they are being held nation-wide and are expected to draw a lot of business to our area from surrounding states (kind-of doubting it will be as successful as promised though considering the crazy storms we had). The title sounded like it would be a good thing to snark on if I could find out anything about it. I've been getting the vibe that I moved to fundyville from some of the churches and people around here... it's just southern OH and I didn't think that was far enough south to be in fundy territory, don't know whether to be excited or scared! So while I don't think I am brave enough to attend (the JWs I have encountered have been vicious about converting you) I want to know more about this lovely conference that is now invading my town, if anyone has any info! My guess is it is about keeping sweet and/or courtship - either safeguarding from negative thoughts or from pieces of your heart being stolen.

On campus we would rent out space to our regional JWs , DeMolay and the Promise Keepers. Staff said that the were among the messiest of rental clients. They all attracted gawkers, except for the Peace Keepers who received a warm warm welcome from many citizens of my Blue Town in the least religious state in the nation 8-) They rented dorm rooms instead of hotels during the slow summer months, spent no money in town, and brought in their own food.

Every time I read something about 'safeguarding your heart' or purity, etc., I'm reminded of the brilliant C.S. Lewis quote:

"To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket―safe, dark, motionless, airless―it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable."

Every time I read something about 'safeguarding your heart' or purity, etc., I'm reminded of the brilliant C.S. Lewis quote:

"To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket―safe, dark, motionless, airless―it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable."

I love that quote.

I'm going to ask my cousin about this. She was a pretty rabid JW. She's still pretty religious, but she's mellowed out a lot. As in, I can have a conversation with her without her trying to convert me from my heathen ways.

Archived