IGNORED

Lori Alexander thinks teachers are rich

Most of it is her usual public schools are evil, everything else it good, but this was just so beyond dumb:

Did you know that a lot of teachers make more than nurses and accountants? I know several who make over $100,000 a year.

Really? Name one. Not even most college professors with doctorates make that much. Here the avg teacher makes between 30K to 45K and that's average, not the starting salary. Principals make around 60-70K here on average, but that's the best you'll get and they aren't teachers. Never heard of a PK-12 teacher in the public schools making that much. Private schools pay even less and offer less benefits a lot of the time. And charter schools aren't doing as well as she thinks.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear- Not around here. Starting pay is under 30k. Then take out for benefits, any union dues (which are optional to join in a RTW state) and taxes, that 30k doesn't go far. Teachers max out after career ladders, masters degrees and experience with about 60k.

I read her recent posting last night and I laughed. In my state, some teachers with master's degrees make around 60 k a year. I think Lori is talking out of her ass on some of the things in that posting. Check out her typos. I'm surprised the former teacher isn't using spell check.

efgl8k.jpg

6tl6ja.jpg

She is truly one of the most vile, ignorant bloggers I've read.

*If* we give her the benefit of the doubt (which I don't) she's got several teacher friends that lie, and she's gullible enough to believe them. If we don't we can just assume she's lying (ala Zsu Zsu) to support whatever the hell her point is.

Did I mention she's vile?

Guest Anonymous
Did you know that a lot of teachers make more than nurses and accountants? I know several who make over $100,000 a year.

Are we using nurses (perhaps the most famously underpaid profession ever) as a benchmark for being paid too much?

When my dad was teaching public school he got extra money from coaching three sports during the year. That only goes so far--there is only so much time in the day and in the year to take on extra activities, and it would be difficult at schools where there is no budget for extracurriculars. He knew a lot of teachers at his school who had to take on 2nd jobs in retail, as salespeople in department stores or cashiers at a mall food court.

Why shouldn't teachers earn more than some nurses and accountants? Why do so many people (including non-fundies) think that teaching is an easy low-skill job and that teachers should basically do it as charity work? Teachers need to pay for education and then they have a demanding job. They deserve to be paid fairly for the work they do. They aren't just leeches on taxpayer money; they provide a service in exchange for pay just like everyone else.

:lol: Oh wow... pardon me while I go laugh my ass off. :lol:

Now that I've stopped laughing...

The Partner and I have had many conversations how even when I have my degree and a "big kid job" that I still will only make a PORTION of what he makes. Seriously, I wanna teach where she taught. I go in to this profession KNOWING I will make very little for the amount of time and energy I put in to my craft... but I do it because I love it. A lot of teachers pay for shit out of their own money because they can't get basics in their classroom... so not only do you have to take out union dues and healthcare but also paying for shit the state doesn't pay for. It's ridiculous to think teachers are over paid in any way, shape or form.

I laughed at her line about not joining the union when she taught.

"Ken didn't want me to because they support things that I don't support.".

So she needed Ken to tell her the union supported things she didn't support?

Or, more likely, these were things Ken didn't support.

Do these fundy women have minds of their own at all?

ETA: Oh, and no teacher in my neck of the woods makes $100,000 a year either.

Why shouldn't teachers earn more than some nurses and accountants? Why do so many people (including non-fundies) think that teaching is an easy low-skill job and that teachers should basically do it as charity work? Teachers need to pay for education and then they have a demanding job. They deserve to be paid fairly for the work they do. They aren't just leeches on taxpayer money; they provide a service in exchange for pay just like everyone else.

THIS!

I am so sick and tired of the shit teachers, especially public school teachers, get from the extreme right wing. Yes, there are shitty public school teachers. I dealt with plenty of them. But I also know that there are truly dedicated, highly skilled and valuable public school teachers.

Here is a link to what teachers can expect to make here in Wisconsin.

http://www.teacherportal.com/salary/Wis ... her-salary

It's so funny how Lori and her ilk can lambaste teachers but say jackshit about the bankers, CEOs, and other financial types who played a huge part in causing our bad economy and the worst recession since the Great Depression.

And thanks to the link of Lori's blog posting on this matter. I took one look at her major riffles and my eyes rolled so far back I saw my spine. Wait, Lori is a former teacher? Maybe she's ripping apart teachers because she was a piss poor teacher just like Kelly Crawford.

She is truly one of the most vile, ignorant bloggers I've read.

*If* we give her the benefit of the doubt (which I don't) she's got several teacher friends that lie, and she's gullible enough to believe them. If we don't we can just assume she's lying (ala Zsu Zsu) to support whatever the hell her point is.

Did I mention she's vile?

I only recently started reading Lori's blog. I started reading it, after the thread here about her postings about women and college. She is pretty vile and is in the same league as ZsuZsu. I think ZsuZsu is smarter than Lori. Lori's posting about her son force feeding his daughter was pretty disturbing, and the fact that Lori doesn't see the dangers of force feeding a child sends chills down my spine. There have been several postings on Lori's blog that seem exaggerated or show the possibility that she is lying about certain subjects. There was one posting about her daughter's college experience that didn't seem completely truthful.

THIS!

I am so sick and tired of the shit teachers, especially public school teachers, get from the extreme right wing. Yes, there are shitty public school teachers. I dealt with plenty of them. But I also know that there are truly dedicated, highly skilled and valuable public school teachers.

Here is a link to what teachers can expect to make here in Wisconsin.

http://www.teacherportal.com/salary/Wis ... her-salary

It's so funny how Lori and her ilk can lambaste teachers but say jackshit about the bankers, CEOs, and other financial types who played a huge part in causing our bad economy and the worst recession since the Great Depression.

And thanks to the link of Lori's blog posting on this matter. I took one look at her major riffles and my eyes rolled so far back I saw my spine. Wait, Lori is a former teacher? Maybe she's ripping apart teachers because she was a piss poor teacher just like Kelly Crawford.

This.

Guest Anonymous

This.

Really? This? I agree with the gist of it but I can't help but feel massively awkward about the 'Why shouldn't teachers earn more than some nurses' part. You want a highly skilled job that is under-appreciated and underpaid? Think nursing. The nurses I know have crazy, far-reaching medical skills. They literally save people's lives and yet they get treated like doctors' servants and get paid jack shit for their trouble.

What an ignorant bitch. My son goes to an all special needs k-12 school, and several of the younger teachers have 2nd jobs waiting tables, bartending, and retail. They teach our kids because they love the kids and they love learning.

I've also got 2 aunts who teach - one just retired last year in Michigan from high school english, and she *Might* make close to $50,000 after 30 years. The other one is in Indiana and makes a little over $40,000 after teaching 3rd grade for 20 years.

I don't even know any administrators (with Masters & Doctorates) who make over $100,000.

My mother has a BA, a DipEd, an MA and a degree of some kind in special ed. She gets a head of department salary and she's been teaching for about 40 years. I'll let her know she's being stiffed by $50,000-ish per year.

I don't think Lori is in the same league as ZsuZsu, but that might be because I acknowledge Zsu as an intelligent (though narcissistic and bitter) human being who actively spreads hate and fear. Lori is an ignorant sheep who just bleats (is it possible for bleating to be grammatically incorrect? With dreadful spelling?) what the rest of the fundie herd are bleating. I just can't hold her to the same level of responsibility as I hold Zsu. Lori is that special breed of stupid that only exists (or at least exists most strongly) when women who have entire families of children in their teens become born again superfundies. Lori has 4 'grown children' and a grandchild at 31, so she has a lot of judgement to pass out in her free time.

Typing out that Zsu is intelligent is like the written form of vomiting. I think I'll go and brush my teeth to get rid of the nasty taste now.

ETA: I wanted to say this earlier, but every time I read about 'beaurocracies' I giggle and say 'Bo-rock-racey' out loud. I just can't help it. I know it's not an easy word to spell, and that not everyone is a great speller, but that's why the LORD invented spellcheck. Also: dictionaries.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh dear. My dad, public school teacher with nearly 40 years experience. Has a masters in education. Me, I'm 30-ish and single and my salary is nearly 50% more than his. He has a second job in the summer as an insurance claims adjuster and makes almost more money doing that for 3 months than his annual teaching salary. He could easily go full time at thr insurance company, but my old man loves what he does and he is amazing at it to boot.

She's a fucking idiot. I've known a lot of teachers in my time and none of them bank even close to 6 figures. Perhaps the only 6 figure salaries there are in teaching are for superintendents of large public school districts. But that isn't even a teaching position...that is administration.

Note to Lori: It's been proven that, even with better overall attendance scores, charter schools consistently UNDERPERFORM conventional public schools. Parents just like the idea of charter schools because they give parents the illusion that parents have more control over what goes on in their kids' schools.

Oh, and I'm on my way over to my public-school-teaching daughter's house to find out why she hasn't bought me that vacation home yet.

Really? This? I agree with the gist of it but I can't help but feel massively awkward about the 'Why shouldn't teachers earn more than some nurses' part. You want a highly skilled job that is under-appreciated and underpaid? Think nursing. The nurses I know have crazy, far-reaching medical skills. They literally save people's lives and yet they get treated like doctors' servants and get paid jack shit for their trouble.

Wow, you missed my point really hard. I wasn't just reversing it and saying that nurses are the truly unworthy ones. My point was that it's wrong to think of these jobs as unworthy of decent pay, and that includes teaching. Nursing was already addressed by a previous commenter. Some teachers will make more than some nurses and some nurses will make more than some teachers. There are many different types of nursing and different experience levels, and the same is true to a lesser extent with public school teachers. I refuse to perpetuate this game about who truly deserves the better pay. Teachers and nurses both deserve to be paid fairly for their work. It isn't insulting to nurses to suggest that while they deserve fair pay, teachers just might deserve fair pay too.

Guest Anonymous

Wow, you missed my point really hard. I wasn't just reversing it and saying that nurses are the truly unworthy ones. My point was that it's wrong to think of these jobs as unworthy of decent pay, and that includes teaching. Nursing was already addressed by a previous commenter. Some teachers will make more than some nurses and some nurses will make more than some teachers. There are many different types of nursing and different experience levels, and the same is true to a lesser extent with public school teachers. I refuse to perpetuate this game about who truly deserves the better pay. Teachers and nurses both deserve to be paid fairly for their work. It isn't insulting to nurses to suggest that while they deserve fair pay, teachers just might deserve fair pay too.

Sorry. I do get it. I just thought that your wording was a little ambiguous.

God, I must be doing it wrong. I make less than a third of that a year. I would like to meet these several wealthy teachers she knows and ask them what their secret is. Oh wait, I bet I can guess: Their secret is that they are a product of Lori's imagination, so they can make as much as she wants them to. :roll:

Add to that, in my state as far as teaching they're pretty much only hiring "certified substitutes." What that means is that they hire a teacher for a specific position for the whole year. That teacher does the exact same job- including such lovely aspects as attending training sessions and faculty meetings, arranging educational plans, meeting with parents from all walks of life, and dealing with every school policy imaginable- as a "regular" teacher, but since they are "subs" they only get paid $100/day and they get no benefits (such as health insurance or retirement). My husband and I, who both have master's degrees, are straddling the poverty line and I have another part-time job on top of teaching. Lori's a stupid twat.

National annual wages for secondary school teachers (excluding special needs teachers, etc.):

Average: $55,990

90% made at least: $35,020

75% made at least: $42,670

50% made at least: $53,230

25% made at least: $67,210

10% made at least: $83,230

National annual wages for secondary school teachers (excluding special needs teachers, etc.):

Average: $55,990

90% made at least: $35,020

75% made at least: $42,670

50% made at least: $53,230

25% made at least: $67,210

10% made at least: $83,230

My husband is a teacher with a master's and 25 years of experience in the same big-city school district, and he is pretty much right at the median then. Where are these six-figure teachers? I'm a classical musician and I have made more than my husband every year of our marriage with the exception of the year that my orchestra went dark. (no thanks to my orchestra either, I teach and gig a lot)

I hope I wasn't coming across insensitive to nurses and what they go through. I have worked in the health field (administrative), and I well aware nurses are highly skilled, but not nearly appreciated and paid enough. It just seems when fundies rip apart the American workforce they go for teachers, especially public school teachers.

I went to college where both education and nursing were big majors and both fields were taken very seriously by both students and professors. An idiot like Lori wouldn't have lasted five seconds at my college. Then again, I bet she thought education would be a fun little jobette she could do while she waited to get that ring on her finger. She'd get to "play" with kids and then have the summers off so she could work on her tan.

And I'm wondering if maybe teachers and nurses don't get the respect they deserve because they are still considered mainly "women's" jobs. Hmm...

Archived