IGNORED

Brazen Churches breaking the law and proud of it.

tabitha2

Ugh, Jim Garlow, egomaniac. I have driven past that church and the HUGE sign of him. I know people who have left rather be affiliated with the Church of Garlow.

If these churches are going to be charged with IRS violations it sure isn't gonna happen until after the election cycle and it will only be done by a Democratic administration.

riffle

I have a solution: Churches pay taxes just like the rest of us. I'm tired of subsidizing Ye Olde Megachurches and That Church Based In Utah With Zillions Of Branches In Arizona. Especially since the latter just finished building a mall in SLC--which could only happen because money's fungible.

I have a solution: Churches pay taxes just like the rest of us. I'm tired of subsidizing Ye Olde Megachurches and That Church Based In Utah With Zillions Of Branches In Arizona. Especially since the latter just finished building a mall in SLC--which could only happen because money's fungible

That's my preference, too. I don't think it'll happen because all the churches would be whining about persecution and the founding fathers and blah blah blah. :x :roll:

Just imagine what good could happen if churches paid taxes and tithing couldn't reduce income taxes. :clap:

I agree churches should be taxed - so many people run churches and ministries primarily as a business anyway. I think it would maybe help weed out some of the worst of those who are in it only because they see it as a way to get rich with little work.

The irony of this is there's been a movement for a long time among some of the churches where the pastors and congregation are on the political fringe (several that I know of have some affiliation with the militia movement) to reject 501c3 status for just that reason - they are no longer tax exempt, but they are also then not bound by the laws which restrict political activism from the pulpit.

Sometimes I like churches' political activism when they are committing civil disobedience and proud of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Community_Church_of_Toronto#LGBT_Issues

Because someone had to challenge the gay marriage laws before they got changed.

Thank you, Metropolitan Community Church of Toronto!

That's my preference, too. I don't think it'll happen because all the churches would be whining about persecution and the founding fathers and blah blah blah. :x :roll:

Just imagine what good could happen if churches paid taxes and tithing couldn't reduce income taxes. :clap:

Thirded. Churches are basically businesses, in my view. Some more than others, but the rest of society should not be subsidizing any religion.

I agree, especially since I heard about one leader of that church that built a mall in SLC telling his ward that it was their religious duty to vote for Romney. There are probably more like that bishop, but nothing will probably happen.

Archived