IGNORED

Do they talk like we do?

MamaJunebug

We're well aware that extremists/ fundamentalists/ dominionists don't write the way we do. Steven Loomis describes his newborn son as having "thin" hair.

Steve Maxwell says "time will tell" when asked how his toddler granddaughter reacts to the arrival of a new baby sister.

People often write more floridly or formally than they speak. My question is: Do e/f/d's speak the way they write? Guess I've never been around any knowingly, to notice if there's a difference.

I sincerely hope not.

"I purpose to go fix Uriah's 27th cracked windshield." "Alright, John. The Lord has laid it on my heart to assist you. But first, I purpose to have a 22nd photo session of Anna Marie radiating the joy of motherhood."

I'm hoping they just write that way.

Sort of OT, but it always seems so jarring to me when the Maxwell sons are referred to as "the guys." It seems like such a slang-y, modern term; I always feel like they should be using "the men," or "the young men" to disinguish from the master Steve.

The fundie-lites that I know speak just like everyone else, though with censored versions of curses or none at all. (i.e., dang or darn, crap in some circles, all of those are too harsh in some circles where it never, ever gets further than "oh my goodness!") But that's in regular conversation. Then when the conversation turns religious they start busting out all the fundie speak. "God laid it on my heart", etc. But I've never ever heard anyone use defrauded the way the Duggars do, though I've heard fundies and non fundies use it with it's actual meaning. I've also never heard anyone say "purposed" before.

I wonder, though, if the sorts of fundies that blog are also the sort of people that, without having an religion at all, would just speak or at least write, in a flowery manner. I am acquainted with some people who are either not or not very religious who speak all flowery.

And of course I know plenty of people with low but public schooled education levels who can't speak any better than the Maxwell's.

But I don't think I know any true blue fundies, especially not the reformed/dominionist variety, just fundie-lites who are more on the Pentecostal/Baptist/Church of Christ variety. Though I've never met an IFB, so these are Baptists hooked up with some sort of general assembly at the least.

When I read Steve Maxwell's posts, he sounds like Warren Jeffs in my head. No, seriously.

I sincerely hope not.

"I purpose to go fix Uriah's 27th cracked windshield." "Alright, John. The Lord has laid it on my heart to assist you. But first, I purpose to have a 22nd photo session of Anna Marie radiating the joy of motherhood."

I'm hoping they just write that way.

I'm pretty sure I've heard at least one Duggar speak the word "purposed" in that way, and one (I'm thinking either JB or J'ichelle) use the phrase "laid it on/in my/our heart(s)".

When I read Steve Maxwell's posts, he sounds like Warren Jeffs in my head. No, seriously.

This!

This!

Are there any recordings of Steve Maxwell? I've heard recordings of Warren Jeffs, he talks very slowly...deliberately...softly...and would put me to sleep.

Archived