IGNORED

Christina Mercy Maxwell Models Headband

Creaky Mom

I put Julia in a blue dress once too! Had tulle... lace... very princess-ish... and got "What a cute boy!" What?? She was in a DRESS! And frilly socks!! Come on!! (I didn't put shoes on her then..)

I had my oldest DD in a very pink, rosebud covered pant set and got the boy comment too. :?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all fairness, this is NOT only a fundie thing. I do newborn photography and EVERY SINGLE mom of a new girl want me to use hairbands and flowers of ridiculous proportions.

I had my oldest DD in a very pink, rosebud covered pant set and got the boy comment too. :?

I think when it comes to babies, some people just loose their senses. Back in the day when my parents would go out with twin1 and I in the double-wide stroller, without fail they would end up in a conversation that went something like this:

Random Person: Ahhh cute, twins??

Parental Units: Yes.

RP: Identical?

PU: Yes.

RP: A boy and a girl?

PU: Uh, no. Two girls.

In all fairness, this is NOT only a fundie thing. I do newborn photography and EVERY SINGLE mom of a new girl want me to use hairbands and flowers of ridiculous proportions.

Agreed. I see this on my fb all the time. It makes me want to :evil:

I do have an aversion to the stupid headbands. I just don't get them.

I so detest those headbands. Those fundies, they always have to be able to tell what sex the baby is as soon as it's born, or else... :shock:

Josie Duggar seemed to hate her flower headband when she was a baby, she always removed it (they must have been itchy). Of course Boob or Michelle were always on standby to put it back on her poor head. Same with Mackynzie.

The glorious fundie male babies don't have to wear an ugly, itchy thing on their heads! Lucky them.

Granted, fundies are not the only ones with a flower headband fetish but it's them I had in mind when looking at this latest Maxwell baby.

Agreed. I see this on my fb all the time. It makes me want to :evil:

Yes, definitly not just a fundie thing. All of my non-fundie cousins who had girls had those floral headbands. I personally do not get the love for them, but I can tolerate them. However, the headbands with the fake pigtails :naughty:

I can only imagine the headband monstrosities my mom would have put on me if they'd been available when I was born :o

I was more or less bald until I was well over a year old, and Mom used to put sticky bows for wrapping presents on my head because apparently the dresses were not enough of a giveaway that I was a girl...

and sparkly, there must be sparkles!

Oh gawd yes. Sparkles too. And fluffy pink feathers. Don't forget the fluffy pink feathers. I swear she's just one of those girls who will never grow out of pink and sparkly, either that or she will hit 13 and wake up as a goth!

You know, there's even a troll ear version for "those" people...

025.JPG

I am a big nerd but the first thing I thought was baby Yoda!

I liked what my dad said about those headbands is that it's like putting ribbon around a bowling ball. At least my niece hated things like that, as she would take them out right away.

I am a big nerd but the first thing I thought was baby Yoda!

I had the same thought.

I wouldn't let them put a pink hat on my girl in the hospital, but the blue hat was confusing the heck out of the nurses, so my baby came home wearing a Jayne Cobb hat that a friend had made us.

I do put headbands on my girl occasionally, but only because by six months her hair was long enough to get in her eyes if I wasn't careful to make sure it dried slicked back from her forehead. I do think the headbands are kinda cute (only a couple have bows, no flowers at all), and she looks extra adorable with her curls puffed up and spilling over them, but the pretty headbands are a dress up thing, not an every day thing, and I stick to little bands that hide in her hair most of the time. I mostly dress her in "non-girl" colors (my relatives have had fun finding cute outfits in gray and black and blue) and her everyday clothes are often just pants and a onesie, so she's usually mistaken for a boy. Once she was in a dress and headband and still mistaken for a boy, I think because the dress was brown, and so was the headband.

On the flip side, I think it's really sad how limited the clothing boys are 'allowed' to wear can be. Mostly just onesies and pants, in strong primary colors, preferably with some animal or machine on it and very little decoration otherwise. A friend of mine liked turquoise, and dressed her son in that color, which apparently wasn't masculine enough to prevent him from being mistaken for a girl (she didn't care). Really cute outfits aren't just fun for parents, they're fun for everyone, so if you dress your child in an eye-catching outfit, random people are more likely to interact with your kid, smile, talk, make faces, play games. Girls get better outfits, so they get more socialization. I'm convinced it's these small disparities in treatment that create a lot of the gender differences we see by the pre-school years.

I'm suddenly overcome with the desire to make "boy" headbands with little horns on them, or antennas, or little bugs, eyeballs, etc. And then give to them to all my friends, regardless of the gender of their babies.

I hate the headbands. I doubt that they are really comfortable for the baby. People who treat babies as dress up dolls baffle me. To me the object is to keep baby as comfortable as possible. I like cute baby clothes as much as most people, but I like to get ones that are also nice and soft for the little one.

Archived