IGNORED

My Children Love Being Homeschooled!

dairyfreelife

Amy at raisingarrows.net wrote a post about homeschooled children liking being homeschooled. However, let's be honest now. If one of her children was not happy being homeschooled, it would not matter. She would not even consider putting them in school just like many public school parents would not want to homeschool. My parents never would have homeschooled.

Anyway, she asks her children what they like about being homeschooled:

“Because I get to be in an environment with people who are well behaved.â€

The comments are as interesting as the post.

my oldest (4.5) already tells me constantly that she doesn’t want to go to school. She doesn’t want to leave me. That’s for “other†kids, “bigger†kids (but she doesn’t want to go when she’s bigger, either).

raisingarrows.net/2012/06/do-homeschooled-kids-actually-like-to-be-homeschooled/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amy at raisingarrows.net wrote a post about homeschooled children liking being homeschooled. However, let's be honest now. If one of her children was not happy being homeschooled, it would not matter. She would not even consider putting them in school just like many public school parents would not want to homeschool. My parents never would have homeschooled.

Anyway, she asks her children what they like about being homeschooled:

The comments are as interesting as the post.

raisingarrows.net/2012/06/do-homeschooled-kids-actually-like-to-be-homeschooled/

Ugh....

I'm planning on homeschooling, however if I observed (and I plan on watching VERY CAREFULLY) that my kids were either a: horrifically unhappy or b: not thriving/meeting certain academic milestones, I would put my personal philosophies aside and do what's best for my kid- put them either in a public or private school where they were happier or where it would be a better academic setting for them. I want my kids to thrive, not just live off of my own parenting ideals. In fact, my 2 year old is starting pre preschool in the fall because I KNOW its a place where he will thrive. I'm better at the "bigger kid" stuff, not early early childhood. So I'm digging deep, paying the damn tuition, and sending him.

Have they ever known anything except being homeschooled and what their parents tell them public school is like?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Of course her young children will tell her they don't want to go to school or to leave her. They've spent the majority of their little lives with her and it's natural for them to be nervous about being away from her. But that's not a reason to homeschool a child.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I would have said that I "loved" being homeschooled, because my parents framed things in a "if you go to public school, you have failed" kind of way. At the same time though I was very conscious that I was different than other kids, and didn't actually want to be.

I would have said that I "loved" being homeschooled, because my parents framed things in a "if you go to public school, you have failed" kind of way. At the same time though I was very conscious that I was different than other kids, and didn't actually want to be.

See and I would have loved being homeschooled if I had been. I got bullied HORRIBLY. Dealing with my parents over the people who were slamming my head and hands into lockers? Much much better environment. :( One of my friends WAS homeschooled because of a very similar situation and thrived. But it wasn't SODRT - both of her parents are college profs, and work at the same university, so one taught night classes the other day classes.

(that's not why i'm homeschooling mine fwiw, I love teaching, I love seeing the "learning moment" and the few things I have taught my kid "academically" (abc's 123's ) , him and I have had an epic blast doing it. :) Had my parents not been epic douchebags my junior year in college I'd HAVE a teaching certificate but no. I HAD TO FINISH IN FOUR YEARS NO OTHER CHOICE. Never mind that I was paying for it with loans taken out in my name....)

And I have students who LOVE going to public school. To each their own.

Why does choice for these fundies have to be about putting down other peoples choice?

And I have students who LOVE going to public school. To each their own.

Why does choice for these fundies have to be about putting down other peoples choice?

Because their way is the ONLY POSSIBLE WAY you can do things! Don't you know that???!??! My mother explains it by saying, if they tolerate another person's choice, they are conceding to the fact that there's a possibility that they could be wrong.

See and I would have loved being homeschooled if I had been. I got bullied HORRIBLY. Dealing with my parents over the people who were slamming my head and hands into lockers? Much much better environment. :( One of my friends WAS homeschooled because of a very similar situation and thrived. But it wasn't SODRT - both of her parents are college profs, and work at the same university, so one taught night classes the other day classes.

(that's not why i'm homeschooling mine fwiw, I love teaching, I love seeing the "learning moment" and the few things I have taught my kid "academically" (abc's 123's ) , him and I have had an epic blast doing it. :) Had my parents not been epic douchebags my junior year in college I'd HAVE a teaching certificate but no. I HAD TO FINISH IN FOUR YEARS NO OTHER CHOICE. Never mind that I was paying for it with loans taken out in my name....)

I don't want to minimize your experiences at all bit I think this is a problem with the public schools, NOT a strength of homeschooling. States should get their act in order when it comes to school funding and take bullying seriously. Things should not get so bad that parents have to take education upon themselves.

I think everyone who homeschools on FJ is genuinely competent and invested in their children's education, but I have just seen way too many children suffering, intellectually and emotionally, while their parents rationalize away their problems with a "schools are violent! my kid loves being homeschooled! but he scored well on the tests!" type of excuses.

Homeschooling is really, really rare in the UK. Bullying is a serious issue but usually parents try to move the child to another school. Homeschooling is legal but I've never met anyone who has been.

Because their way is the ONLY POSSIBLE WAY you can do things! Don't you know that???!??! My mother explains it by saying, if they tolerate another person's choice, they are conceding to the fact that there's a possibility that they could be wrong.

Oh I know. It just one of the more sad aspects of fundies.

I don't want to minimize your experiences at all bit I think this is a problem with the public schools, NOT a strength of homeschooling. States should get their act in order when it comes to school funding and take bullying seriously. Things should not get so bad that parents have to take education upon themselves.

I think everyone who homeschools on FJ is genuinely competent and invested in their children's education, but I have just seen way too many children suffering, intellectually and emotionally, while their parents rationalize away their problems with a "schools are violent! my kid loves being homeschooled! but he scored well on the tests!" type of excuses.

Oh I completely agree with you here!!! With my friend, it was an absolute LAST resort on her mother's part.

I'm totally playing my schooling of my kids by ear- if I note that they're struggling academically, we'll either get them help via tutoring, or get them in the public system ASAP. My parents and mother in law are educators (mil early childhood, parents K-12), so I do have a LOT of resources at my hands as to "where he should be" every year. I'm also planning on doing park district stuff with him so that he's got a chance to interact with other kids. ~ In fact, that reminds me, i gotta go sign him up for a gymnastics class that I think he'd have a blast at this summer!

Oh I completely agree with you here!!! With my friend, it was an absolute LAST resort on her mother's part.

I'm totally playing my schooling of my kids by ear- if I note that they're struggling academically, we'll either get them help via tutoring, or get them in the public system ASAP. My parents and mother in law are educators (mil early childhood, parents K-12), so I do have a LOT of resources at my hands as to "where he should be" every year. I'm also planning on doing park district stuff with him so that he's got a chance to interact with other kids. ~ In fact, that reminds me, i gotta go sign him up for a gymnastics class that I think he'd have a blast at this summer!

Ok glad we are on the same page here. I know I'm harsh as hell on homeschoolers, but I have just seen it screw up so many lives. :cry:

I don't have any evidence but suspect that, beyond the bigotry against LBGT individuals, a lot of the right's opposition to antibullying legislation is to force more parents into homeschooling.

Have they ever known anything except being homeschooled and what their parents tell them public school is like?

Or another question, do they have any public-schooled friends?

By me there are a segment of people who either homeschool or send their kids to private Christian schools because, in the parents' words, the public schools have "behavior problems." They write letters to the editor and comment on school-related articles in the online paper, and they have a very twisted uninformed view of just what the public schools are like - quite frankly, it reeks of white flight.

A while ago the paper ran an article including various academic stats on the schools and it was found that actually the main city schools did better than the various private Christian schools or the small schools in surrounding "bedroom community" areas (think: small towns that used to be independent but now are basically suburbs for the city, though many of the newer residents are loathe to admit that they're essentially living in suburbia). This was not met well and was when the main argument changed from "oh but the private schools are academically better" to "well, the public schools have 'behavior problems.'"

Ok glad we are on the same page here. I know I'm harsh as hell on homeschoolers, but I have just seen it screw up so many lives. :cry:

I don't have any evidence but suspect that, beyond the bigotry against LBGT individuals, a lot of the right's opposition to antibullying legislation is to force more parents into homeschooling.

I've noticed a LOT of the issues stem from isolation. The homeschoolers that I know who are involved in park district stuff, or community bands, or such have an easier time than the folks who completely isolated their children. *coughduggarscough* Guy I went to HS with was homeschooled til highschool. His mom kept him INSANELY isolated and he was S.C.R.E.W.E.D up!

My friend who was yanked out of school for bullying? her mom kept her in park district stuff, had her doing community theatre, that sort of thing. She's a bit weird but she' s completely able to function in the real world~ she's got 2 BA's, one in Art and the other in Theatre and is applying for masters programs right now. (Her mom jokes "she's not weird because she' was homeschooled, she was homeschooled because she's weird". Which honestly? I think is G-ds truth ). Her grades in college? were always WAY better than mine.

However, isolation isn't all of it. Homeschooling is one of those things that I personally think that you NEED to WATCH your kids and make sure that they're doing well, as opposed to "BLAH BLAH BLAH THIS IS MY HOLY CRUSADE AS A SAHM". I also plan on having an actual, you know curriculum that's not "switched on schoolhouse" or "college minus" material. I'm basically going to set up lesson plans like a "real" teacher would. And you know, an actual SCHEDULE because I will need structure as much as they will.

However, isolation isn't all of it. Homeschooling is one of those things that I personally think that you NEED to WATCH your kids and make sure that they're doing well, as opposed to "BLAH BLAH BLAH THIS IS MY HOLY CRUSADE AS A SAHM". I also plan on having an actual, you know curriculum that's not "switched on schoolhouse" or "college minus" material. I'm basically going to set up lesson plans like a "real" teacher would. And you know, an actual SCHEDULE because I will need structure as much as they will.

The problem is that SO many of the homeschooling organizations and curriculum promote this and minimize real issues that might require professional intervention. I know secular homeschoolers who have complained about the "fundy creep" in supposedly non-religious curriculum.

If it's pounded into your head from birth that going to school is bad and wrong and being homeschooled is fun and the best and sunshine and roses, of course you are going to say you love it and don't want to go to the big, bad school.

A 5 year old has no basis for comparison. No ability to make decisions for him/herself. He/she only knows what mom and dad have taught. And probably scared them to death of the mere idea of public school. It's not that hard to imagine such a young kid 'loving' homeschool. Or, any kid for that matter who has no other experience and has been convinced how terrible any other option would be.

The problem is that SO many of the homeschooling organizations and curriculum promote this and minimize real issues that might require professional intervention. I know secular homeschoolers who have complained about the "fundy creep" in supposedly non-religious curriculum.

Ugh, yeah, not cool. NOT COOL. Stuff like ADHD and Autism Spectrum stuff NEED to be addressed if that's what you're referring to. However, some school districts don't do shit either. Family member of mine is struggling with this. Their kid SHOULD have had hard core IEPS, and OT 2 years ago. They're "just getting started" now. :evil: Meanwhile, the kid is academically a year ahead but socially and behaviorally i'd say 2 years behind. However, me and another family member who is an occupational therapist have been saying for years this kid needs help, but we don't wanna you know, butt in on the family stuff. You know how it is. :roll:

Homeschooling is really, really rare in the UK. Bullying is a serious issue but usually parents try to move the child to another school. Homeschooling is legal but I've never met anyone who has been.

Well, that's a problem in the US. It's not that simple to just move your child to another school. Where I grew up, you had assigned schools and that was where you went. Now if you moved into another in the district with a different assigned school or even rarely into a nearby school district, you could keep your child in their old school/assigned schools if you wanted, but you had to provide your own transportation. Switching schools was not really possible unless you switched to a private school and those are rather expensive. We had three Catholic elementary/junior high and one Catholic secondary school in the area. There was only two major Christian schools that I can think of and a few small ones, some unaccrediated along with one Montessori school. There were not choice schools and to my knowledge, the area still does not do choice schools except with high schools. But again, you had to provide your own transportation and the schools were NOT close by one another at all. Some districts only had one high school in my state as well, so you were flat out of options unless you moved, because simply going to another high school was not possible or practical even if it would have been possible. I think that's why trouble with one school leads to parents homeschooling. It's easier than the hassle of trying to get into another public (state) school, which may not even be possible at all and cheaper than the private schools.

Well, that's a problem in the US. It's not that simple to just move your child to another school. Where I grew up, you had assigned schools and that was where you went. Now if you moved into another in the district with a different assigned school or even rarely into a nearby school district, you could keep your child in their old school/assigned schools if you wanted, but you had to provide your own transportation. Switching schools was not really possible unless you switched to a private school and those are rather expensive. We had three Catholic elementary/junior high and one Catholic secondary school in the area. There was only two major Christian schools that I can think of and a few small ones, some unaccrediated along with one Montessori school. There were not choice schools and to my knowledge, the area still does not do choice schools except with high schools. ...

Even if it is possible to switch to a private school, the majority of them are religious--parents may not want to send their children to a school whose theology they do not follow. I wonder if these schools would even accept the children of openly nonreligious students.

Even if it is possible to switch to a private school, the majority of them are religious--parents may not want to send their children to a school whose theology they do not follow. I wonder if these schools would even accept the children of openly nonreligious students.

Some do. The parochial schools around here will take anyone who passes the test, and is willing to pay the tuition.

I have a friend who home schooled her 4th grader this year and will continue to do so until he is ready for high school. He was in a Catholic school and just hated school. Her other children, both older and younger, all went to the same school and loved it, did well. I give my friend credit for recognizing that for this son it seemed wise to try homeschooling. And it worked, he's doing great, scoring much higher on testing, and is now a happy child. I don't think any one method of schooling is necessarily the right answer for every student. I've had a few friends who home schooled, none for religious reasons. And each family was very involved in other community activities, no isolation like we see with many fundy homeschoolers. How many of them would admit that maybe an individual child would benefit from public education?

It's a lot easier to move schools here but in some areas it's hard. People still don't choose to homeschool though so I'm not sure what they do, especially in villages. I guess they put pressure on the school. I grew up in a city so I don't know.

I have a friend who home schooled her 4th grader this year and will continue to do so until he is ready for high school. He was in a Catholic school and just hated school. Her other children, both older and younger, all went to the same school and loved it, did well. I give my friend credit for recognizing that for this son it seemed wise to try homeschooling. And it worked, he's doing great, scoring much higher on testing, and is now a happy child. I don't think any one method of schooling is necessarily the right answer for every student. I've had a few friends who home schooled, none for religious reasons. And each family was very involved in other community activities, no isolation like we see with many fundy homeschoolers. How many of them would admit that maybe an individual child would benefit from public education?

:clap: :clap:

This, exactly.

Archived