IGNORED

Fundie sightings!

bekkah

Subject: Fundie sightings!

They pretty much run a town close to were I live. I've not had a good experience with these people. :evil:

Yes, I have heard this type of thing too. They are concentrated around a small town near the bigger town where I live. I have heard that they pretty much run the town. AC's don't appear to eschew "modern" living, such as the Amish do. They seem to have lots of money; they own property all over the place; the heads of families own big businesses in the area. There's one family where several of the men are lawyers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't get many fundies in my neck of the woods, unless you count when the Duggars come to be on GMA. However, my fundie interactions seem to happen primarily via facebook- I have 2 friends who have married fundie Catholics and the online interactions are getting stranger and stranger. Two very, very creepy guys, married to once delightful women. Oh, and another friend who is hindu dated a fundie for a while- he was rather conflicted. He was CoC.

I think there needs to be more discussion of fundie Catholics- I find them the creepiest of all. Not sure why- maybe it's because my family was at one point nominally Catholic, so some of it seems familiar then veers into crazy-town. And because they are the most fired up about abortion and EVERYSINGLETHING has to be turned into a referendum on abortion. And because they are hard to spot- unless you are in mass and see someone veiled, you can't really spot them on the street.

Lots of FLDS here in south-east BC - they are often in the Walmart in the one small city we have here and the thrift stores. I don't know why they frequent the thrift stores so often, as they make their own clothes out of the same patterns that I'm sure their grandmothers used... including clothing for younger boys. Only older boys and men get store-bought clothing.

:lol: "fundy-lings"

All I can picture is frumper-dressed ducklings! :animals-duckie: :animals-duckie: :animals-duckie: :animals-duckie:

I move to add this term to the official FJ dictionary.

I am flattered, LizzieB. :)

Guest Anonymous

Two of those long vans full of duggaroos. It was home school day at the county fair, oh and you got in free. Well they were only allowed to see the animals and their view of rides and kids activities were blocked by adults. One group was boys and girls under 12. The other group were teens, 13-16. One of the little boys could see into an activity area that is super for kids, science and hands on stuff, no charge to build a bat box. Anyhow this poor kid did not want to watch a milking goat judging and irritated his keeper. The male keeper handed him a piece of paper the size of a note card and told him he could not speak again until he memorized the written bible quote.

We have duggarites here as well as Mennonites. These were not Mennonites. Our duggarites sport these weird decals on the rear windows of their vans, almost like stick figures, mommy daddy and then a bazillion kids. Kinda like the hash marks on bomber noses during WW2.

Two of those long vans full of duggaroos. It was home school day at the county fair, oh and you got in free. Well they were only allowed to see the animals and their view of rides and kids activities were blocked by adults. One group was boys and girls under 12. The other group were teens, 13-16. One of the little boys could see into an activity area that is super for kids, science and hands on stuff, no charge to build a bat box. Anyhow this poor kid did not want to watch a milking goat judging and irritated his keeper. The male keeper handed him a piece of paper the size of a note card and told him he could not speak again until he memorized the written bible quote.

We have duggarites here as well as Mennonites. These were not Mennonites. Our duggarites sport these weird decals on the rear windows of their vans, almost like stick figures, mommy daddy and then a bazillion kids. Kinda like the hash marks on bomber noses during WW2.

That is just mean to do to a kid. First not to let him enjoy something safe, fun and a learning expirence and then punish him with something he should be taught to enjoy. Now I understand why some former Christians turn away from God.

We have those sick figure decals here too but mostly it's the soccer mom* types who have them. * Any soccer moms in the group don't flame me but I mean the streotypical ones, not cool fjians.

Guest Anonymous

I should also mention I live behind the Big Green Curtain in Boregonia under the Rainbow Flag. Unfortunately Hubbyman and I had to buy in redneckville where these creatures abound (5 next door and counting). Ergo I flaunt my age and can act like a stupid elder when I'm stalking their behavior in a public space. Usually I only observe them in the big vans. Hey we're retired, its cheap entertainment for me. Hubby is only slightly embarassed, but he dodders so well.

I don't know why someone would buy a gray wig but wig shops are full of them.

Probably because many older women undergoing chemo want to look as much like their "usual" selves as possible.

We have those stick figure decals here too but mostly it's the soccer mom* types who have them. * Any soccer moms in the group don't flame me but I mean the streotypical ones, not cool fjians.

I see a lot of those decals around here, and it IS just like you said. Not a fundy thing around here.

I ran into a faux-Jew a couple weeks ago at work. He was rather annoying, actually. First, he was trying to invite me to faux-Judaism, and second, he would not beleive that I am a caucasian american!!! Our conversation went something like this---

I noticed that you're wearing a hijab. WHere are you from?

me- I'm american

him- Where are your parents from?

me- They're american too.

him-what about your grandparents?

me- My family is American, sir. My family has been in this country since the 1800's, and my ancestors came here from Sweden in the 1800's.

Him- and where were they from before they went to Sweden?

me--I'M FUCKING CAUCASIAN, MAN!!! WHY IS THAT SO DAMN HARD TO BELEIVE!!!!!!! I AM NOT ARAB!!!!!!!!! :evil: (ok, I may not have actually said that last bit, but whatever. )

Annoying. I couldn't tell if his wife was wearing a wig or if it was her real hair (i'm gonna say real hair, why would anyone buy a grey wig??) but she was wearing a frumper!!!!

Why do you wear a hijab?

I live in central PA. We see lots of born-into-its (various Amish, Mennonite, etc.) around here. I am from North Dakota, that had a large population of Hutterites (it was me that gave the story about my BIL being propositioned to add genetic material to the group, and yes, it really happened so don't start telling me it didn't again because it did*). I used to live in WI where there were also a lot of Amish, but the Amish there were more skittish than the Amish here. Here they are used to us, and will occasionally make small talk at the store, smile at children, etc. They've been completely unthreatening in my experience, but I am a SAHM of 2 beautiful little girls, so it's hard for people to be angry at me when they see my darling babies. :) I do have short hair and wear collarbone bearing clothing, however, so I'm not exempt from judgement.

Since I live in a primarily college town, it's actually a pretty liberal area. I love that. Most of my friends think like I do, and the ones that don't have generally learned to play nice. :D

*Also: my MIL just told me she had 2 kids AT HER SCHOOL that SHE TAUGHT named Oranjello and Lemonjello. No shi*. I just about fell over; thought it was just an urban myth. But she actually knew these poor children.

Why do you wear a hijab?

Simpl answer- because I'm Muslim and it's required in Islam.

Longer answer--see here----http://islamic-world.net/sister/hijab_in_quran.htm

Saw a fundie family at Olive Garden a while back but kept forgetting to post about it. Only 3 or 4 kids, but all the girls were in skirts (and sneakers of course).

I grew up in a wealthy, but conservative, part of Kansas, so I see a lot of whackdoodles, but they're incognito. HOWEVER, the best place to run into dressed up, obvious fundies, is the local Whole Foods. The last time I was there with my mom, there was a family of eight-ish, the boys all in polo shirts tucked in to out of style jeans/khakis, and the girls in shin-length skirts, American flag tee-shirts, and keds with socks. And looooong braids. Total fundies.

I also live in a neighborhood with a lot of Orthodox Jews, and while they're not as disturbing to me as Christian fundies, the dress and gender roles and ideals tend to upset me a little. My next door neighbors are very very orthodox, and while I work at the local Jewish Community Center as a camp counselor (and my camp shirt says so), I don't think they'd like me much.

BTW, I do have a fundie friend on FB. She's someone I sort of knew in high school, and went to the same college as me for her Art degree. She was the leader of the HS kick line (ie short skirts and spandex!) and actually did a really, really good job with it. Very smart, talented, leader type. Seeing her posts now is fascinating for me. Her kids (4, and she's 38 or 39, so idk if she's QF) are cute. Girls wear long culottes, idk what she wears. No pics below the waist. Plenty of anti-gay marriage stuff on her page. Fave books are the KJB and the Pearl Helpmeet book.

She posted a youtube video a while back of a terrible Muslim street singer in France, and a guy at a cafe on his phone who got up and whacked the guy with a chair. (!!!) Commented how she thought the French were so "tolerant". I had to tell her more because I've lived there and am more familiar with the culture, attitude towards Muslims, etc. What she didn't realize is the guy who did the whacking was also likely Muslim (based on looks, but he definitely was of North African descent.) She just commented that it was "interesting", and then it got into a discussion on all those evil French women who refused to have babies!!! Because obviously that was the reason French society is in decline!!! ??? This became quite a long discussion, and at the end, she really couldn't or wouldn't continue to defend her position. Hate to muddy up the waters with actual facts and insights...

But it's kind of fun to watch her. And she does always say nice things about my kids.

There is this fundie girl who goes to my college, that is pretty secular. I keep seeing her in the science building (shocking) but she's always with some guy. At first, I thought boyfriend/girlfriend but then I realized they were siblings. Nothing out of the ordinary but they were always together so I just assumed that they were taking same classes, which I've seen some people do. About a week ago, I was waiting outside of my classroom, waiting for the professor to show up, when I saw them walking again. They stopped at the room across from my room and the girl and guy were staring inside the room for a while until her brother pointed to an area in the lecture hall. The girl walked in and sat on the second row, beside two girls who looked "normal" and the guy sat outside of the room, right in front of the window on the door. What was interesting was that the class itself wasn't a full class, plenty of empty spots, but he picked out a row where there two girls, covered up in a jacket, for his sister to sit. He just sat outside and would look at his phone but then right up to the window. It was the most interesting thing I have ever seen in my life.

Sort of fundamentalist don't you think?

No, more like following my religion the way I feel it out to be followed. Believe me, I am no fundamentalist.

No, more like following my religion the way I feel it out to be followed. Believe me, I am no fundamentalist.

Understood. BTW, people who are afraid of Islam probably have never met a muslim in their life. Most are beautiful human beings.

Weird one-because it was at the natural history museum in D.C. (evolution central). Mom and six kids, baby to pre-teen. Girls in long skirts or prairie dresses, little boy in overalls. One girl was named Ruth and one of the boys was Joshua. Mom was carrying the baby and looking zoned out. The oldest girls were running the show, telling the little ones not to touch stuff, pushing the stroller, and keeping everyone together. One of the older girls was trying to get everyone together for a picture and ran up to mom, but instead of actually speaking to mom, she just pulled on the baby's leg and told him to come get in the picture. At no point did I see the mom speak to any of the children, or any of the children speak to mom.

Understood. BTW, people who are afraid of Islam probably have never met a muslim in their life. Most are beautiful human beings.

OK, this is an example of questionable troll-like behavior. This made my BP go up. Sunnichick, thankfully, answered you very graciously. However, wearing a hijab doesn't make you a fundamentalist any more than wearing frumpers. There are lots of lovely ladies on this board who dress à la fundie simply due to comfort. And your attempt to smooth the waters was clumsy at best, very Pete Campbell.

Watch it.

And knock it off with the super long quotes. If you want to respond, just quote the relevant sentence. The rest is just annoying.

• 1 year later...

At my food co-op there are several skirts only, homeschooling families. I sometimes overhear them talking about blogs we discuss here and I'm always tempted to say, "oh, I read that one too." I think they'd fall over from shock!

We all help out unloading the truck, and at the last delivery I spotted a family who seemed extremely fundie, even compared to the "regulars" I see. The daughter was dressed in a prairie style dress that went to the neck, ankles, and wrists, very similar to an FLDS dress. There was an older boy, and a father there too.

With the father were two African American boys that I assume were adopted. They each held on to one of the dad's pockets and stayed right in step with him the whole time he was helping to unload. To the truck, turn, drop off a box, turn, back, and so on. I can't imagine how many hours of "training" that took to coordinate all three of them with nobody crashing.

Nobody in the family spoke, and the girl kept her distance from everyone one else. The whole thing seemed so controlling and sad. I imagine the dad is a fan of both the Pearls and the Maxwells.

I grew up in a wealthy, but conservative, part of Kansas, so I see a lot of whackdoodles, but they're incognito.

Yeah, I live in a similar (if not the same) area. Had a cousin who homeschooled his 5 kids... they all dressed as normal as anyone, shorts for the girls, cute clothes, but I was at his house for a function once and the chalk board in the basement/classroom was featuring the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse... and apparently his kids were all in some pretty deep fundie youth groups (which I learned from the oldest boy's "Why I'm an Atheist" blog. But you can't tell by looking, and all of their kids and kids spouses have real university degrees and work or have worked in nursing, engineering, as CPAs, etc, several have advanced degrees (again, from "real" schools) So I get whackadoodles who are incognito.

I work in an office park near the county seat-- and the more "out in the county" the more of the fire baptised holiness types or AOG, from appearances. Less frumpy than maybe a bit over dressed for Walmart on a sunday afternoon... dress, maybe suit, heels, make up -- But, hair that would make Marge Simpson swoon. High and swoopy and the teen girls wearing the "training" version of the same, sort of like an advanced variation of Sara Palin's do.

There is an Apostolic Church down the road from my house and until today I had no idea they were fundie. About a month ago I went to the only dentist in town as a new patient to get my teeth cleaned. He spent 2 hours witnessing to me and reading Titus 2. He was so damn nice I just sat there like a bump on a pickle and politely listened. I had noticed a picture of him with his family and they had I think 6 kids and my spidey sense tingled, but I had no idea what I was in store for. I got some looks from the waiting patients when I was leaving cause it was an open exam area and a small office and they had to have heard what was being talked about. Had another apt this week, but postponed some much needed dental work cause I just didn't want a repeat. My DH went last week and he had a regular dental experience so maybe it won't happen again. Maybe I'll just mention FJ next time and that will shut him down? I'm such a liar. I avoid confrontation, so I'll probably just sit there again doing my pickle bump impression. I live in a super small town in AR and the closest other dentist is over the mountain and I can't drive that far. Heights give me vertigo. I'm screwed. Weirdly fascinated, but screwed.

We were in Williamsburg, VA for new year, and at our motel free breakfast one morning I got the ultimate fundy experience. Family of 10, frumpers galore, small children running screaming and climbing everywhere, bus with homeschooling and anti abortion stickers all over it. I was fascinated.

The most interesting thing I witnessed though was the wife had her husband go buy her breakfast and coffee, an she sat and ate it while her kids and husband all had to help themselves to free breakfast - older girls helping younger siblings and serving the boys while momma stuffed her face with a chicken sandwich and some cinnamon rolls. It was a very Duggar experience.

My husband thought I was nuts when I turned to him after breakfast and said "did you see that? Real live Fundies!"

I grew up in rural Illinois. A fundy family moved in down the road from us when I was younger. There were 13 kids in the family and they were all home schooled. The girls all wore long dresses and were not allowed to play. We may have corrupted them :roll: In the 25 years they have lived by my parents we have talked to them maybe 10 times. But we do cyber stalk their family website just for kicks.

Archived