IGNORED

Abby M got a "balance" bike for her birthday....

Justme

Do you think the Maxwell younguns are allowed to have a childrens' bible? With pictures and easy-to-read stories? Are they KJV only?

I think KJV only. Maxwell and their ilk believe that children shouldn't have a watered down Bible and they need to learn the language.

They gave her a bike with 4 wheels, but they just wanted a fancy name for that :lol:

I didn't know what a balance bike was, so I looked it up in google. It has 2 wheels, just no pedals or gears. I'm not sure I see a benefit over training wheels but maybe I'm missing something.

I didn't know what a balance bike was, so I looked it up in google. It has 2 wheels, just no pedals or gears. I'm not sure I see a benefit over training wheels but maybe I'm missing something.

Well, when I was little I had a 4 wheel bike. Then, after a while, I took off one of the wheels and when I could mantain my balance in 3 wheels I took another one. That was how I learned to ride a bike :D

Do a lot of children have trouble with the training wheels to no training wheels thing? I just took them off when I noticed that the kid did not use them, like they were always not touching or barely touching the ground. I have to say, though, that my 1 1/2 year old would love something like this because he just is not that into a tricycle.

I had a horrible time going from training wheels to a proper bike. Because bikes require you to balance, and training wheels don't...so they're not really training you for that part. I also always have horrible balance. A balance bike definately would have helped me learn far more.

I had a horrible time going from training wheels to a proper bike. Because bikes require you to balance, and training wheels don't...so they're not really training you for that part. I also always have horrible balance. A balance bike definately would have helped me learn far more.

This. Many kids don't know how to turn the handlebars only a bit and properly lean into a turn to turn, because they're used to not needing to balance and being able to sit on the bike without moving at all.

So they start riding a regular bike and they will turn the handlebars too sharply without leaning, and fall. Then some kids are timid and they will get afraid, from that.

Kids probably learn either way but supposedly a lot of kids fall less if they start with the balance bike first, and just have better "form" from the start. When they're still at the "I can't even balance enough to glide at all for very long" stage, when they're on the balance bike they can just put their feet down.

I got on my Trek tonight for the first time in 2 years. It wasn't pretty :o Maybe I should have started with a balance bike. It's good I have the girl type bike because at 67 I would be totally unable to get on a boy's bike! :lol: I thought I was going to wipe out a few times. I only rode about 4 miles. I'll add a mile or two each day til I feel ready to get on the bike trail that goes over the river. You have to ride over an old RR trestle, I'm afraid I might fall in. I used to ride 15 to 20 miles a day but I was younger. I hate getting old.

Well, when I was little I had a 4 wheel bike. Then, after a while, I took off one of the wheels and when I could mantain my balance in 3 wheels I took another one. That was how I learned to ride a bike :D

I did the 4 to 3 to 2 thing as well. I don't think we had balance bikes back when I was learning to ride. These days I wonder if I'd do better with an adult trike? I love the big old bikes they now call strand cruisers with the big tires and no shifting. Just cruise along and enjoy the ride. :mrgreen:

Nathan seems to like fitness, so he is probably looking forward to bike rides as a family. I am glad Abby got something normal like a bike.

I went from trike to bike. I never had a bike with training wheels, but used to do the balance thing by myself. When I felt myself wobbling or falling, I would aim for the grass. I remember taking the bike partway up our laneway (on a hill) and gliding down. I eventually started to pedal and that was that.

I went from trike to bike. I never had a bike with training wheels, but used to do the balance thing by myself. When I felt myself wobbling or falling, I would aim for the grass. I remember taking the bike partway up our laneway (on a hill) and gliding down. I eventually started to pedal and that was that.

I tried to aim for grass/bushes/etc.

FWIW, blackberry bushes are NOT GRASS :lol:

I tried to aim for grass/bushes/etc.

FWIW, blackberry bushes are NOT GRASS :lol:

Nor is poison ivy :roll:

Nor is poison ivy :roll:

Hey, I just spotted some poison oak in my neighbor's yard, next to my blackberry bushes. Would you like to fall there?

Hey, I just spotted some poison oak in my neighbor's yard, next to my blackberry bushes. Would you like to fall there?

At my age I really don't want to fall anywhere :lol:

At my age I really don't want to fall anywhere :lol:

Actually, I went and pulled the stuff out of my neighbor's yard just now, I don't react to poison oak, and she's not there full time so since it took off so fast to start, I figured it was better to get it out now.

I prefer a nice soft bed of gravel for my falling needs.

Guest Anonymous

The Maxwells live in regular suburban-style Leavenworth, yeah. Just on a street with houses and garages and lots of cars. The "compound" such as it is is just a few houses that happen to be on the same block, but it's just regular suburbia. I know others here (I see mastercleaner among them) have details on just which house is where - it's a total of 4 houses they have now I think, one for each non-reversal son, one for the main Steve-O family, and one for the grandparents.

We're not allowed to put address details on here, but if you look on Titus2.com, you can find the Maxwell's address and have a look on google maps to see what it looks like. By searching the archive you can also find their previous address, which now belongs to Christopher and Anna, and which backs onto the new Maxwell compound. Grandma and Gigi live in the smaller house next door to C & A, and Nathan lives across the road. If you look on Google Earth you can then see an ariel view of all four houses. We did this once and someone posted photos, but I think the current rules would prohibit that now.

I think KJV only. Maxwell and their ilk believe that children shouldn't have a watered down Bible and they need to learn the language.

I can picture Steve-O setting fire to a bunch of childrens' Bibles.

Archived