IGNORED

Test your vocabulary.

Swamptribe

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30,700 for me - seems to be about 8 years ahead of my actual age. I wonder why they ask you specifically if you read fiction. I read all the time but it's not usually fiction.

39,700. I ran into dozens I'd never seen before, and now I feel stupid.

29,700. Slightly above average for my age group, but with all the words I didn't know, I want to go back and look up their definitions.

That was fun! My score was 37,200, the average for my age is 25,027. A lot of the less common words are historical which would explain me doing well...

I supposedly have a vocabulary of 33,700 words. Right smack in the middle for my age group. Wonder how the Duggars and other ATI folks would do? Which is one reason I posted it here, wondering if any lurkers would take the challenge.

http://www.testyourvocab.com/

Interesting survey and figured I'd help 'em out by posting a link.

My estimated vocabulary size is 36,900 words. Those far-right column words were tricky!

35,500 here, but I have read WAY to much classic english lit in my life...which to me is a good thing!! Oh, and I am also old, well oldish at darn near 49!!

M.

43,700. Eh, I'm that person who seeks out what the hell an aglet is (the plastic or metal tip of a shoelace) and flips through dictionaries for fun just because it's fun to learn obscure words and for playing Words wit Friends and Scrabble. I think it's less important to know more words than it is to know how to use the words you know to accurately express yourself. As I understand it, some complete languages have fewer than 30,000 words in total, yet have no problem with expression. The English language has a lot of synonyms. And so we really needs words like "defenestrate" when it's just as day to say you're going to throw someone through a window? Yes, that means the act of throwing through a window.

What a fun test! 39,800 for me. About 7,500 above the average for my age. Voracious reading from early childhood on, particularly older novels with words we don't often see these days (i.e., 'defenestrate' :lol: ) is the reason, I suppose. :techie-studyinggray:

What a fun test! 39,800 for me. About 7,500 above the average for my age. Voracious reading from early childhood on, particularly older novels with words we don't often see these days (i.e., 'defenestrate' :lol: ) is the reason, I suppose. :techie-studyinggray:

Ooooh I love using defenestrate!

About 8,000 words above my age group. Not terribly surprising, I've always tested high in vocabulary. I doubt I could spell half the words on the second page though :x a big vocabulary does you no good unless you can apply it.

I think they asked you if you read a lot of fiction because one of the places you come'd across the more dated words is historical fiction.

Ooooh I love using defenestrate!

It's such a fun word to say out loud. "If this computer doesn't stop acting up on me, it's getting defenestrated!" :lol:

It's such a fun word to say out loud. "If this computer doesn't stop acting up on me, it's getting defenestrated!" :lol:

Word wealth, gotta love it. But I had a lonely childhood and loved reading dictionaries.

I've got 25,300 which is well above the 2,500-9,000 vocabulary that non-native English speakers average on. But I did just spend a year in Edinburgh.

33,200. Some are pretty obscure! Some are quite British in flavour too, which might have helped my score.

37 thou (or was it 35? Serious short-term memory suckage here.)

My father routinely gave us vocab tests when we were growing up. I hated it when I missed a word, took the test a couple of years down the road and remembered missing it but not the definition. :lol:

36,600. The average for age 67 is 32,001. My SAT scores are long since forgotten but, as I remember, they were average. My nursing boards though, 98th percentile. That's more important than high SAT verbal scores.

English is my fourth language, I'm okay with that. :)

Wow! What are your other languages?

I got 37,900, and an intense curiosity about the ones I didn't know! :lol:

English is my fourth language, I'm okay with that. :)

That's amazing! Well done. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Wow! What are your other languages?

Well, I'm Belgian (Flemish) so we get five languages at school mainly because nobody speaks ours. I speak Dutch/Flemish, (Flemish is kind of a Dutch dialect), French, German, English, Spanish, and some Danish, Swedish and Hebrew. I also read Latin and Ancient Greek but mainly because I'm a nerd and like learning semi-useless things. :)

Archived