IGNORED

Test your vocabulary.

Swamptribe

I supposedly have a vocabulary of 33,700 words. Right smack in the middle for my age group. Wonder how the Duggars and other ATI folks would do? Which is one reason I posted it here, wondering if any lurkers would take the challenge.

http://www.testyourvocab.com/

Interesting survey and figured I'd help 'em out by posting a link.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As Calvin once said, “verbing weirds language.â€

This was quoted on the sidebar. :D I wish fundies would take it to heart.

27,600. I felt really smart before I got to the far-right columns. : )

If I had to guess, this would be one thing that would decrease across generations who want to homeschool without aiming for higher education. How much vocabulary are future homemakers encouraged to have, despite the fact that they will be guiding the next generation?

22,600 words. Pretty bad for a 21yo, but can be attributed to dropping out of HS at 17.

30,400.... I read a lot (well, I used to read a lot) and I when I was teaching school, I used a vocabulary word of the day with my students and we also had an extensive vocabulary/spelling program in our curriculum. I also love the National Spelling Bee... it was the highlight of my week.

33,100 - just a bit above my age group. Michelle Duggar is my age. Wonder how she'd fare? PER-PEN-DI-CU-LAR wasn't on the vocabulary test.

33,100 - just a bit above my age group. Michelle Duggar is my age. Wonder how she'd fare? PER-PEN-DI-CU-LAR wasn't on the vocabulary test.

... bankruptcy wasn't on there either. J'Chelle would be screwed.

34,700 , I give the credit to how much I have always read, seeing that most of those words don't come up in common conversation (but I love a lot of the words! I do say "trollop" quite often :dance: )

Oh, I have to throw in (because I do think it is in the interest of the conversaion) that I was homeschooled, but not a SOTDRT style. My mother was an English/education double major (dropped out with a semester and a half to go to get married to that jack-ass I had to call "dad").

29 800. I said that I was a native speaker, but I my home language growing up wasn't English and I didn't go to school in English. But I did live in a country where English was one of the official languages, I married an english man, and I moved to a country where people are predominantly speak English. I also speak only English at home now. Not altogether bad.

I guess I should add that we are not ATI, but we homeschool and I guess we would be considered fundie lite. I'll ask some of my kids if they want to take the test once they get home from their various activities.

Was is interesting to note is that those statistics do not hold true for the average American:

"However, note that these average vocabulary sizes of our respondents are significantly higher than those of the overall population at large. How do we know this? Because our American participants' self-reported verbal SAT scores hover at around a constant 700 (out of 800 maximum) at all applicable age levels, while the median score of SAT test-takers is only 500. And these test-takers themselves are a more educated subset of the American population as a whole. To put things in perspective, it has been estimated that if the whole US population took the verbal SAT, it would have a median verbal score of around 350. Our average respondent's verbal SAT score of 700 places him or her in the 95th percentile among SAT takers, and above the 99th percentile in the American population as a whole. This means that the average American's vocabulary size would be significantly lower than the chart above shows."

34,500, which apparently is roughly 8000 higher than the average for my age. I put it down to having read voraciously ever since I first learned to read. :D

43,800. But I am a total geek who has spent most of her life reading, a word fanatic, and also a Classics graduate, so anything with a Latin or Greek derivation goes in and comes out understood and with synonyms.

I forgot the meanings of two - I'm off to look them up.

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 28,100 words. I'm 29.

http://testyourvocab.com/?r=1875514

Mine is a bit skewed though. Because of brain issues, I frequently have to look up words I used to know. And then look them up yet again when I've forgotten them. :lol: Yet another reason Kindle is such a marvelous device! :bow-yellow: I used to be a wordy writer, but I guess my word knowledge is still somewhat above average, so that's good I guess.

This was fun, thanks for posting it. I, too, would be really interested to see some fundie/SOTDRT results!

26,000 words. I loved how one of the words was tool and my first thought was "Oh, like how Doug Phillips is a tool" I know that word :D

26,000 words. I loved how one of the words was tool and my first thought was "Oh, like how Doug Phillips is a tool" I know that word :D

GMTA that's exactly what I thought. :lol:

I had to take the test twice though, since my internet died right before I got my results the first time, and I think I would have gotten better results with that go around. Still, it's a few thousand more words than the average person from my age knows.

31900. The last column on the second page was killer. I admit I'm not as much of a reader as I should be....probably due to too much time spent on FJ!

That was fun! Thanks for posting it. It seems I know 45,000 words. But I did score 800 on the verbal portion of the SAT, back in the day. I kill at Fictionary. There are some words I don't know, but damn few I can't at least guess. Familiarity with etymology helps a lot.

Archived