IGNORED

This Homophobe Brings the Crazy!

muffynbear

According to this article, her name is Jane Svoboda. She is schizophrenic, lives in assisted care and has a conservator because she can't manage her own affairs.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt- ... mode=story

Her brother Patrick is upset because he thinks you should be able to tell she's mentally ill. The problem is that there are people out there who are not schizophrenic, not mentally ill and they spout very near the same crap as poor Jane here.

BTW, the guy behind her is hilarious. I want to see his response to this.

Here's one woman's response to this.

youtube.com/watch?v=-j0fNv2bAmE&feature=youtu.be

That is the woman who was sitting next to the guy in the black shirt and glasses. I imagine that she, and some others who didn't react while CBPL was talking, know that the woman is not well and chose to just wait it out.

Five minutes can feel like a really long time, though.

ETA: I got a very Taryn-esque vibe from her, as well, Sunni.

I know the woman is mentally ill. However, don't you think the city council should be barring her from speaking if she's going to use hate speech? What if I were a member of her targeted groups? Why do I have to tolerate that in a government forum? I hope they had their lawyers check it all out.

I'm not sure if they could bar her from speaking. It would probably go against the 1st amendment for sure, and probably 1/2 of the rest of the Bill of Rights and constitution.

Lincoln seems to draw many people with mental and physical disabilities. Many government and social services are based out of Lincoln. In the many rural communities throughout the state there just aren't the resources to take care of these people, so they usually end up in Lincoln at some point. Not to mention the flagship campus of the University is in Lincoln.

Because of it, I think people in Lincoln have a high tolerance for a lot of crazy. I live in Chicago now, and I feel like I run into a lot less "unusual" than I did living in Lincoln.

I'm not sure if they could bar her from speaking. It would probably go against the 1st amendment for sure, and probably 1/2 of the rest of the Bill of Rights and constitution.

But she has a conservator and can't manage her own affairs. The argument could be made that she has no idea what's coming out of her mouth, and it's quite inflamatory so preventing her from speaking in front of the city council is for her own protection.

Part of me wants to laugh and the other part wants to cry. It's worth watching just for the reaction of the audience. NSFW! Not for the faint of heart.

:shock:

nMANMIe0ZZI

I watched this with the sound off, so I'm not going to say a word about that, but I just wanted to pipe in and say that the audience reactions are FANTASTIC! Particularly the dark haired man at the front....the first time he facepalmed, I laughed out loud, lol.

But she has a conservator and can't manage her own affairs. The argument could be made that she has no idea what's coming out of her mouth, and it's quite inflamatory so preventing her from speaking in front of the city council is for her own protection.

Good point. I suppose if the city council really wanted to, they could use that argument (still might be a little sketchy in terms of whether it'd be legal or not, though). I think that if she's that off her rocker, anyone who regularly goes to CC meetings would know it and probably wouldn't care too much about what she says.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I am at the point, as a queer person, where I ignore 99% of news stories about LGBTQA issues (and I say this as a diehard news junkie) because I just cannot cope with the anger and disgust that I feel. I wish nutjobs like this would just GO AWAY.

(sorry if this wasn't very coherent, the rage is making my brain shut down)

Check out some stories about Argentina's recent gender identity law. They're sure to give you hope for the world perhaps someday accepting LGBTQetc. people as they are without any fuss.

According to this article, her name is Jane Svoboda. She is schizophrenic, lives in assisted care and has a conservator because she can't manage her own affairs.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt- ... mode=story

Her brother Patrick is upset because he thinks you should be able to tell she's mentally ill. The problem is that there are people out there who are not schizophrenic, not mentally ill and they spout very near the same crap as poor Jane here.

I saw this video at another site, preparing myself to get steaming mad. But I soon realized this woman is very mentally ill, and I felt nothing but compassion for her. Mental illness is so hearbreaking and so misunderstood. I'm glad she's in assisted living, and I hope she has family to help her out.

But you are so right, mirele. There are people out there who are not mentally ill and they do spout off this crap about gay people. Now those people make me stabby! :evil:

Since many people can't immediately tell she's not mentally ill, it says something about the non mentally ill people who say pretty much the exact same crap. I wish one of them would look at this and think *Hmmm, my views sound just like a schizophrenic person who doesn't have control over herself, maybe there's something wrong with that* I feel bad for that woman, but it makes me even more mad that the stuff she's saying doesn't even necessarily make someone mentally ill anymore.

I have never understood what logic non-mentally ill people find in these arguments. According to her all BGLTQ people are dead by 40 if not before, and it seems that most of them are dead before 40 since rimming leaves you dead in 30 minutes. So if you're dead 30 minutes after rimming, then its like the plague in 28 Days. All BGLTQ folks would be dead in a matter of hours.

I once had a library patron (different locale from where I work now) who could have been this woman's twin. Paranoid schizophrenic, unmedicated, living in her own reality, and a consistent behavioral challenge for me and my staff. She was also a regular attendee at city council meetings, where she would demand and get time on the agenda. These are the folks who are most in need of competent, compassionate social and psychiatric services.

I once had a library patron (different locale from where I work now) who could have been this woman's twin. Paranoid schizophrenic, unmedicated, living in her own reality, and a consistent behavioral challenge for me and my staff. She was also a regular attendee at city council meetings, where she would demand and get time on the agenda. These are the folks who are most in need of competent, compassionate social and psychiatric services.

This!!!

Her mental illness is obvious to me and I feel nothing but compassion for her. It would suck to be suffering from a disability and have people hate you and mock you for the things you say. I would have turned off the video about 30 seconds in but the reactions of the guy over her shoulder make it pretty hilarious.

Besides discrimination against gays, Nebraska has over the past several years cut funding for the mentally ill. She's likely NOT getting the help she needs.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_a89cc9c4-f064-5515-9dde-d0dae1f94a73.html

http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_102fca8e-2e9b-5251-9eaf-73f86efb9532.html

It's really sad.

But I must admit, I nearly peed myself with laughter when she said this line:

Anus licking causes sepsis.

Mainly, I feel pity for her. Delusional beliefs are generally influenced by the environment. You don't get too many Buddhists who claim to be Jesus. Her comments say more about the people around her than anything else.

the sweet little old lady in the flowery dress was holding it together pretty well until she got to the bit about Hillary Clinton being lesbian (2:40ish).

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

I am at the point, as a queer person, where I ignore 99% of news stories about LGBTQA issues (and I say this as a diehard news junkie) because I just cannot cope with the anger and disgust that I feel. I wish nutjobs like this would just GO AWAY.

(sorry if this wasn't very coherent, the rage is making my brain shut down)

Exactly the same for me. LGBT and I get too furious and indignant every time I see news items like that, so I'll be skipping this one.

Archived