IGNORED

Law may force Mississippi's only abortion clinic to close

MamaJunebug

http://jezebel.com/5899251/new-mississi ... c-to-close

Heard about this briefly yesterday. You know... back in the day I would listen to people like Todd Wilken of Issues, Etc., insist that abortion was the gateway activity into a "culture of death" in which the old and infirm would be fair game for "mercy" killings and the young would be abducted off the streets and murdered and their healthy organs harvested for profit.

While I still think there is plenty of danger in an entirely utilitarian view of life,

and I still hope that abortion remains legal even as it becomes increasingly rare,

I can no longer believe that the Mississippi law, and others like it, are anything but a gateway activity toward the eventual goal of taking human rights from women.

The fight must continue and in my feeble way, I'm fighting in it.

Sad part is they think this will mean pregnancies in Mississippi won't be terminated, which will not be the case. Those with the means will travel to other states to get abortions, those without will try other, more dangerous methods that could kill the woman and/or the fetus.

Sad part is they think this will mean pregnancies in Mississippi won't be terminated, which will not be the case. Those with the means will travel to other states to get abortions, those without will try other, more dangerous methods that could kill the woman and/or the fetus.

All the states bordering Mississippi have 24 hour waiting periods, so I think this will result in even more dangerous at-home abortions than it would if this happened someplace else. I hope the people fighting for the clinic find a legal challenge to the law.

All the states bordering Mississippi have 24 hour waiting periods, so I think this will result in even more dangerous at-home abortions than it would if this happened someplace else. I hope the people fighting for the clinic find a legal challenge to the law.

That's what I was thinking of when I said those who have the means - in this case, means includes two free days from work, childcare for the kids at home, money for gas, food and lodging (just got an idea for a short film about an abortion related road trip). Given the poverty in Mississippi, I'm sure the forced birthers think they'll be saving babies. I expect they'll just be indirectly responsible for the deaths of pregnant women attempting to abort at home.

I wouldn't be surprised if women start trying to get Mifeprex online or stockpiling it from other sources. I know it's generally considered safe if taken within the right time period, but I hate to think of a woman suffering at home, alone and afraid, if something goes wrong.

But you're both absolutely right. This won't reduce abortions, and no legislation ever could.

I wouldn't be surprised if women start trying to get Mifeprex online or stockpiling it from other sources. I know it's generally considered safe if taken within the right time period, but I hate to think of a woman suffering at home, alone and afraid, if something goes wrong.

But you're both absolutely right. This won't reduce abortions, and no legislation ever could.

It's not safe if you don't have follow-up care. And if it's illegal to DIY (which it is in most places), you're not going to get follow-up care.

I vaguely remember a case where there was a challenge to an anti-abortion law due to making it too difficult for women to actually get the abortion. Does anyone know the specifics of this or if it worked? Would it a possible challenge for this law?

edited for grammar

Lots of "borrowing" of methotrexate prescriptions in their future also. Sad. I grew up with the need for many teenage girls to have someone drive them to the next state over and pretend to be a guardian. Thankfully for them that was before super ID checks were done.

Archived