IGNORED

Jesus is not a homophobe

SpeakNow

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/0 ... ostpopular

Maverick Couch, a gay 16-year-old high school student in southwest Ohio, is suing his school district after the principal prohibited him from wearing a T-shirt declaring "Jesus Is Not a Homophobe."

Couch has been arguing with Waynesville High School since last April, when principal Randy Gebhardt first told Couch to turn his shirt inside out. Couch was observing Gay Lesbian & Straight Education Network's National Day of Silence, an annual event across the country when students spend a day in silence to call attention to bullying and harassment of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender teens in schools.

I don't understand why the shirt's message was considered offensive. If anything, it should have been seen as proChristian. Saying that Jesus did not hate or fear homosexuals is a positive message.

Maybe the principal was mad because he thinks Jesus IS a homophobe.

That is what I wondered. The principal must think that it is not offensive to have negative feelings toward homosexuals. Would he get upset if the shirt said, Jesus is not a racist?

I don't understand why the shirt's message was considered offensive. If anything, it should have been seen as proChristian. Saying that Jesus did not hate or fear homosexuals is a positive message.

This, but many people would rather think that Jesus hates the same people they hate than to think that he would actually love people who are different from them.

One thing I find sort of interesting is that there is a possibility that the centurion and his servant that Jesus healed in Matthew 8 & Luke 7 were actually a gay couple (based on the words used and the slang of the time - a regular servant was usually called doulos, but the word in both stories was pais, which was commonly used for a younger partner in a gay male relationship, which was very common in the Roman legions at the time). If that's true, then Jesus healed them without rebuking them or going into any sort of condemning them or their relationship.

This, but many people would rather think that Jesus hates the same people they hate than to think that he would actually love people who are different from them.

Yes. (Sub "Jesus" for "God" and we're talking about Orthodox Jews, too, although at least the latter have the benefit of scriptural support.) It's thoroughly sad/awful.

Initially I wondered if the school had a policy against shirts with any slogans but no article has mentioned that. As far as I know all of our local schools prohibit tee shirts with slogans, writing, and anything other than a tiny logo.

Archived