IGNORED

Male Contraceptive. Please tell me this is real

Swamptribe

Although I don't know if it is true or not, I've heard that companies are working on a male oral contraceptive.

How long until some conservative trys to ban this in the US?

Chances are that some conservative legislator is already drafting a ban on this.

How long until some conservative trys to ban this in the US?

That depends on whether or not a big pharmaceutical company decides to get involved. For example, if Pfizer is selling it, the politicians they've purchased will not dare go after the male contraceptive.

That depends on whether or not a big pharmaceutical company decides to get involved. For example, if Pfizer is selling it, the politicians they've purchased will not dare go after the male contraceptive.

I feel like it's too effective, and thus not that profitable. Not like they have to buy pills every month... 5 years is a long time!

As Stephen Colbert said in one of his past shows "A contraceptive for males is wrong because that would make men want to have sex." ;)

I feel like it's too effective, and thus not that profitable. Not like they have to buy pills every month... 5 years is a long time!

Good point. Ooooooo, I know, tie it in with a law for parolees or welfare recipients. Conservatives would line up to support this if it were required for every man accepting welfare benefits. Make it a condition of parole and you've got a huge market that will be forced to purchase this drug, making it profitable. ;)

I'm thinking back to when Norplant came out and there was talk of requiring it for women on WIC. The whole idea of forcing people to take birth control is unamerican, but that doesn't mean a law maker won't try it.

Oh, I saw it on Facebook a while ago, from a friend from Other-Forum.

It's so stupid how the only objection to it is "OH GOD SHARP OBJECT NEAR MY MAN PARTS," basically the only argument men have against vasectomies. Like, really? A lot of methods of birth control for women are just as bad, if not worse. Like, you know, tube-tying. Or inserting an IUD (which I hear is painful, depending on the woman). And the Depo-Provera shot, which comes with a host of other problems...and the implant (Norplant? I've also heard of Implanon, I need to check PP's site again) which requires MINOR SURGERY.

I could understand not doing it because of a fear of needles or a tendency to faint when pricked, but come on. I'd take a shot just about anywhere if it meant I wouldn't get pregnant. I imagine it would hurt, but hey, it'll last like... 2 seconds? Not like childbirth- vaginal or a freaking C-section.

Methinks the gentlemen do protest too much.

Back in the '70s, someone developed a removable tiny gold clamp that could temporarily close the vasa deferentia, but it got nowhere.

I've always thought it was a crime that we've been getting by on contraceptive methods that haven't essentially changed in over 40 years (female hormones, IUDs, temporary barrier methods). About time for something new to come along--and it seems to have come along something like 20 years ago, and is virtually unknown here in the US.

In the Comments section of one of the links Swamptribe provided, someone posited that men might lie about having had this procedure. Oh noes--no guy has ever lied about having had a vasectomy.

And everything Kitty said. I had scary-bad side effects from hormonal BC, and the idea of having an irritating doodad poked into my uterus makes me want to hurl. The only good thing about Ex-Mr.-Hane #2 was that he'd been vasectomized years before I met him.

That's one reason I love my husband. After watching all my problems with hormonal BC and my births, when we decided it was time, he didn't even flinch when it was time for the snip. Best thing ever.

I really hope this takes off in the States. Hell, I'll take DS to Canada to get it done when he's 14. It'd be a load off my mind knowing he couldn't get someone pregnant. [Of course, I am educating him on sexual health yadda yadda yadda]. He's also getting a Gardasil vaccine when he's 12.

The only reason this wouldn't take off is there's no way to make money off it. It's so inexpensive there's no way Big Pharma could make money on it.

The last I heard, a few months ago, it had just started human clinical trials. The inventor thought it would be effective for about 10 years or until reversed.

I'm really hoping it works and is out fairly soon, because all our other options suck.

Archived