IGNORED

Fundy pants!

Kitten

I was doing all the family laundry by 9. When I was in school the Family Studies teacher pulled me in front of the whole class to show properly ironed clothes. My mother ironed everything and expected me to eventually to take that over. I refused to iron pajamas, pillow cases etc. No way!

My son and daughter will know how to do all the chores equally well before they are grown. I hated that my brother never had to do anything while I had to do all this work. I was the girl. It serves them right he's 30 and still lives at home. Haha!

When I met my ex he was still living at home to "help" his mom. She cooked and cleaned for him, did his laundry etc...the only thing she didn't do was clean his room. When I moved in temporarily the first thing I did was clean his room. His method of cleaning was to shove stuff under his furniture. I happened to move the chair to sweep and mop under it and it was really hard to move and made a weird noise. I looked under it and it was completely packed with garbage. Oh the stuff I found! THen I figured I'd better look under the bed and it went from one side all the way to the wall, completely packed with compacted trash.

Once we married and moved into an apartment together I instantly took the place of his mother. I'd grown up taking care of my family so it was really not a big deal for me, but one thing was I was used to my family putting their own laundry away so I'd fold it, put it in the basket, and put that on his side of the bed. I thought he was putting it away until he started complaining about missing clothes and insisting that people were stealing our laundry. I looked in his closet and realized that all the hangers were pretty much empty and there was a pile of clothes about 1/3 up the wall. yeah, good wifey that I was I started putting his laundry away too.

I was working full time, going to school, and still taking care of 100% of the house.

There's a reason he's my ex.

My native Puerto Rican, conservative, Catholic fiance cooks (VERY well!), does dishes, laundry, cleans... and does the yard work, garbage, etc. He is actually the one who often thinks first about what everyone is eating, and prepares for it ahead of time. He does say that I do laundry better than he does LOL (it's true, btw :D )

He is also an engineer who often works long hours and has custody of his daughter.

We are preparing to move in together, and it's quite nice to know that I do not have to carry the burden of all the work.

My girls (11 and almost 17) do housework for their allowance, and my older DD does all her own laundry now. It's quite helpful, and I do believe it's important that they know how to clean, cook, and do laundry, as they will someday have to do all of their own.

my boyfriend encourages me to do yard work and help him with his construction projects. i've ripped up carpet, painted the walls and ceiling, helped him work on the roof, used a jigsaw and all sorts of other things i thought i would never do. now me actually WANTING to do most of those things is a different story...lol...but i love that he doesn't consider anything "women's work" or "men's work".

my boyfriend encourages me to do yard work and help him with his construction projects. i've ripped up carpet, painted the walls and ceiling, helped him work on the roof, used a jigsaw and all sorts of other things i thought i would never do. now me actually WANTING to do most of those things is a different story...lol...but i love that he doesn't consider anything "women's work" or "men's work".

We are currently remodeling fiance's house for the girls and I to move in - myself, my 16 yr old DD, and my sister have been (and will be) doing all of the priming/painting.

I have held a few studs in place for nailing, but hell - HE'S the engineer! :lol:

In the end I gave up and did them because it was her house, so her rules. But jeez the unexpected crazy was startling. HOW CAN YOU ASK A MAN TO DO THE DISHES???!?!?!

(Edited roughly a thousand times, as usual.)

tell him to get his ass in there and do them. Not real hard.

I didn't mean to suggest that all Evangelicals believe in gender stereotypes. Obviously your parents didn't/don't, but the truth is as I said, I never realized the extent that gender roles were still pervasive until I got involved with a Pentecostal church at about fourteen. This was about twelve or so years ago now, right in the thick of the 'Left Behind' craziness. It was where I now realize I first came into contact with the ideas of Christian patriarchy.

I didn't mean to suggest that that is what you suggested. I was simply laughing at how "Evangelical" covers such broad ground. And now that you've said Pentecostal that doesn't surprise me. My parents are Southern Baptists. Which is why I'm not the biggest fan of the word evangelical. I'm a pretty pedantic person, I like more specific, less broad words. Evangelical refers to any number of denominations that have quite varying theologies.

I'm territorial about the laundry. For one, my husband cannot be convinced that you don't wash everything in hot water and dry everything on the hottest setting. And no, it's not him playing dumb to get out of it. Once I learned he couldn't be broken of this I took over. And secondly, I'm the only one obsessed with using the clothesline whenever weather permits and I will get very pissy if clothes get put in the dryer instead. Our daughter, age 6, knows the gist of how to do it but I doubt it's a chore I'll make regular for her, even when she's tall enough to handle it without a step stool. Right now she dusts and keeps her bedroom and playroom picked up, and sometimes mops (though I may have to go over it again later, when she's at school or in bed. Don't want to hurt her feelings.)

But the hubs does do the bathroom cleaning, sewing, and ironing. The kiddo never considers asking me to mend something or sew a button back on. I'm a hot mess with a needle and thread.

Archived