IGNORED

What would you have done?

Burris

Valsa, you know something? When my friend died from domestic violence I had to take time off work and the reason for why got out. What amazed me however, when I got back to work, was the stories women came and quietly told me. Broken ribs, fleeing houses and abusive partners, hospital stays. It was difficult indeed to know what to say. And I was horrified to know these facts, that there was this huge undercurrent of violence. I had not known. I was stupid, I think. I was also so overwhelmed I didn't know what to say.

So I sympathise with trying to fill awkward gaps and TMI. Sometimes there is no answer.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't spent much time in hospitals, but are chaplains provided automatically, or do you have to request them? Honestly, the very last thing I would want if I were confronted with a tragic illness or death would be to have a chaplain ask me that question. What are they trained to do if the person answers "no?"

I'd imagine the right thing to do would be to say "would you like me to help you connect with one or could I help direct you to secular resources?'

Archived