IGNORED

Santorum compares 2012 election to Hitler/WW II

MandyLaLa

Politics, unfortunately, is a dirty field.

That said, I'm becoming concerned about Santorum's most current rants. His comparison of the 2012 campaign and Hitler worries me, but not for the reasons he hoped for. Santorum is scapegoating, much like Hitler did during his reign. Let's blame our problems, specifically moral, on the Democrats and especially President Obama. We all can rationally dismiss that, but what bothers me are the people that buy that rhetoric "hook, line and sinker". Sadly, I work with some of these people. Yes, they are intelligent and well educated, which makes the situation even worse.

I blew off Santorum, but now I'm going to keep an eye on him so hopefully I can refute (to his supporters) the drivel that comes out his mouth.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Santorum does not have a well-organized campaign. Part of it's money, of course, but aside from Iowa, he really didn't have a ground game ready to go. He’s benefiting from a far more complex situation.

Currently, there are three parts to the Republican party. The Establishment people, the well-to-do who are focused primarily on keeping taxes low for themselves and the corporations they hold stock in. The Libertarians, represented by Ron Paul, and the Fruit Cakes, represented by people like Santorum, Bachmann, etc.

This is really about Romney. In the olden days, he'd be the heir apparent, but the older, white, Tea Party and ultra-religious folks simply cannot stand him, they don't trust him (MASSACHUSETTS!) and they've been desperately trying to find an alternative.

Perry was the first one. But he turned out to be too stupid even for them to consider seriously.

Then it was Cain. Oops. Turns out he was philandering serial sexual harasser who really wasn't taking his own candidacy seriously. But he had a good time while the idiocy lasted.

Then it was Gingrich. Uh oh. They forgot he is one of the sleaziest, most despicable people on the planet.

Romney and Gingrich seemed to be the only alternatives for a little while. (The Establishment people and the Fruit Cakes don't consider Paul a Republican.) And then someone noticed the nerdy guy in the corner wearing the sweater vest.

It's a game of musical chairs and Santorum appears - at least for now - to have landed on the last chair. But he's not very bright. woefully unprepared for frontrunner status, and doesn't have the right people around him to whip him into shape. The establishment will do all they can to prop Romney up, but even though he's the best of the lot, he's still a weak candidate and Obama will mop the floor with him.

What to do? I think a brokered convention is a real possibility. I'd love Santorum to be the candidate - we'd have such fun - but I can't see the powers-that-be allowing it.

I keep hearing the name Jeb Bush come up... :violence-bomb:

I really don't see how they can sell a totally different nominee that comes out of the convention with just two months left. That's not going to fly with Independents and moderates who have watched this clown show going on for over the past year. I think Independents are going to feel that a year was enough time for the GOP to pick a nominee and it should have been done way before their convention.

I found this quote from Santorum

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/ ... ?mobile=nc

That sounds crazy.

I keep having to remind myself that outside of the extreme right wing of the Republican Party, no one would vote for Santorum.

True, but that might be enough for him to win the nomination. The only way I see to explain the Santorum surge is that mainstream Republicans are so disheartened by their options that they aren't bothering to vote or caucus.

I have absolutely no problem with Santorum winning the GOP nomination. Go Duggars go!

I really don't see how they can sell a totally different nominee that comes out of the convention with just two months left.

Desperation.

I still think Romney will get by with a little help from his friends. But if not, they would be better off with another well-known establishment candidate coming out of the blue than they would Santorum.

Obama would likely still win even if they did this, but I'm not positive Santorum could even carry Alabama and Mississippi. And I don't think they'd ever recover from an Obama sweep or near sweep. Would drive them right off the cliff. It would also hurt Republican Senate and House candidates.

Archived