IGNORED

Kirk Cameron and "Strict Female Rule"

Lady Elaine

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing about not being photographed alone with a woman? Does he not realize that folks are intelligent enough to know that a third person--the photographer--was there, too?

...one of Cameron's people reportedly quickly pushed Miller to prevent the photo (she has a blurry photo instead). ...

1 Peter 3:7: "Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel..."

OK, to be fair (not that he deserves it): The Cameron person who pushed Ms. Miller may have been a woman. Doesn't make it any better. But it makes it worse if the person were a man, don't you think? (I do.)

And I suppose that there's a difference between one's madonna-esque wife and just a working broad, in Cameron's distorted version of my beautiful religion.

Remember, all of you lurking seekers who are kinda-sorta ok with Doug Phillips: This is the kind of guy he adores and promotes. :naughty:

Did he even think about the possibility that a male he photographs with could be a F to M trans (or whatever else that would blow his mind)? A way to blow his stupid rule to bits. I doubt it has ever happened but what the hell I just like messing around with the weird shit that Kirk Cameron seems to do/like.

Just a stray illogical thought that walked through my brain while reading Hane's comment and refused to go away until I posted this. And for what it is worth I know a F to M who looks a lot like Dougie... at least what Dougie would have looked like 20 years ago. Lol.

1 Peter 3:7: "Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel..."

OK, to be fair (not that he deserves it): The Cameron person who pushed Ms. Miller may have been a woman. Doesn't make it any better. But it makes it worse if the person were a man, don't you think? (I do.)

And I suppose that there's a difference between one's madonna-esque wife and just a working broad, in Cameron's distorted version of my beautiful religion.

Remember, all of you lurking seekers who are kinda-sorta ok with Doug Phillips: This is the kind of guy he adores and promotes. :naughty:

Wait, what?? Give honor to your wife because she is a weaker vessel? That's your argument against what Kirk Cameron is doing? That "scripture" is as blatantly misogynist as refusing to pose alone with a woman.

Shewearsafunnyhat quoted scripture in this thread too. Aren't you both doing the same thing the fundies do, that is to claim that your way of interpreting the bible is better than anyone else's? Seems to me you and the fundies could throw scripture at each other all day and not accomplish anything, because it's all in the interpretation. I'd prefer to focus more on the human rights violations rather than whose book is better.

Billy Graham has this same rule about being photographed alone with a woman.

So, Kirk thinks he's like Billy Fucking Graham??? I don't think so.

Wait, what?? Give honor to your wife because she is a weaker vessel? That's your argument against what Kirk Cameron is doing? That "scripture" is as blatantly misogynist as refusing to pose alone with a woman.

Shewearsafunnyhat quoted scripture in this thread too. Aren't you both doing the same thing the fundies do, that is to claim that your way of interpreting the bible is better than anyone else's? Seems to me you and the fundies could throw scripture at each other all day and not accomplish anything, because it's all in the interpretation. I'd prefer to focus more on the human rights violations rather than whose book is better.

daelem - and experiencedd, not that you're reading this ;) - the quotes are for Cameron and anybody reading here who thinks Cameron's policy is perfectly fine, up to and including having his goons people physically shove a woman who's trying to do her job.

As to misogyny in that passage, it's not there, taken in context: the writer was communicating to men in a culture that truly devalued women and considered them almost unhuman. The writer was making the point that just because men tend to have the physical strength - and in that society, the economic and political strength - they are not to bully those with less strength, i.e., weaker.

ETA: Taken as a general rule for today's society, I still don't see the misogyny - women tend not to have body strength equivalent to men, thus it behooves men to refrain from strongarming and bullying and intimidating. "Weaker" in this case is not a pejorative, but a statement of fact.

~~~~~~~~~~~

..... That photo of his birthday, when i first saw it, made me feel sad for him: Nobody would even walk into the room with him??? But now, his "no photos" policy really explains it, doesn't it? The women could not be close enough to him to have left any possibility of the photo being 'shopped to show them together. What a lonely life he must lead. JMHO, of course.

Billy Graham has this same rule about being photographed alone with a woman.

Why? It is possible to take an innocent photo with a woman and not have it be twisted in anyway. Lots of men with careers in the public eye take photos with women and aren't accused of any impropriety.

The no female rule makes these men appear frightened of women. It certainly doesn't bring glory to their faith.

Why? It is possible to take an innocent photo with a woman and not have it be twisted in anyway. Lots of men with careers in the public eye take photos with women and aren't accused of any impropriety.

The no female rule makes these men appear frightened of women. It certainly doesn't bring glory to their faith.

Excellent point. It doesn't glorify anybody to have a working any woman shoved, either.

I have only recently realized (Thanks again, FJ'ers) that Kirk is a wack-a-doodle. What the heck is he so scared of? Defrauding his wife? Really? I for one would not want to be in the sort of marriage where either spouse can not even engage in normal/non sexual social activities with the opposite sex.

My thoughts exactly. Further evidence that it is the fundies of the world (of all religious stripes!) that are truly the ones obsessed with sex.hnt5dr (kid typing), not the heathen feminist secular liberals. There are many pictures of my spouse with other women, and not a once has it entered my brain that, therefore, he must be boning them.

Yup, she is still riding that train right at the front. I believe she and Valeri own a winery now. I don't think they are as fundie as Kirk as Valeri competed in Battle of the Blades on CBC in 2010. I doubt Kirk would approve of some of the positions they had to get into.

Candace also, for the last three or so years, had a role on the ABC Family (don't let the name of the channel fool you; it's only still Family because there's a clause that prevents them from changing it, they're aimed at teens) show Make It or Break It. Where she - gasp! - had to KISS a few different actors who were love interests. However, her character was a super-Christian who was born again and was waiting for marriage to have sex. Thankfully, they've ditched her for the show's last season, because she was terrible and had zero chemistry with anyone.

He was a staunch atheist until he was about 17, then he found Jesus hiding behind the couch, and that's when Mike Seaver went from being a normal girl-crazy boy to grade-A dip-shit. I remember that one woman being fired. It's outrageous how much clout he was given.

Was that the blonde girl who played the babysitter? I think I remember this incident from the E! True Hollywood Story... :oops: Dang, I can't even watch Growing Pains now without thinking about how much of a douche he is.

I have my suspicions about whether he was an atheist. He has no idea what atheism entails or what they believe.

daelem - and experiencedd, not that you're reading this ;) - the quotes are for Cameron and anybody reading here who thinks Cameron's policy is perfectly fine, up to and including having his goons people physically shove a woman who's trying to do her job.

As to misogyny in that passage, it's not there, taken in context: the writer was communicating to men in a culture that truly devalued women and considered them almost unhuman. The writer was making the point that just because men tend to have the physical strength - and in that society, the economic and political strength - they are not to bully those with less strength, i.e., weaker.

ETA: Taken as a general rule for today's society, I still don't see the misogyny - women tend not to have body strength equivalent to men, thus it behooves men to refrain from strongarming and bullying and intimidating. "Weaker" in this case is not a pejorative, but a statement of fact.

~~~~~~~~~~~

..... That photo of his birthday, when i first saw it, made me feel sad for him: Nobody would even walk into the room with him??? But now, his "no photos" policy really explains it, doesn't it? The women could not be close enough to him to have left any possibility of the photo being 'shopped to show them together. What a lonely life he must lead. JMHO, of course.

Well, thanks for making my point even clearer - you're interpreting that piece of scripture to suit yourself. You can make up any story you want to make that piece of shit look like a rose, but it's still stinks. And you can't make a blanket statement about the physical strength of men vs. women because there are far too many variables.

You're such a phony.

I bet he uses the "appearence of evil" argument.

I have my suspicions about whether he was an atheist. He has no idea what atheism entails or what they believe.

Yeah, that.

He may have grown up in a non-religious/non-spiritual household, and later considered that "atheism." But if he was ever any sort of atheist, he didn't arrive at that position by thinking about it. "I didn't have a religious life before becoming a Christian, and didn't really believe in anything" could be read as "I was an atheist," but only in a passive, unthinking, acting-by-default way.

Yeah, that.

He may have grown up in a non-religious/non-spiritual household, and later considered that "atheism." But if he was ever any sort of atheist, he didn't arrive at that position by thinking about it. "I didn't have a religious life before becoming a Christian, and didn't really believe in anything" could be read as "I was an atheist," but only in a passive, unthinking, acting-by-default way.

I find that these uber religious types really exaggerate their pasts before "being saved." While they may claim they were raging alcoholics and druggies before they found Jesus, it usually just means that they had 2 Zimas and inhaled second hand pot smoke at a party once. I had this girl come up to me as I was walking across the quad second year of college trying to get me to come to her church. She was all like, "I used to be a punk rocker before I was saved." I could tell by the way she said "punk rocker" that the closest she ever came to punk was wearing 2 different colored sneakers during her Punky Brewster phase in second grade. I felt like she was trying to get me to join a cult.

I find that these uber religious types really exaggerate their pasts before "being saved." While they may claim they were raging alcoholics and druggies before they found Jesus, it usually just means that they had 2 Zimas and inhaled second hand pot smoke at a party once. I had this girl come up to me as I was walking across the quad second year of college trying to get me to come to her church. She was all like, "I used to be a punk rocker before I was saved." I could tell by the way she said "punk rocker" that the closest she ever came to punk was wearing 2 different colored sneakers during her Punky Brewster phase in second grade. I felt like she was trying to get me to join a cult.

QFT. "Saving" a young actor who grew up "nonreligious"/Christian-lite is not nearly as big a "win" for the cause as "saving" an atheist.

Holy overuse of air quotes, Batman...

I find that these uber religious types really exaggerate their pasts before "being saved." While they may claim they were raging alcoholics and druggies before they found Jesus

This has definitely been my experience. I'm sure plenty of folks had actual drug and alcohol problems, but there's definitely pressure for you to make yourself seem far more intensely 'sinful' than you were for your ~*testimony*~. A brief period of experimentation with weed becomes a history of wild partying or whatever, that's a common one I've witnessed.

I'll never forget the dramatic story of one youth pastor who 'didn't know who he was anymore' after a few months in a Christian fraternity where once a week they had a poker night with beer.

Guest Anonymous

And my friends in high school wondered why I didn't like him? But can we please not insult shit by associating it with Kirk Cameron. It's way more classy than he is! :obscene-tolietcrapper:

Archived