IGNORED

Valentine's Day is Ebil and Pagan!

Dev83

krislee31.blogspot.com/2012/02/valentines-day-traditions.html

So, it seems most fundies leave V-Day alone, aside from the occassional ramblings about it being a time to reflect on your love for Jesus and your family, and not to dream about Prince Charming. But not Created to be HIS! She does the deep digging to make sure that we know the sinister nature behind the holiday.

ETA: forgot to break link

Remember the above, when on February 15, men would go to a grotto, sacrifice a goat, wear its skin and whip women to ensure their fertility? Well AFTER that, the young women would gather in the city and their names were put into boxes. This was called a "lottery" and these “love notes†were called “billets.†The men of Rome would draw a billet, and the woman whose name was on it became his sexual partner with whom he would play erotic games and fornicate until the next "Lupercalia"....or February 14th. And it was all done in honor of Juno, the goddess of "love"....though "lust" is more what it looks like

Damn it. I just get some chocolate. :lol:

Wasn't Valentine invented by Hallmark?

It is a fun holiday. If she doesn't want to practice it, that is fine. However, trying to destroy someone else's fun by implying that they aren't good Christians if they enjoy giving cards or flowers just seems smug.

It is a fun holiday. If she doesn't want to practice it, that is fine. However, trying to destroy someone else's fun by implying that they aren't good Christians if they enjoy giving cards or flowers just seems smug.

I know! I want a year of kinky sex!

Juno was the goddess of marriage and women, Venus/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and sex.

Long time lurker and first time poster.

She is wrong about the history of exchanging valentines. St. Valentine would write encouraging notes and sign them "Your Valentine" which is how that practice started. But that still is a heathen Catholic practice so what do I know.

signed,

a ebil heathen Papist

I thought that was Sweetest Day.

(Sometime in October, for those who may have never heard of it before; I think it's kind of a regional card/chocolate/flowers holiday)

It's also Catholic, at least St. Valentine is. Double whammy ;)

Now, don't let the Catholics have all the fun. We Episcopalians celebrate St. Valentine too.

Name a holiday/event that has any component of fun or imagination and you'll name a pagan holiday fundies are threatened enough by to go on their predictable tirades about how evil said holidays are.

The fundies can ignore Valentine's day in the name of their righteous indignation; I couldn't care less. I, on the other hand, will enjoy my Hershey's Kisses that are in abundance these days. I don't give a crap about the romance of the day. Give me the Kisses and the homemade Valentines from the kids in my life and it's all good. Great, in fact.

If there is a god, I have a really hard time believing he or she gives a rats ass what people do in recognition of February 14.

I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day because I like expressing my love for my husband more than once a year. I prefer February 15 which is the best holiday - Half-Price Candy Day!

Though I am a Christian, I have quite a few pagan friends. They tend to celebrate Lupercalia though some do celebrate V-Day as well. Of course, I tend not to think my pagan friends are made of the ebil either so what do I know *L*

I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day because I like expressing my love for my husband more than once a year. I prefer February 15 which is the best holiday - Half-Price Candy Day!

Though I am a Christian, I have quite a few pagan friends. They tend to celebrate Lupercalia though some do celebrate V-Day as well. Of course, I tend not to think my pagan friends are made of the ebil either so what do I know *L*

It is okay not to celebrate Valentine'd Day. But I wanted to point out that those of us who do, don't only show our spouses love on Feb 14th. I wouldn't still be married if that was true. ;)

Now I have to go look up Lupercalia. It probably doesn't have anything to do with a man in a goat skin and a year of kinky sex, does it?

There isn't anything wrong with celebrating Valentine's Day. I'm not a huge fan because of all the years I was single and unhappy about being single *L*

I honestly don't know a lot about Lupercalia but I do know some pagan folks who celebrate it. My favorite pagan holiday is Samhain so that's the only one I know a little about *L*

All I saw on the blog title was "CREATED TO BE HIS" and I already knew the fun and games of "couples day" (really, who are we kidding?) was over before I scrolled down the page.

What perplexes me is how xtians complain about holidays in which earlier xtians modified to their beliefs in order to convert people. Seriously, which holiday in Western Civilization do we celebrate (as in a fancy excuse to drink, excluding NYE) that isn't somewhat associated with religion?

Well on the bright side of things, I guess now I can cite religious reasons as why I like to keep to myself on V-Day and then no one will have a legitimate excuse to bug me about it. ^^;;

Seriously though, I think she's just pissed that the only "Christian" alternative to this pagan holiday Lupercalia (because blowing wads of cash on diamonds and big boxes of chocolates is the most Christian thing you can do, amirite?) is something that ebil Catholics came up with. Anyone see the connection? Pagans can have fun. Catholics can have fun. But fundies--fundies--can't have fun. Fun is right there at the beginning of fundamentalism, and yet it's a sin? I'm never going to get it...

Well on the bright side of things, I guess now I can cite religious reasons as why I like to keep to myself on V-Day and then no one will have a legitimate excuse to bug me about it. ^^;;

Seriously though, I think she's just pissed that the only "Christian" alternative to this pagan holiday Lupercalia (because blowing wads of cash on diamonds and big boxes of chocolates is the most Christian thing you can do, amirite?) is something that ebil Catholics came up with. Anyone see the connection? Pagans can have fun. Catholics can have fun. But fundies--fundies--can't have fun. Fun is right there at the beginning of fundamentalism, and yet it's a sin? I'm never going to get it...

They're very much the Puritan type. Even the historical Puritans had some fun, but they were all hyper-strict and didn't allow their children to play games a lot.

I know! I want a year of kinky sex!

Huh, I guess I have to tell the hubs that we started ours to early. Dammit, I never get this stuff right!

And it was all done in honor of Juno, the goddess of "love" ....though "lust" is more what it looks like
What do fundies have against lust?!? I love that my hubby lusts for me, even after 7 years together. Nothing makes me feel better after a bad day then my hubby randomly grabbing a boob and saying "Oh, sorry....I can't help myself. They have magical powers." Sex with someone that you don't lust after is boring. They can have their purity and God-condoned sex, I'll take a lust fuled, dirty romp with my hubby any day!

If the early Christians would have just come up with their own stuff instead of stealing all the pagan stuff, they wouldn't have this problem!

Huh, I guess I have to tell the hubs that we started ours to early. Dammit, I never get this stuff right!

What do fundies have against lust?!? I love that my hubby lusts for me, even after 7 years together. Nothing makes me feel better after a bad day then my hubby randomly grabbing a boob and saying "Oh, sorry....I can't help myself. They have magical powers." Sex with someone that you don't lust after is boring. They can have their purity and God-condoned sex, I'll take a lust fuled, dirty romp with my hubby any day!

AMEN.

Archived