IGNORED

"Getting raped is a sign from God!"

xReems

All I can say is I hope, God forbid, nothing like this ever happens to her OR one of her old lady friends. Wonder what she'd have to say if it did?

All I can say is I hope, God forbid, nothing like this ever happens to her OR one of her old lady friends. Wonder what she'd have to say if it did?

then it would be the debils fault or god is testing her.

WHAT. THE. FUCK...

So the CHILD is to blame? This makes me want to hurt someone.

This makes me want to throw up, Who would write such an awful, stupid thing. Ugh.

This makes me want to throw up, Who would write such an awful, stupid thing. Ugh.

I have successfully scrubbed the title from my mind; describing it to survivors of fundamentalist upbringings rings no bells in anyone else's mind either, so I think it didn't sell well. It had the Focus on the Family imprint but was not a FOTF publication, if that makes any sense--Dobson did the introduction, so I guess they felt entitled to put the logo on it. Picture on the front of happy well-groomed blond boy, looked like clip art, format was big floppy paperback with stiff pages like a cheap textbook, and it was published in the early-mid '90s. I was in charge of weeding the donations down to manageable size and let me tell you I was not expecting that little nugget of poison when I opened the book.

Oh, and it was part of a series about having a perfect shiny family. Before the chapter on correcting the misbehavior of those spoiled little rape victims tripped my rage meter, I kept humming "Billboard Love" by Uncle Bonsai while I flipped the pages.

I agree, the person who wrote that is just pure evil.

How can any one choose to believe in a God that would condone rape? To me, this is an anathema. I would never even consider worshipping any one/thing/entity that would consider rape as a Godly sign. I think my fascination with fundies centres on just this thing: how can someone believe in something that treats them like garbage at worst and a second class citizen at best?

Yes, and according to one fundamentalist Christian parenting book that was donated to the library of my Lutheran church (I had great pleasure in trashing it), if you're raped by your father, it's because you have too many privileges; he has promoted you to the status of substitute wife and obviously you must be terribly spoiled, so the first step is to remove your toys and so forth.

Must not be written by the same kind of fundy as the Botkins :!:

What about the Men who are raped?

They were too effeminate and had it coming because Real Men never ever would have that happen to them and everybody knows rape is about lust so Real Men would never have a man lust after them.

Or they're bad criminals and deserved what they got because if they hadn't done the crime they wouldn't be in prison with no ladies present and then they would not have been raped in lieu of a woman.

I'm thinking that you're screwed no matter what.

Also, telling a child it's their fault for being spoiled is FUCKING BULLSHIT. And even if it were (which is FUCKING BULLSHIT), it's not like children spoil THEMSELVES, so it's doubly FUCKING BULLSHIT.

How can any one choose to believe in a God that would condone rape? To me, this is an anathema. I would never even consider worshipping any one/thing/entity that would consider rape as a Godly sign. I think my fascination with fundies centres on just this thing: how can someone believe in something that treats them like garbage at worst and a second class citizen at best?

I don't get it. I was thinking earlier that rape could be a sign from god, but if it were, that's sure as hell not a god i'd want to worship.

When I see these fundies (women mostly) absolutely debase themselves, talking about how they only deserve hell but god SAVED them from the punishment that he created for them...I just want to reach through the computer and shake them. Why would any one choose to believe all that?

My husband worked with a woman once who actually informed him that rape was gods way of telling a woman he wanted her to have a baby. I believe my husband told her she was a fuckwit. Yes, this mentality is still out there. We've still got a long way to go baby.

My husband worked with a woman once who actually informed him that rape was gods way of telling a woman he wanted her to have a baby. I believe my husband told her she was a fuckwit. Yes, this mentality is still out there. We've still got a long way to go baby.

What if you don't even get pregnant?

And anyway, how pathetic is their god anyway? 2,000 years ago: God gets a virgin pregnant just by thinking about it. He tells her via angel. 6,000 or so years ago: God makes the entire human race from dirt. He doesn't have to keep doing it, because they have a nifty self-replication feature. Today: God nudges bad people into raping others so they can make babies? What the hell happened, God? WHY SO WEAK? His powers are seriously slipping.

I don't have any stats, but I bet rape is higher in countries where women have few rights and are legally forced to be under a man's authority.

It's probably true, but the stats won't back it up because the rapes go unreported. If you live in a country where rape victims get sentenced to lashes and not being a virgin automatically makes you a fallen woman, you're not likely to tell anyone that you were raped, especially if it's by a family member.

Personally, I think the "it's the way she was dressed" or "she was someplace she shouldn't have been" is a way that women lie to themselves to feel safer. Rape is a dispicable crime that no one wants to suffer, a woman who believes that only women in shorts skirts get raped can make herself safer by wearing a long skirt. It's a false sense of security, but it works for them (and they're really good at batting anyway evidence to the contrary, samurai_sarah would be told that's what she gets for going to ebil Europe).

So what would this aunt say about the woman who was raped in her own home? It happens in public and in the victims own home, it happens late at night and durring the middle of the day. It can happen anywhere to anyone. I'd like see her tell the 79 year old lady who was raped in her own home one morning that she brought it on herself. Yeah, right. Her apron over her patio dress really turned on some random guy peeking through her windows while she went along with her morning chores. This happened in my town about 20 years ago and she died from injuries due to the rape and some fuckwits still said she brought it on herself because she was a widow living alone. :evil:

Now I feel stabby.

It was in a train station (in Europe), in the ladies. I thought the guy was a cleaner, because you get male cleaners every now and then. Well, he wasn't.

ETA: Forgot to say where precisely.

Thanks. I'm sorry that happened to you; how scary! I am paranoid about bathrooms for this reason. Especially ones in restaurants that are in the basement, away from everyone. Who thought that was a good idea!?

Yes, and according to one fundamentalist Christian parenting book that was donated to the library of my Lutheran church (I had great pleasure in trashing it), if you're raped by your father, it's because you have too many privileges; he has promoted you to the status of substitute wife and obviously you must be terribly spoiled, so the first step is to remove your toys and so forth.

:shock: So...removing the kid's toys will stop his or her father from raping him or her? I need a smiley something like this right now; none of ours are cutting it.

To answer Lainey's question on statistics, here are some sobering figures from the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN):

15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under the age of 12.

93% of juvenile victims know their attacker.

17.7 million American women have been the victims of attempted or completed rape.

Their statistics are gathered from very reliable sources (such as the U.S. Department of Justice). For more information, please see the following site: http://www.rainn.org/get-information/st ... lt-victims (link intentionally unbroken, as I imagine they WANT people to find them!)

Thanks--I had heard that most rapes are by a family member (or friend) in the victim's own home on a website before (might have been FSTDT)...it was something that actually really surprised me.

To answer Lainey's question on statistics, here are some sobering figures from the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN):

15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under the age of 12.

93% of juvenile victims know their attacker.

17.7 million American women have been the victims of attempted or completed rape.

Their statistics are gathered from very reliable sources (such as the U.S. Department of Justice). For more information, please see the following site: http://www.rainn.org/get-information/st ... lt-victims (link intentionally unbroken, as I imagine they WANT people to find them!)

Sadly, my experience bears this out and I don't trust the people I think I know with my child.

As a woman, I find this disgusting as I am sure most sane women do. I am about to vomit.

As a participant of the "Slut Walk", I am not entirely surprised. I have heard horror stories. Luckilly, I am not a statistic, but at a young age I could have been if my mother (fundie-lite) was not so obsessed with me not getting sexually molested. She worried, deeply, that it could happen to me, because it happened to her :(

A man who rapes/ molests a woman is to blame, regardless of her job, clothing, personality, etc. I truly feel that only the sickest of men need womn to be covered in order to control their urged. They need serious help. Woman who cater to them, and enable that mentatlity, are only harming us all.

P.S. I met a girl at the slut walk, who chose to wore the same outfit she was wearing when she was raped to the walk . . .jeans and a sweater.

Archived