IGNORED

Being gay leads to deportation?

slh12280

Reading the paper this morning I came across an interesting article. One member of a lesbian couple may be getting deported because their marriage is not recognized by the federal government, although it is recognized in Vermont, where they live. Apparently, one of the women is from Japan and she can only stay here if the federal government recognizes their union. Obviously, they are trying to fight it and go to court, but it looks like their victory is not likely due to DOMA. Thought it was a thought provoking article. Thoughts?

The DOJ has stopped defending DOMA, so it will be interesting to see how cases like this go now (and only strengthens the case that Obama needs to be much more forceful on GLBT issues).

Glenn Greenwald, a prominent progressive blogger, is in a similar situation. His long-time partner is Brazilian, however, and Glenn spends a lot of time in Brazil - because that country will grant visas based on same-sex relationships. From Wikipedia: "In a May 2008 interview, Greenwald explained that 'even though Brazil has the largest Catholic population of any country in the world' and 'was a military dictatorship until 1985': 'I’m able to obtain from the Brazilian government a permanent visa because my Brazilian partner's government recognizes our relationship for immigration purposes, while the government of my supposedly 'free,' liberty-loving country enacted a law explicitly barring such recognition.'"

Archived